The new Bowie album

A

Anonymous

It's streaming on i-tunes now.

Jesus Christ.

FFS...forget arguing with some Deliverence lookalikes Mozza, gonna do something, anywhere near in scope to this?

Yeah, it's not that great. The production is really really dry. Everything sounds matte silver if that makes any sense. The tunes sound like late 70s/mid 80s Scott Walker (imagine that) by way of the Beatles. It's a slightly more solid version of Heathen. His last great album is still Scary Monsters, and I say that as a someone who likes Bowie as much as Morrissey. 3 stars out of 5.

The first six songs are great and the last two are stunning. Not so sure about the ones inbetween, although none are certified clunkers. It's a really interesting and enjoyable album though. A class above the Johnny Marr album.

This is a great, great album so far and I'm only 3 songs into it.

So overrated right now, especially in the British press (which isn't a surprise).

It's very good, very solid, a couple of weak tracks, BUT there are no classic songs here. There is no Heroes or Ashes To Ashes or Time, but every Brit critic is giving it 5 stars?

Why? Because Bowie finally came back after a decade and actually made his first solid album in 30 years? That's all good, but just because he made a solid album again, we shouldn't heap praise on it. It took him 10 years to make an album of good to very good songs! Wow, what a genius! Yawn. I'll be generous and give it an 8 out of 10. Critics need to learn how to separate hype and love for the artist and wanting the artist to succeed with the actual songs.

So overrated right now, especially in the British press (which isn't a surprise).

It's very good, very solid, a couple of weak tracks, BUT there are no classic songs here. There is no Heroes or Ashes To Ashes or Time, but every Brit critic is giving it 5 stars?

Why? Because Bowie finally came back after a decade and actually made his first solid album in 30 years? That's all good, but just because he made a solid album again, we shouldn't heap praise on it. It took him 10 years to make an album of good to very good songs! Wow, what a genius! Yawn. I'll be generous and give it an 8 out of 10. Critics need to learn how to separate hype and love for the artist and wanting the artist to succeed with the actual songs.

Hey Morrissey.

Well, most of Bowie's albums post-Tin Machine have been pretty "solid" actually, just overlooked. Heathen, for instance, is a great record which ranks with his best - as does the new one. I loved 8 of the 14 tracks after just a couple of listens. Yes, it mines much the same territory as the Reality, Hours, etc, but its far fresher and has better songs. The two singles, Valentine's Day and You Feel So Lonely You Could Die will become Bowie staples at the very least.

I agree it's annoying that people are suddenly jumping on the Bowie bandwagon just because he's been away for a long time, but it's the Quarry effect if you like. Visconti has said they were working on the album on and off for two years, not ten btw, and mostly it seems to be getting 4 star reviews which seems fair - the second half sags a little after the first. Odd though that you want to criticise the fact that an excellent album is getting a great critical reception. Anyway, if you're (very begrudgingly) giving the album 8/10 you're only really proving that it must be very good indeed.

Well, most of Bowie's albums post-Tin Machine have been pretty "solid" actually, just overlooked. Heathen, for instance, is a great record which ranks with his best - as does the new one. I loved 8 of the 14 tracks after just a couple of listens. Yes, it mines much the same territory as the Reality, Hours, etc, but its far fresher and has better songs. The two singles, Valentine's Day and You Feel So Lonely You Could Die will become Bowie staples at the very least.

I agree it's annoying that people are suddenly jumping on the Bowie bandwagon just because he's been away for a long time, but it's the Quarry effect if you like. Visconti has said they were working on the album on and off for two years, not ten btw, and mostly it seems to be getting 4 star reviews which seems fair - the second half sags a little after the first. Odd though that you want to criticise the fact that an excellent album is getting a great critical reception. Anyway, if you're (very begrudgingly) giving the album 8/10 you're only really proving that it must be very good indeed.

I do quite like D Bowie but I've only heard the two new singles. The first I thought was just boring and lacklustre (though could see how it might grow on you - I've only heard it a few times).
The new single, however, sounds awful (Stars are out tonight). Rubbish music, really weak melody, and duff lyrics. Are these really the best two songs?

I've had one full listen and it's not a bad record by any means. Not five stars worthy, I agree with some of the posts here.

The last track on the record, Heat, is a total Scott Walker ripoff.

I'll agree the Quarry-effect was on especially in the UK press- I just read Uncut and NMEs reviews which did have negative comments, but then expect the backlash of downers wanting to squash overwhelming praise of anything(Spin, anyone?). Not everything is for everyone... nothing will ever be universally loved but people feel the need to shit on anything.

I only listened to the minute and a half snippets on Itunes but this album does nothing but bore me. "Valentine's Day" was kinda okay. I couldnt listen past that, I didnt have the patience for it. Johnny Marr's two tracks "New Town Velocity" and "The Messenger" blow this shit away. And Johnny's voice is better too. Bowie should give Nile Rodgers a call and see if they can conjure up the same kind of magic they did in '83. I respect Bowie, he's a survivor and bold and a very important figure in the history of rock and roll, but this didnt have it for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I only listened to the minute and a half snippets on Itunes but this album does nothing but bore me. "Valentine's Day" was kinda okay. I couldnt listen past that, I didnt have the patience for it. Johnny Marr's two tracks "New Town Velocity" and "The Messenger" blow this shit away. And Johnny's voice is better too. Bowie should give Nile Rodgers a call and see if they can conjure up the same kind of magic they did in '83. I respect Bowie, he's a survivor and bold and a very important figure in the history of rock and roll, but this didnt have it for me.
Hi Justin, I think listening to snippets is not the way to approach the new Bowie album. I can't think of many records that could be appreciated by simply dipping into the odd track. This is not to say that you are wrong just that maybe it deserves a couple of proper listens.

I'm surprised Bowie got away with that front cover. I just wish his music was as alternative as that front cover! I like that there's a bit of a Scary Monsters sound throughout.

Back
Top Bottom