tell us about the last Film you saw

beware_of_mr_baker_ver2.jpg

Excellent documentary about Ginger Baker. 8/10.

V/H/S, a found footage portmanteau movie from 2012.

I didn't hold out much hope for this, particularly as those shaky-cam movies are very 1905, and I find the effect dizzying, but this was pretty good. It's stuffed through with irritating loud mouthed jocks and you really cannot wait for their demise. Added to the mix are assorted nubile young women, all of whom are only ever mere seconds from disrobing. Another plus.

Like Cloverfield you often cannot see the monster, ghost or killer properly due to the video tracking effects but it adds to the overall feel of the movie. Films like this don't appeal to me usually because I just don't have the... the... What was I saying? Oh, yes, sorry, the attention span, and you really have to pay attention to every frame to piece it all together. Too often when watching movies my eyes drift to my iPad in case the world has ended and I hadn't noticed.

Anyway, I give it a 7.5 out of ten.

V/H/S 2 tonight.

How To kill Your Neighbours Dog. 2006.

Starring Kenneth Branagh, Robin Wright Penn, Lynne Redgrave, and a young girl who's name doesn't make the Cover of the DVD, but is a darn fine little actress..

I picked this up in a "Poundland" shop, as it was cheap, I liked the title, and had recently saw KB being interviewed on UK TV ( Graham Nortons show, I think,) and he came across well as a decent sort.( I've also saw him in a few other roles, and he's usually a good actor...).

Anyway, Billed as a "Razor Witted comedy" on the box, I/we settled down to watch it.
The story is of a Playwright (Branagh), who is past his best work, but working on a new play to revive his career. He happens to be married to Robin Wright Penn, who is utterly obsessed with having a baby, Much to Branaghs distaste, as, as we sort of learn, he is NOT that fond of Children.
He also suffers from severe insomnia, and is kept awake even more by his neighbours dog ( hence the title...).

Into his life/street however, comes a single Mother with a ten year old Daughter, and he begins to see the child as some sort of "Inspiration" for the play he is working on, and starts to study her 10 years old way of seeing the world. ( At first, both we, the viewers, AND Kenneth Branagh think she is just a bit "Shy", but later on learn she suffers with Cerebral palsy).
He gradually builds up a relationship with the young girl, and they become friends.

Thrown into this mix is also a Stalker Fan that Branagh Has, Lynne Redgrave suffering from Alzheimers, and the GAYEST Male Stage director ( Is there really EVER any Other type....yawn...) that has ever been stereotyped beyond belief into existence.

It did indeed have some LOL moments, and I enjoyed watching it.
It was pretty well written and acted, and one particular scene where Branagh sounds off at the Young girls mother for "Holding back her childs dreams" was very well done indeed.

Special mention goes out also to the "Eye in the sky" lady in the helicopter, giving the weather forecast live on TV. She is just "Funny"

the "Product Placement" of cigarette-smoking throughout I found actually atrocious however, and I AM a HEAVY Smoker myself. it distracted me from the story too much at times, as I was trying to count how many KB actually smoked a day, instead of following the plot
I will NOT say if the title actually happens or not, as that is a sort of "Running Joke" throughout the movie, and I wouldn't like to give too much away as it is.
BUT....#SPOILER ALERT....# The End credits clear everything up.....keep watching....

This movie was well worth the watch at such a low price, and, IF you are a fan of Kenneth Branaghs films, THIS is one of his better movies ( despite the fact that I had never heard of it before..).
The musical score, however was a tad "Twee", and sort of intruded because of it....But it was EXACTLY the kind of music score that the producers would choose for This sort of film ....and also VERY heavy on the Petula Clark references, for some strange reason....

8/10 for the sake of being worth watching anyway, 9/10 for a Kenneth Branagh "Lightweight" movie.....back soon, just off to check the DVD credits as the Young actress playing the 10 year old deserves a name-Check here....As she is quite Awesome in this movie....

Amy( the young Girl) is played by Suzi Hofrichter.
"Eye in the sky" lady is played by Tamala Jones, and...I almost forgot..

....Kenneth Branaghs use of Swearing is absolutely Phenomenal in this movie!!!

Last edited:
Re: tell us about the last Film you saw.

ROBOCOP2.jpg

Okay. I watched the original, we all know it's a classic and has all the action packed humor and director's unique spin to make it a great film. So I've watched the sequel (second time as I've seem to have forgotten it first time around) and suddenly we have one of the worst scripts ever written. The bad guys are just unbelievable. A drug gang that Robocop could possibly easily defeat and the ringleader seems to be a drugged up hippie called Kane who becomes a robot (so poorly written and shot that it's laughable from the beginning) and then the deputy leader of the drug gang is a little boy who swears and commits acts of violence (ohhh very threatening and scary!! would you really let a little boy really lead a drug gang???) followed by a hooker! Plot-wise the script is too simple and easy as there's no challenge for Robocop. The special effects and film budget fall slightly towards the end. Many people say it's not as bad as Robocop 3, so I'm going to be brave and possibly watch it tonight! :cool:

Terrible film

Re: tell us about the last Film you saw.

last night I watched V/H/S, which I mostly liked, so I give it a B
& then V/H/S 2 which I liked parts of so I give it a C-

The Book Thief.

Picture postcard Nazi Germany, portrayed in the sort of beautiful, idealised manner Leni Riefenstahl could only have dreamt of.

I had to check afterwards if the source material was a children's book. Apparently it isn't.

- - - Updated - - -

ROBOCOP2.jpg

Okay. I watched the original, we all know it's a classic and has all the action packed humor and director's unique spin to make it a great film. So I've watched the sequel (second time as I've seem to have forgotten it first time around) and suddenly we have one of the worst scripts ever written. The bad guys are just unbelievable. A drug gang that Robocop could possibly easily defeat and the ringleader seems to be a drugged up hippie called Kane who becomes a robot (so poorly written and shot that it's laughable from the beginning) and then the deputy leader of the drug gang is a little boy who swears and commits acts of violence (ohhh very threatening and scary!! would you really let a little boy really lead a drug gang???) followed by a hooker! Plot-wise the script is too simple and easy as there's no challenge for Robocop. The special effects and film budget fall slightly towards the end. Many people say it's not as bad as Robocop 3, so I'm going to be brave and possibly watch it tonight! :cool:

Terrible film

Written by Frank Miller of The Dark Knight Returns fame, I think. It is pretty bad, but I still quite like it.

The Book Thief.

Picture postcard Nazi Germany, portrayed in the sort of beautiful, idealised manner Leni Riefenstahl could only have dreamt of.

I had to check afterwards if the source material was a children's book. Apparently it isn't.

- - - Updated - - -

Written by Frank Miller of The Dark Knight Returns fame, I think. It is pretty bad, but I still quite like it.

Woah, really? Same guy? That is amazing! Maybe it was the budget after that...but jesus, the plots of Robocop 2 and 3 aren't amazing. Maybe his work was butchered?

Saw Monuments Men . I'm a sucker for WWII films . Great cast but action was bit slow because these guys were usually behind the front line troops. Enjoyed the story .

"Sometimes, being a bitch is all a woman has to hold on to."

So true.

"An accident, Dolores, can be an unhappy woman's best friend."

That's true too. :)

Dolores Claiborne. Excellent cast for an excellent film and probably an excellent book by Stephen King.
-Not much of a mysogynist then, our Stephen :) -

black_sunday_02.jpg

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
About this couple who invite two guys who are hurting for money into their home and pay them to do weird shit for the fun of it. It’s got some funny parts and it’s kind of gross. I give it a B-

images9.jpg

Tags
film movies
Back
Top Bottom