Morrissey Central "THE NEXT DAY" (February 26, 2021)

0-7_wqtgbe.jpg
0-8_j9babz.jpg

:rolleyes:
FWD.

Related items:

Last edited:
That seems fairly obvious to me. When Playboys was first released Morrissey said

"'The last of the famous international playboys are Bowie, Bolan, Devoto and me.'

:thumb:

Totally agree. Maybe to finally bring ‘The Last Playboys’ together, he should of then put ‘Song From Under The Floorboards’ as the b-side to this Cosmic Dancer release. :lbf:
Do you see similarities between yourself and Bowie?

'What, the living Bowie or the present dead one? The living Bowie, there are some, yes. Yes, I do see similarities.'"

He probably didn't have a good picture of himself and Howard 😉

Having seen the picture now I can also see why Bowie may have rejected it in 2013. It's rather unflattering, at least the one used on the cover.

Of course not. I've already explained how I think this single came about. There's no big plan to capitalise on anything.

Yeah I was replying to Truth’s post
when he used the word ‘capitalize’
I thought he was implying that Morrissey released this single only to make money. Below is his comment post # 146

‘Trying to capitalize on the fact that David Bowie is on the record. Probably thought it was a "guaranteed number one!" See Parisand related threads.’

But he corrected me. It seems he wasn’t using the word ‘capitalize’
in the way that I thought. Oops.

Otherwise they should have timed digital and physical release better. It's not hard to see why it would thrill him personally to have his name next to Bowie's on a 7".

But it's also clear that chart positions matter greatly to him. I think considerations regarding the chart placement always factor into any physical release he puts out and naturally he (as anyone) would expect Bowie's name to have a beneficial effect on that.
I therefore believe that anything but number one wouldn't have satisfied him, even if it's just the vinyl chart.
And three separate Central posts regarding this topic seem to confirm that.

Yeah. But we may also want to take into consideration the chance that Sam is also posting what he may think Morrissey may want posted, or what he thinks that Morrissey fan’s want to see posted. Not to say that chart position isn’t somehow still important to Morrissey.

I think the main reason to release this wasn't profit or a number one in the charts but seeing his own name next to Bowie's, his childhood idol. The recording isn't great but for him it was a historical moment, the culmination of everything he'd hoped for as a small fat child sitting in his council house, listening to Starman over and over again.

And that's something I hope most of us are able to relate to in some way.

❤️ :thumb:

Yes the above I believe is the main reason for the release.

Because a lot of Bowie fans are heartless, materialistic vultures? 😉

:lbf:

No one releases a cash-in five years after someone dies.

Probably mourning the past if the snippets on Central are anything to go by. 20, 40 & 60 are big transitions.

It could never be a cash in anyway as the writer gets the lions share which would leave a few quid for Morrissey and Bowies estate.

Totally agree. Maybe to finally bring ‘The Last Playboys’ together, he should of then put ‘Song From Under The Floorboards’ as the b-side to this Cosmic Dancer release. :lbf:

Yeah I was replying to Truth’s post
when he used the word ‘capitalize’
I thought he was implying that Morrissey released this single only to make money. Below is his comment post # 146

‘Trying to capitalize on the fact that David Bowie is on the record. Probably thought it was a "guaranteed number one!" See Parisand related threads.’

But he corrected me. It seems he wasn’t using the word ‘capitalize’
in the way that I thought. Oops.

Yeah. But we may also want to take into consideration the chance that Sam is also posting what he may think Morrissey may want posted, or what he thinks that Morrissey fan’s want to see posted. Not to say that chart position isn’t somehow still important to Morrissey.

❤️ :thumb:

Yes the above I believe is the main reason for the release.

:lbf:

Song from under the floorboards along with You say you don't love me are my favourite Morrissey covers.

Last edited:
This insane f***ing discussion is giving me a stroke.

:rolleyes:

Green Salsa is having yet ANOTHER hysterical 'stroke'🧎‍♀️
maybe a cranberry juice with cheap tequila with crushed ice
can settle your 'nerves'💃

Yes, good point. But I'm sure it still matters a lot to Morrissey, although I agree that what's being posted on Central can't automatically be considered proof of that.

He still recites chart positions from half a century ago though, old habits die hard.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom