The Conan Performance..thoughts?

Thank you Very much girl-with-the-thorn....you posted that for me while I was actually watching it on Youtube!!! ( see ""Edit" above...) , so as a thanks to your Linking it for me, I watched it again!!....It does Get better, the more I listen...cheers!!!:thumb:

I like the song and it's a good performance.
What do people want? The next Hand In Glove? Well, that will never happen...

If you don't like him, don't look at (or listen to) him.

He will release it, actually.
He's going to release a new album full of material. whether most people on here like it or not.
These Things Take Time :D

...and a multi-million dollar record contract, apparently.

THIS IS NOT AN ATTEMPT TO STIR SHIT ABOUT MORRISSEY. Just a few honest observations...

Well I don't believe those are honest observations - I think you are stirring shit. This is honesty should you not recognise it:

I like the song - I don't like the "creator" reference and it isn't the best of the new songs - but its good
I thought the performance was very good, the band were tight and engaged and the vocal was great - bet you couldn't sing like that
I thought the band looked good it those t-shirts and Morrissey looked slim and fit and well.

What can I say? I love my work.

The disclaimer was a semi-sincere one; what I was saying was that I wasn't posting purely for the sake of being negative, just to be truthful about the performance as I saw it.

Is that OK with you?

Believe me, I'd love to see him hit a home run these days, and I'd be the first to rant and rave about how great he is. But if he does something I see as subpar, I'm gonna comment on it. If you actually read that long diatribe of mine that you quoted, you'd see I'm far from the school that says he is irredeemably washed up, or past his peak, or point-of-no-return bad. On the contrary I still (for some reason) have great faith in him and very positive memories of his former glories, which is why watching things like the Conan clip pisses me off.

I tried my best I honestly did, but much like your aversion to listening or seeing Morrissey's new material, I'm growing pretty tired of reading labored posts from you being a whiney little bitch over and over again.

I don't know if I'd call it "sad"...just unfortunate. They are what they are...a solid bar band being led musically by a bored, fat, out-of-ideas rockabilly pastiche obsessive...granted, Boz wrote some phenomenal songs in his time, but those days are long gone. They came and went with youth rather than, I'm sorry to say, being borne of a genuinely artistic soul.

What's truly unfortunate, though, is that although Morrissey probably will reach a point where he simply can't do it anymore physically or intellectually, I actually do not think he is quite at that point now. Maybe not by a long shot...but there's no way to know, because he has holed himself with such a dearth of talent that although he is doing the best with what he's got, it simply amounts to little more than anemic pantomime.

I think he is at a point where if the context were different, if he changed things up a bit, challenged himself, found a different musical backdrop, he could still pull some astonishing art out of his ass. He is stagnated because, frankly, I think he was significantly damaged by his American exile years, culturally and inspirationally. He took a blow that did not immediately manifest itself (largely because he still had Alain, but also because many of those songs were already kicking around for awhile) but certainly by the time of the Refusal sessions, he was running on empty. He has committed some truly suicidal artistic moves.

There's a lot of bitching about Jesse on here, and most of it I agree with, but the main problem with Jesse is not that he can't play, but that he can't write. When Jesse plays Smiths songs or early Solo songs, they sound anywhere from roided up to pissed on, but they're still great songs. It's that essence, that original muse, that no degree of hamfistedness can ruin.

But the fact is, the guy just can't write a decent tune. Yet Morrissey loves him and looks to him for the furtherment of his career...as Alain rots away, as Street rots away, as Johnny rots away, as God knows who else amazing rots away.

You can take the most brilliant artist on earth, but if he sits in a room where he is looking out a window at the same sky, same field, no houses, no buildings, no people, no life, and he never lets himself leave...then eventually he will just deteriorate artistically. Granted, while he's in that little room he's safe...and for a while, maybe a long while, he can run on reserve but eventually he's going to die. The safety comes at the expense of inspiration.

Morrissey would rather make solid -albeit safe- rock music at this point rather than art. Whether this is because he's lost the plot, or because in his mind he sounds like the Dolls, or because he's proving a point... I don't know.

When you force yourself to subsist on bread and water, you can live for a long time, but you're gonna feel and look like shit. Musically, for God knows what reason, that's what he's doing to himself. He's forcing himself to subsist on the bare minimum of nourishment. The results are the last batch of songs...each bearing a distinct trace of a once truly great artistic mind. But, while Bland Morrissey is still better than a lot of stuff out there, he could still -even at this late date- be so much better.

But not for long.

You don't know what you are talking about

Not his best song but certainly not his worst, I hope its not a single. The only 'new' song I genuinely like is 'Action' it is very similar to 'Paris' though.

We said that about YOR, but it happened!

I didn't say that about YOR because I wasn't stupid enough to take his word for it and believe he actually SIGNED with Decca, rather than Universal Music inheriting his contract from Sanctuary after they went bankrupt...which is a known fact.

I thought the performance was very good, the band were tight and engaged and the vocal was great - bet you couldn't sing like that.

A person's inability to perform doesn't mean they can't criticise. I could never create a successful 'lads' magazine' or tabloid newspaper, but that doesn't mean I admire them. I do, however, feel the same about the 'creator' reference - the lyrics are very simple, and they don't bother discussing the extent to which People Are The Same Everywhere. But maybe that's the point. Maybe it's an ironic play on the banal lyrics of most other singers (it's the same with The Kid's a Looker, I hope). It would explain the "yeah, yeah, yeahhh."

Anyway, the Conan appearance. Interesting/disappointing song choice, but his voice is sounding strong. I don't enjoy the music. In terms of the music, in my opinion, a lot of Morrissey's recent output could be lumped together as B-sides to B-sides. Swords 2, perhaps. He's still a great singer, and I'm so glad I got to see him live earlier this year, but I'm not going to disguise my feelings and pretend I'm overjoyed with his current efforts. That said, I quite enjoy Art-hounds and Scandinavia. Action Is My Middle Name is worth listening to, as well. I sincerely hope People Are The Same Everywhere isn't a single. Very nice to see him back on television, regardless.

Forgive my ignorance, but was there no interview?

I hope everyone agrees that Morrissey is looking pretty much skinny now! He hasn't been that thin since Maladjusted! christ! the weight has just dropped off the man!

Back
Top Bottom