The new album...will it happen?

I_Cried

The new songs hasn´t exactly been well recieved, Moz is well kinda...old and there is currently no sign of a record deal. My opptimism is slowly fading away. A new album seems like lightyears ahead.

Last edited:
The new songs hasn´t exactly been well recieved, Moz is well kinda...old and there is currently no sign of a record deal. My opptimism is slowly fading away. A new album seems like lightyears ahead.

Be Positive, something will certainly happen...for the sake of Moz too!
Cheers Moz

Morrissey could easily have a record deal by tomorrow BECAUSE he is Morrissey. He just has unreasonable standards. It really doesn't have much to do with the quality of the material - there are a number of smaller labels that would be glad to have a legendary music figure in their roster.

His autobiography is due out in December 2012. Any record company with any sense is going to want to wait and tag onto the massive wave of publicity this book realease is bound to generate. Morrissey has a habit of releasing album after album when on a roll. Album, tour, album, tour, album, tour inevitably when he follows this pattern the interest from the media and the casual listener falls away as does the quality of the songs. When Morrissey takes a break, takes his time and builds up a little steam, he always returns with a bang. He has some good new songs so far "Art-hounds" is great and "Action is my middle name" is also pretty good as is "People are the same everywhere" some people really like "Scandinavia" less so "The kids a looker". In my view he needs to keep writing until he can afford to bury "The kids a looker" as a b-side just like he did with "Mexico" for the release of YATQ for example. I would be surprised is any major record company shows any interest in an album release before the autobiography, however I don't think he'll be short of offers as the release date for the book looms and i am sure the break will turn out to be a good thing in the end. My feeling is the next release will be timed to coincide with the release of the autobiography (as far as i know that means december 2012) and I also have a feeling it will be a very successful album and probably his last.

His autobiography is due out in December 2012. Any record company with any sense is going to want to wait and tag onto the massive wave of publicity this book realease is bound to generate. Morrissey has a habit of releasing album after album when on a roll. Album, tour, album, tour, album, tour inevitably when he follows this pattern the interest from the media and the casual listener falls away as does the quality of the songs. When Morrissey takes a break, takes his time and builds up a little steam, he always returns with a bang. He has some good new songs so far "Art-hounds" is great and "Action is my middle name" is also pretty good as is "People are the same everywhere" some people really like "Scandinavia" less so "The kids a looker". In my view he needs to keep writing until he can afford to bury "The kids a looker" as a b-side just like he did with "Mexico" for the release of YATQ for example. I would be surprised is any major record company shows any interest in an album release before the autobiography, however I don't think he'll be short of offers as the release date for the book looms and i am sure the break will turn out to be a good thing in the end. My feeling is the next release will be timed to coincide with the release of the autobiography (as far as i know that means december 2012) and I also have a feeling it will be a very successful album and probably his last.

:squiffy: Dayuum. Don't skimp on the details now of Morrissey's projected life schedule you have all worked out. :p Is he going to buy any new shirts?

Morrissey could easily have a record deal by tomorrow BECAUSE he is Morrissey. He just has unreasonable standards. It really doesn't have much to do with the quality of the material - there are a number of smaller labels that would be glad to have a legendary music figure in their roster.

How do you know his standards are unreasonable?

Because it's all he complains about whenever sales of "Best Of" and "Greatest Hits" with songs we all have go poorly. 'It's the record company's fault for not promoting well enough,' never his. It's almost as if he's expecting a compilation of old songs to do as well as a studio album. That's unreasonable.

Because it's all he complains about whenever sales of "Best Of" and "Greatest Hits" with songs we all have go poorly. 'It's the record company's fault for not promoting well enough,' never his. It's almost as if he's expecting a compilation of old songs to do as well as a studio album. That's unreasonable.

I don't know. I think a significant part of the success of Quarry was down to good marketing and a lot of promotion. He was everywhere.

I don't know. I think a significant part of the success of Quarry was down to good marketing and a lot of promotion. He was everywhere.

And he probably thought he deserved the same treatment with each successive release, but a big part of the promo push behind "Quarry" was that it was his first studio album in 7 years.

And he probably thought he deserved the same treatment with each successive release, but a big part of the promo push behind "Quarry" was that it was his first studio album in 7 years.

I think he deserves the same treatment with every release. Why not? The marketing department just needs to discover a different and appealing hook each time. I'd imagine that is the nub of their job, no?

I think he needs to accept that he'll never be a chart topper and properly acknowledged by the "music industry." It's protecting him in a weird cosmic way. It's the curse part of his weird gift. It's frustrating as f***, I'm sure, but it's necessary. (I could be wrong.) Getting ignored is part of the program. So he needs to just sing and release his songs without expectation and see where it goes from there. Maybe happiness is lurking in an equally ignored corner somewhere.

