Thank You Moz!

munkedukr

So, I've been thinking about this whole Morrissey thing and what it's meant to me recently. I'm going to the show at Ruth Eckerd Hall, which will be a momentous occasion for me - it's the first concert of any type I've been to in 10 years! I've never been the superfan people here are, but in my younger days I was totally obsessed with music in general. In high school and college it was the only thing that mattered. Then something inexplicable happened - I stopped being interested. I don't know how it happened or why, but for the last 10 years I've only purchased a few CDs and rarely listen to the hundreds I already have. This all changed a few months ago when I found out Moz would be playing nearby, at a small intimate theater! I knew I couldn't miss it. After I got my ticket I bought ROTT and Earls Court so I could familiarize myself with his recent work. The last Moz CD I bought was Kill Uncle. I also saw him on that tour, but I was more of a Smiths fan back then and wasn't too impressed with his solo work. Listening to ROTT and Earls Court has enabled me to fall in love with music again. I'm able to listen to Smiths stuff I haven't heard in years and appreciate it more than ever before, and I like Moz's new stuff more than I could imagine. Joining this forum has only solidified my musical reawakening. I'm not the obsessive most of you are, but it's nice to see people who have the same love and appreciation for good music I have. And I do know about musical obsession - I was a Deadhead in a previous life. Anyway, enough of my rambling. Hopefully after the show I won't be totally sick of all things Morrissey and I'll stick around here for awhile. One last thing. When Moz exits the theater I plan to stick a burlap sack over him, lift him upon my shoulders and run away with him, like what Borat tried to do with Pamela Anderson. So those of you with tickets for the remaining dates of the tour, consider it canceled. Sorry! I probably shouldn't even joke like this. I can see the responses already - "You call yourself a fan?! How dare you treat my Mozie that way!"

So, I've been thinking about this whole Morrissey thing and what it's meant to me recently. I'm going to the show at Ruth Eckerd Hall, which will be a momentous occasion for me - it's the first concert of any type I've been to in 10 years! I've never been the superfan people here are, but in my younger days I was totally obsessed with music in general. In high school and college it was the only thing that mattered. Then something inexplicable happened - I stopped being interested. I don't know how it happened or why, but for the last 10 years I've only purchased a few CDs and rarely listen to the hundreds I already have. This all changed a few months ago when I found out Moz would be playing nearby, at a small intimate theater! I knew I couldn't miss it. After I got my ticket I bought ROTT and Earls Court so I could familiarize myself with his recent work. The last Moz CD I bought was Kill Uncle. I also saw him on that tour, but I was more of a Smiths fan back then and wasn't too impressed with his solo work. Listening to ROTT and Earls Court has enabled me to fall in love with music again. I'm able to listen to Smiths stuff I haven't heard in years and appreciate it more than ever before, and I like Moz's new stuff more than I could imagine. Joining this forum has only solidified my musical reawakening. I'm not the obsessive most of you are, but it's nice to see people who have the same love and appreciation for good music I have. And I do know about musical obsession - I was a Deadhead in a previous life. Anyway, enough of my rambling. Hopefully after the show I won't be totally sick of all things Morrissey and I'll stick around here for awhile. One last thing. When Moz exits the theater I plan to stick a burlap sack over him, lift him upon my shoulders and run away with him, like what Borat tried to do with Pamela Anderson. So those of you with tickets for the remaining dates of the tour, consider it canceled. Sorry! I probably shouldn't even joke like this. I can see the responses already - "You call yourself a fan?! How dare you treat my Mozie that way!"

only an "obsessed" fan would do that.

Who cares about the negative responses, this buxom blonde likes your post.

If you do run away with him, please return him safe and sound once you're done with him.....take as long as you want, but return him. :)

I like the burlap sack idea.
I'm pleased for you :) Make sure you give us a full report the morning after the show. 9am. On my desk.

Lure him with a kitten and a pot of tea. That's always been my tentative plan for kidnapping Morrissey, anyway.

Listening to ROTT and Earls Court has enabled me to fall in love with music again... I like Moz's new stuff more than I could imagine. Joining this forum has only solidified my musical reawakening.

Ah munkedukr, that sounds very familiar!

I've been in bands continuously since the '80s but, with very few exceptions, I just could not connect with any new music. I'd been there and done that, and a certain jadedness had set in.

When someone casually mentioned that Morrissey was going to release Quarry back in '04 something inside just clicked, and I thought "that's exactly who I need right now - MORRISSEY!" My history with him was on-and-off since The Smiths - I also did not care as much for his solo work. The first time I listened to Quarry I just went completely mad! Like all those layers of dust were just blown away, and I could feel music again. Hearing his voice triggered something long dormant, and I instantly became the hopeless obsessive that has spent waaaay to much time with Morrissey every since - I always knew he was trouble!

The best part of it is that I can now hear other new music as well. He opened up the floodgates, and I will love him to the day either of us dies for the incredible good that he has done me.

This is why Morrissey should not retire (to reference that other thread). He is still blessed with that rarest of gifts - the ability, through song, to change lives in a profound way. I was lucky enough to have The Smiths when I was a smartass kid, and I consider myself very lucky indeed that Morrissey is still around to inspire me as a wiser, but still wayward adult.

The quality of his work may waver, but Morrissey himself is a fixed point - we just move in and out of his influence.

Ah munkedukr, that sounds very familiar!

I've been in bands continuously since the '80s but, with very few exceptions, I just could not connect with any new music. I'd been there and done that, and a certain jadedness had set in.

When someone casually mentioned that Morrissey was going to release Quarry back in '04 something inside just clicked, and I thought "that's exactly who I need right now - MORRISSEY!" My history with him was on-and-off since The Smiths - I also did not care as much for his solo work. The first time I listened to Quarry I just went completely mad! Like all those layers of dust were just blown away, and I could feel music again. Hearing his voice triggered something long dormant, and I instantly became the hopeless obsessive that has spent waaaay to much time with Morrissey every since - I always knew he was trouble!

The best part of it is that I can now hear other new music as well. He opened up the floodgates, and I will love him to the day either of us dies for the incredible good that he has done me.

This is why Morrissey should not retire (to reference that other thread). He is still blessed with that rarest of gifts - the ability, through song, to change lives in a profound way. I was lucky enough to have The Smiths when I was a smartass kid, and I consider myself very lucky indeed that Morrissey is still around to inspire me as a wiser, but still wayward adult.

The quality of his work may waver, but Morrissey himself is a fixed point - we just move in and out of his influence.

I enjoyed reading this. so nice, so true!! *applause* :D:D

Excellent burlap idea! :D :p

I think that it's wonderful you have had this awakening, which I think is one vital thing. I honestly don't think after your show, you will be sick of all things Morrissey....I really think it will do just the opposite. Your going to see even more what was dorment in your life for those 10 odd years. And you'll become an obssesive sooner than you think.....;)

Seeing Moz live, it does something to the mind.....wonderfully so. You won't be disappointed! I hope you enjoy yourself very very much!! :)

Back
Top Bottom