The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 271: NEAL CASSADY DROPS DEAD

How do you rate Neal Cassady Drops Dead?

• Total voters
I gave a 5, because I am in a generous mood today.

It's just falls flat for me on most listens. I want to like it more, but something about it won't let me. I think it might be the tears shampooed his beard line.

I have this thing with Morrissey where one clumsy line really taints a song for me. Another example is One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell. I actually really like that song, but would never give it more than a 5 because of the "....children tell me that I smell" line.

Last edited:
It's just falls flat for me on most listens. I want to like it more, but something about it won't let me. I think it might be the tears shampooed his beard line.

I have this thing with Morrissey where one clumsy line really taints a song for me. Another example is One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell. I actually really like that song, but would never give it more than a 5 because of the "....children tell me that I smell" line.

Funny - I think that "shampooed his beard" line is visceral poetry: it makes me cringe, but it's wonderfully descriptive and a unique turn of phrase.

The "children tell me that I smell" line, however, is grindingly awful: easily one of the worst phrases he's ever scraped up.

i like that line as it adds a true comic element to a sad song. what its like to be old. the shampoo your beard line is cringy i agree but its kinda the point. trying to not be cool and super stylish and winning the approval was sorta ginsbergs point in a lot of ways wasnt it.

Funny - I think that "shampooed his beard" line is visceral poetry: it makes me cringe, but it's wonderfully descriptive and a unique turn of phrase.

The "children tell me that I smell" line, however, is grindingly awful: easily one of the worst phrases he's ever scraped up.

Yes, I'm with both of you on the 'smiling children tell you that you smell' line. One of his worst ever. Bad enough that the song exists (which is pretty rubbish even without that lyric) but him still insisting on playing it live whilst missing out some genuinely great songs from the new album is madness.
The beard line, though, I don't mind that much. All in all, 'Neal...' is a really good modern-day Morrissey song.

Yes, I'm with both of you on the 'smiling children tell you that you smell' line. One of his worst ever. Bad enough that the song exists (which is pretty rubbish even without that lyric) but him still insisting on playing it live whilst missing out some genuinely great songs from the new album is madness.
The beard line, though, I don't mind that much. All in all, 'Neal...' is a really good modern-day Morrissey song.

Yes, ODGWBF is pretty weak all around, but I suppose it's his way of dealing with the inevitable winding-down. It seems like an appropriate choice for an encore.

As for Neal Cassady: I LOVE it. The only reason I gave it a 9 instead of a 10 is because it seems like three different narratives (all good) cobbled together in one song. Unlike many, I have great affection for the central curmudgeonly tirade: so few other songwriters would have dared. Makes me giggle every time.

what is it about the children thinking you smell line that doesnt work? seems true and is a well known and used cliche of old people and i thought it funny when he used it as an indicator and a recognition that you yourself have become old, which old people never seem to realize, and will soon have to say goodbye to many a person sometimes the young relative. a black humor line using youth to mark the envy and fear in the old seems ike it works really well. what is it you guys dont like about it?

Back
Top Bottom