tell us about the last Film you saw

"The Fallen Idol" (1948)

Michele Morgan & Jack Hawkins.png

* Excellent film with superb performances by Ralph Richardson, Sonia Dresdel, Michele Morgan, Denis O'Dea, and one of the best, if not thee best, child performances by Bobby Henrey. Richardson, Morgan, O'Dea, and Henrey all turn in astonishingly natural performances. It's been awhile since I've seen a film that flows so effortlessly with natural, mostly subtle, genuinely graceful performances as these. I don't know if I'd describe Sonia Dresdel's performance as completely natural, it's just damn good. Dresdel is a tour-de-force expressing the full gamut of human emotion, most of it dwelling on the darker side of human emotion. Michele Morgan is so incredibly beautiful in this film. Her eyes, her voice, her face, the way she carries herself, her natural, earnest acting style that attracts you to her and makes you root for her. She is still alive today and is now 96 years old.

* All of the other actors and actresses in the film are great too. Bernard Lee, Jack Hawkins, Dora Bryan, etc. I love the actors who play the policeman who runs into Phile on the street and his boss, who is the Sergeant at the station. They too are just both so natural with nothing forced in their performances. They both, in different ways, express such warmth and gentle compassion.

* I don't know very much about the technical aspects of directing a film, I only know what my eyes love to see, and I loved watching almost every frame of this film. I've known about Carol Reed as I watched "The Third Man" ten or twelve years ago and have seen about a half of "Oliver." Neither of those films knocked my socks off. However, this one did. Carol Reed and cinema photographer Georges Perinal dazzle in this film. I love the way they vividly bring the embassy itself to life, in the daytime and at night, with its different size staircases (including a breathtaking spirally grand one), cool architecture, shadows, a little pet snake ( although at times he looks kind of plastic), awesome little balcony with the best view of all-time, etc. I also love the way they captured the nighttime London streets as Phile darts through them as he runs from the shock and confusion that he just experienced. This film is directed as good as any of Alfred Hitchcock's best, or William Wyler's best, and that is high praise indeed.

* This film surprised me in multiple ways. Characters I thought that may turn dark instead ended up exuding more light. A character who I knew leaned dark became a lot darker than I thought she would. I disliked this character but I felt strongly gravitated towards the wonderful actress who brought her to life, Sonia Dresdel. I wasn't expecting such a strong and altogether different style of performance from a child actor. The film is seen through his eyes, we're with him the whole way, even looking into the eyes of a cobra as it strikes at us. Initially I thought Michele Morgan (Julie) was nice looking but as the film goes on I pretty much fell in love with her. Her style, and the way that she carried herself, and her beautiful acting was like a magnet to me. The storyline took some surprising turns as well that I really appreciated. Also, I was surprised by all the lying in the film, lies everywhere, and yet understandable lies. Early on in the film Ralph Richardson (who was a world class actor) tells his wife that, "Some lies are kindness." He's absolutely right, I do believe that some lies are kindness, and sometimes, maybe most of the time, kindness is more important than the truth.

* I loved the final ten minutes of the film with the exception of the last two or three. The final two or three minutes don't ruin the movie at all, they're just annoying. It reminded me of the Milos Forman masterpiece, "Amadeus," which is a phenomenal film with a pretty much disappointing final two or three minutes. The final two or three minutes, of both films, doesn't take hardly anything away from the magnificence of them, it just kind of disappoints you and makes you wish they ended it in a cooler way.

* On a scale of one to ten, with ten being the highest mark, I have to give this film a ten. A 10 is what it deserves.

The Fallen Idol 2.jpg

"The Fallen Idol" (1948)

Last edited:
watching war of the buttons (1995 version) and its one of my favorite movies of all time. so very moving. i recommend it highly plus its got some nice scenes of irish life

515SA0X2yKL._SY300_.jpg

marty (1955)

twas great and am now watching

confessions of a dangerous mind and tis also great

That looks fun. Gonna check it out.

its really really exceptional in the best way a "kids" movie can be. it has its serious moments and never exaggerates. takes on the repercussions of class and poverty while these kids have their adventure. its based on a french 60's film and they made a 2000's third remake but this is the version to watch. very moving to me and realistic. its rentable on amazonfor 2.99 but wasnt on netflix sadly. tell me what you think when you get around to it as id be interested in your opinion

its really really exceptional in the best way a "kids" movie can be. it has its serious moments and never exaggerates. takes on the repercussions of class and poverty while these kids have their adventure. its based on a french 60's film and they made a 2000's third remake but this is the version to watch. very moving to me and realistic. its rentable on amazonfor 2.99 but wasnt on netflix sadly. tell me what you think when you get around to it as id be interested in your opinion

Found it. Will watch it this weekend. :) Thanks!

Interstellar

This took longer than usual to hit the web and maybe it should never have been available at all. This is by far the worst sci-fi I have ever seen and the walking and talking fridge in it made my girlfriend burst out in laughter. It made me think of the worlds most tacky tv series, Dr. Who, and although it is based on some facts and theories the actors in it can never again be seen as serious.

I am fascinated by the aspect of time and room and black holes and other galaxies but when they finally made a film about it then it turned out to be absolutely useless. Matthew McConaughey has been starring in a lot of films in recent years and I wonder why. I guess his accent and voice has something to do with it but after this one I hope he takes a break and consider other career possibilities.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Interview. About as funny as a dose of the clap.

How this film caused such a furore is a sad indictment on today's society.

I've shit better pictures

Interstellar

This took longer than usual to hit the web and maybe it should never have been available at all. This is by far the worst sci-fi I have ever seen and the walking and talking fridge in it made my girlfriend burst out in laughter. It made me think of the worlds most tacky tv series, Dr. Who, and although it is based on some facts and theories the actors in it can never again be seen as serious.

I am fascinated by the aspect of time and room and black holes and other galaxies but when they finally made a film about it then it turned out to be absolutely useless. Matthew McConaughey has been starring in a lot of films in recent years and I wonder why. I guess his accent and voice has something to do with it but after this one I hope he takes a break and consider other career possibilities.

If you like sci fi books black holes math and horror try out the necroscope series by Brian lumley. Even incorporates the fail Star Wars project and pathagreous as a character

Watched tinker tailor solider spy again, so good I hope they make the sequal, and I wanted someone to reccommend another spy movie that was not an action movie.

Oh and rb did you ever watch war of the buttons?

http://dreamfilmhd.com/movies/details/6953-serena/

Serena

Not about the famous tennis player, this is about the 1930's and the timber industry. The setup is like a mini "Little House on the Prairie" and it manages to waste about 50 minutes on nothing but after that things start to happen. The danish director has mixed up american, british and scandinavian actors that are all powerful in their own right and in the end the result is quite good if you focus on the psychological part of the film and a womans struggles with not being able to have a child. Well worth the watch but the overall story is too thin to generate that extra something and that is a real shame.

Excellent rockumentary. Watch on Netlix for better quality video.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and rb did you ever watch war of the buttons?

Got sidetracked. You know how that is. But plan to watch it soon as the spirit moves me. I pick what I watch, oftentimes, by the mood I'm in.

Excellent rockumentary. Watch on Netlix for better quality video.

- - - Updated - - -

Got sidetracked. You know how that is. But plan to watch it soon as the spirit moves me. I pick what I watch, oftentimes, by the mood I'm in.

no rush.

Jim Jarmusch, just one of the many people kims gordon just happened to be friends with before they were famous.

http://www.swefilmer.com/third-person-2013/third-person-2013-video_dce5a823a.html

Third Person

This one is filled with famous faces and in my view is a brilliant drama where you need to think for yourself without the director having to write every explanation on the viewers nose. I was happy to see Liam Neeson in maybe his first film where he is not some sort of Johnny on the spot character and instead he plays an author with some sort of midlife crisis brought on by domestic events.

The story weaves together a few characters and their troubles in NYC, Rome and Paris and managed to keep me interested throughout despite the slow pace of events. Mila Kunis plays a really miserable character in this one and Adrien Brody needs a smartphone instead of the 90's mobile he uses in this one and in the end you get to piece it all together and come to a conclusion what this film is about.

Incest and kids dying from accidents, happy happy happy.

Tags
film movies
Back
Top Bottom