The Conan Performance..thoughts?

I think you have a little crush on me.

Anyway, while I arguably could have been more specific in my wording, I meant "no-one in the band" when I said the band are all wearing t-shirts of someone who no-one owns a record by.

Somehow I just don't see Solomon spinning Chelsea Girl at home on a desultory Thursday afternoon...

I do love how you felt the need to identify Nico as the person on the shirt for all of us here, in the same sentence as making sure we all know that you own her vinyl.

You just get cooler and cooler with each post...I'm gonna need a sweater in here, son!

I do tend to have a thing for damaged goods.
So essentially, what you WANTED me to post was, "I own a record by her." Something about forum etiquette, yeah?
Mmk. Next time I'll send you a PM with what I intend to post beforehand and you can proofread it for me before it goes on the thread.
So other than owning a Nico record and stating so, what else constitutes being a hipster?

I'll be your tshirt, reflect what you are, in case you don't know...:p

I agree with everyone else. "People Are The Same Everywhere" seems to be one of those throwaway B-Sides and belongs on Swords rather than a proper album...ha! I could probably even list some off songs on Swords that beat his newer stuff.
He made the wrong choice, Scandinavia seems like the right choice.

I agree with everyone else. "People Are The Same Everywhere" seems to be one of those throwaway B-Sides and belongs on Swords rather than a proper album...ha! I could probably even list some off songs on Swords that beat his newer stuff.
He made the wrong choice, Scandinavia seems like the right choice.

The dude has a total boner for Jesse Tobias...I bet you this is going to be the first single off the new album. It's like he's sacrificing his popularity in order to line his boyfriend's pockets.

The dude has a total boner for Jesse Tobias...I bet you this is going to be the first single off the new album. It's like he's sacrificing his popularity in order to line his boyfriend's pockets.

That's if they are going out? He seems wayyy to young. Morrissey is old enough to be his dad *shivers*

I hope to god that they don't release this as a single because I know for a fact that this song will not chart at all. Except maybe the Indie charts?

Boz didn't get much screen time....and his fatty breast makes NICO look like she has an infected eye.

Last edited:
That's if they are going out? He seems wayyy to young. Morrissey is old enough to be his dad *shivers*

Yeah...if the average age of a dad is 13. Well, I guess it is in the ghetto...

I just watched it in HD ginormovision. Morrissey looks RAWR! And Conan seemed to have a boner for Jesse's headstock. :cool:

The 1080p HD video I uploaded?

No I just watched it on our livingroom tv which takes up half the wall. Last night I watched it on my bedroom tv which is circa 1990 technology. :p

...I haven't saw it yet......just sayin'....anyone got a "Link" that will actually play for me please??? thanx...

EDIT:- just watched it on youtube....quite liked it actually...Mozzers voice sounded strong...band sounded a bit too "loud"...but I'll let him /them Live....Maybe I've been out of the "Morrissey" loop for a while, but I didn't recognise the ( rather handsome, actually) bass player....anyone know who he/she is ???

Last edited:
I don't know if I'd call it "sad"...just unfortunate. They are what they are...a solid bar band being led musically by a bored, fat, out-of-ideas rockabilly pastiche obsessive...granted, Boz wrote some phenomenal songs in his time, but those days are long gone. They came and went with youth rather than, I'm sorry to say, being borne of a genuinely artistic soul.

What's truly unfortunate, though, is that although Morrissey probably will reach a point where he simply can't do it anymore physically or intellectually, I actually do not think he is quite at that point now. Maybe not by a long shot...but there's no way to know, because he has holed himself with such a dearth of talent that although he is doing the best with what he's got, it simply amounts to little more than anemic pantomime.

I think he is at a point where if the context were different, if he changed things up a bit, challenged himself, found a different musical backdrop, he could still pull some astonishing art out of his ass. He is stagnated because, frankly, I think he was significantly damaged by his American exile years, culturally and inspirationally. He took a blow that did not immediately manifest itself (largely because he still had Alain, but also because many of those songs were already kicking around for awhile) but certainly by the time of the Refusal sessions, he was running on empty. He has committed some truly suicidal artistic moves.

There's a lot of bitching about Jesse on here, and most of it I agree with, but the main problem with Jesse is not that he can't play, but that he can't write. When Jesse plays Smiths songs or early Solo songs, they sound anywhere from roided up to pissed on, but they're still great songs. It's that essence, that original muse, that no degree of hamfistedness can ruin.

But the fact is, the guy just can't write a decent tune. Yet Morrissey loves him and looks to him for the furtherment of his career...as Alain rots away, as Street rots away, as Johnny rots away, as God knows who else amazing rots away.

You can take the most brilliant artist on earth, but if he sits in a room where he is looking out a window at the same sky, same field, no houses, no buildings, no people, no life, and he never lets himself leave...then eventually he will just deteriorate artistically. Granted, while he's in that little room he's safe...and for a while, maybe a long while, he can run on reserve but eventually he's going to die. The safety comes at the expense of inspiration.

Morrissey would rather make solid -albeit safe- rock music at this point rather than art. Whether this is because he's lost the plot, or because in his mind he sounds like the Dolls, or because he's proving a point... I don't know.

When you force yourself to subsist on bread and water, you can live for a long time, but you're gonna feel and look like shit. Musically, for God knows what reason, that's what he's doing to himself. He's forcing himself to subsist on the bare minimum of nourishment. The results are the last batch of songs...each bearing a distinct trace of a once truly great artistic mind. But, while Bland Morrissey is still better than a lot of stuff out there, he could still -even at this late date- be so much better.

But not for long.

Remember people, this thread is absolutely NOT an excuse to rip into Morrissey :rolleyes:
You've got way too much of a passion for picking out faults, if I didn't know better I'd say you come here with the aim of venting your spleen at every opportunity.

Great performance, good song.
Not his best, not his worst.
Brilliant to see him back on the box, looking healthy, his voice is sounding really strong at the moment.
Not the strongest song of the new material, but certainly the ''poppiest'' and ''catchiest'', which is why I assume Moz picked it to play on tv.

Back
Top Bottom