Last edited:
I think he deserves the same treatment with every release. Why not? The marketing department just needs to discover a different and appealing hook each time. I'd imagine that is the nub of their job, no?

Well this is where it becomes an object of preference: are all prospective releases equal just because they come from the man who wrote "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out" over 20 years ago?

Well this is where it becomes an object of preference: are all prospective releases equal just because they come from the man who wrote "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out" over 20 years ago?

That is a matter of subjective opinion.

In the case of the record company's employees, it doesn't matter what the marketing department feel about the album, their opinion is irrelevant. It is a function of the department to promote the work and the artist regardless if they think it is worthy or not. They are being paid to do so.

It's gonna happen. I can feel it. As for his new songs, I think they're great. I'm probably kissing a little ass here, but so what? I like them. It better happen. Also, the autobiography. I think I'm literally going to devour this book because--like a Jesus chip--it'll probably cleanse me of my sins. :p :straightface:

In the case of the record company's employees, it doesn't matter what the marketing department feel about the album, their opinion is irrelevant. It is a function of the department to promote the work and the artist regardless if they think it is worthy or not. They are being paid to do so.

Yes you are correct. But Morrissey has to do something to catch the eye of the executives of the label(s) he wants to be signed to in the first place. This is my point. You're speaking as if he's already backed by a marketing department and HAS no one to please, but he does. That is, if he's aiming for a deal that would satisfy him. Like I said, I'm sure there are many independent labels that would gladly take him immediately without him having to drum up press via outrageous comments or a tour. He's Morrissey. But when it comes to heavy promotion (that matching a new studio album) of a "Greatest Hits" release of songs that have been widely available for 10+ years, the big labels Morrissey is looking for aren't interested. Especially when it's widely known that he's difficult to deal with, professionally.

I think he needs to accept that he'll never be a chart topper and properly acknowledged by the "music industry." It's protecting him in a weird cosmic way. It's the curse part of his weird gift. It's frustrating as f***, I'm sure, but it's necessary. (I could be wrong.) Getting ignored is part of the program. So he needs to just sing and release his songs without expectation and see where it goes from there. Maybe happiness is lurking in an equally ignored corner somewhere.

Every time you mention "cosmic" things I cringe, but you like that effect, don't you? But bless your heart, carry on. As far as him accepting never being a chart topper, I think he has in some ways, but why give up? He persists because...because HE MUST. And I admire that about Morrissey, he actually gives more hope and positive cosmic energy than most people, perhaps even himself, thinks. Most people don't get this about him. The Beatles were actually rejected at first from record companies, I think it's safe to say, record companies are stupid and I say this, not a fan of The Beatles per se.

Correct.

It's gonna happen. I can feel it. As for his new songs, I think they're great. I'm probably kissing a little ass here, but so what? I like them. It better happen. Also, the autobiography. I think I'm literally going to devour this book because--like a Jesus chip--it'll probably cleanse me of my sins. :p :straightface:

I agree, but I'm scared the book will not be good. I'm really really hoping it will.

Yes you are correct. But Morrissey has to do something to catch the eye of the executives of the label(s) he wants to be signed to in the first place.

Wrong. It's the other way around, frankly, brain boy. Morrissey is not some quirky upstart, he's proven time and time again, he's a legend. Legends don't do what you're describing.

This is my point. You're speaking as if he's already backed by a marketing department and HAS no one to please, but he does. That is, if he's aiming for a deal that would satisfy him. Like I said, I'm sure there are many independent labels that would gladly take him immediately without him having to drum up press via outrageous comments or a tour. He's Morrissey. But when it comes to heavy promotion (that matching a new studio album) of a "Greatest Hits" release of songs that have been widely available for 10+ years, the big labels Morrissey is looking for aren't interested.

Didn't know you spoke for the "big labels" and/or Morrissey as far as, "a deal that would satisfy him." What experience do you have with it? Surely, you are an expert. Perhaps you're unaware of the fact the the music industry has virtually, completely collapsed? The "business" if you will, heretofore known, is over. This is not Morrissey's fault, he doesn't have to do a damn thing, as he has stated before.

Especially when it's widely known that he's difficult to deal with, professionally.

Can you name one good artist that isn't difficult in one way or another? I can, they're people named Michael Bublé and Mark McGrath. The best artist ARE difficult and that's one of the reasons why they are so respected and liked. I suppose, if it were you, you'd bend to the big label's every whim, perhaps? Your ego must be fed by the public, right? Thank God Morrissey is not....erm....you.

Back
Top Bottom