"The Boy With The Thorn..." demo 7" confirmed for Record Store Day - The Future Heart

Nikey posted the link (original post):

CONFIRMED RECORD STORE DAY 2017 RELEASES - The Future Heart

Excerpt:

Below is a list of every record due out April 22, 2017 (including some that will only be released in specific regions and some that may end up being released independent of RecordStoreDay.com’s campaign, and therefore will not appear on the organization’s list). The below items were combed together from numerous sources confirming their release, including announcements from various labels, statements direct from artists and online databases of distributors. Many releases are still to be announced. Follow twitter/TheFutureHeart and facebook/TheFutureHeart for updates.

Smiths, The – The Boy With The Thorn In His Side / Rubber Ring [7 ”] (unreleased demo versions, new artwork featuring actor Albert Finney, limited to 5000, indie-retail exclusive)

39767_C57I-s-WcAAFyVz.jpg

Related item:

Last edited:
Just listened to it, sounded good for just a demo version. Couldn't find any differences straight away.

New cover art is much better. The old one looked a bit amateur.

Here's what's written about it on RSD's website:

Smiths, The - The Boy With The Thorn In His Side

Format:
1 x 43g 7" Black vinyl (dinked)
Label:
Rhino
More Info:

Building towards the overall plan for the Queen Is Dead releases next year there will be a 7" single featuring two previously unreleased versions of The Boy With The Thorn In His Side and Rubber Ring:A. The Boy With The Thorn In His Side (demo mix) B. Rubber Ring (early Drone Studios version).

".....overall plan for 'The Queen Is Dead' releases next year....."??

Last edited:
The former cover art could feasibly be on the back of the sleeve, I suppose.....or maybe it hadn't been cleared at the time Morrissey posted it. I think I prefer the new photo, as well. A really great shot of a young Albert Finney.

My thoughts exactly, surely this can't be it? It's pretty must identical.

This version is roughly 6 seconds longer, and it starts with just the drums.
I agree it is very similar overall though, the vocal itself may well be the same as used in the final version.

As well as starting on the drums, the drums in general seem higher in the mix to my cauliflower ears. I seem to remember the background story being that The Smiths went into the studio to record some demos and 'The Boy....' came out so well that only a minimal amount of overdubs etc. were required to bring the recording up to a level to be released as a single. It was then mixed further before being included on 'The Queen Is Dead' album. Hearing the demo mix now certainly supports that theory.

When they said 'demo', I was expecting a completely different earlier recording. On first listen, this seems like a very, very slightly different version of the final mix. I'm only listening on shitty speakers at work, but the vocals sound identical to me. I'll try and go through this carefully on headphones later, but anyone want to try and list the actual differences (like that opening drum roll)?

yes the drums do sound louder, pity. ;)

kidding. Though maybe the record itself sounds better, I don't care for it/the mix. Can't beat the original.

Has anyone since been this original ?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom