The Origin Of Morrissey Dissent

There is, the media is run by the metropolitan, left wing liberal elite. And the base it’s aimed at are all woke teenagers, mostly.

It's not run by the media, it's run by record companies; teenagers aren't the biggest market & very few of them are woke. You're getting confused with Twitter fights.

It's not run by the media, it's run by record companies; teenagers aren't the biggest market & very few of them are woke. You're getting confused with Twitter fights.
Well I was including record companies in that. Sales of albums usually go up when someone wins a BRIT. Morrisseys would probably go down!!! Though can you sell less than zero??

Teenagers are mostly woke. Or, so it would seem, Neo Nazis🤔

To be fair to the original poster, I think we've gone a bit off topic here. It wasn't about how talented & fit Kylie is😂Make no mistake, I could talk about it all day...she did a range of lingerie in the mid 00's, modelled by herself, and a calender to accompany it.

f***ing hell is all I can say about that.

To be fair to the original poster, I think we've gone a bit off topic here. It wasn't about how talented & fit Kylie is😂Make no mistake, I could talk about it all day...she did a range of lingerie in the mid 00's, modelled by herself, and a calender to accompany it.

f***ing hell is all I can say about that.
I guess in brief, Morrissey can be petty, and it took me a while to get over the fact.

Treat me like a human being
I'd like to know how this feels
At the time, I was smarting about being judged harshly for my own pride in my sexuality. Morrissey getting peeved at kylie felt like a personal affront. I'm more flexible nowadays.

I thought he hated Kylie, and so he hated me, essentially, because I identified with her. I was being paranoid.

From my observation it seems like the Morrissey dissent ramped up around the release of Low In High School. Guardian and other trash media seemed to go fully to the other side of the fence on Moz. Just endeared me to him more. I wouldn't begrudge anyone for not liking Morrissey though. It's what happens when someone has strong personalities and opinions that don't align with mainstream
Good reply, except you should begrudge anyone who doesn't like him because The Guardian tell them not to. And their are plenty.

It was when bigoted thoughts formed in his head and came out of his mouth.

I couldn't care less about The Guardian. And couldn't care less if it was the Figaro, El Pais or Die Zeit.

I won't touch the racism card, I personally don't think it makes sense. Morrissey has the gift to make himself look like a dick without any help. And I don't even need to bring up the Chinese comment, it's been discussed to death. But his Breivik comment is totally inexcusable. What if someone sent him a card now saying "oh Morrissey it's terrible what happened to your mother. But it's nothing compared to..." etc. The Spiegel incident. It's not a problem if you act like an ass; it happens with everyone. But then have the dignity and say "OK, I really was an ass, it happens", and don't act like someone is out there to get you.

And I could say more....but you get the general idea :)

I guess it comes down to what you think of as 'dissent' and whether you're talking about the music or the man. There will always be fans who complain that things aren't as good as X time or who have a 'favourite Moz period' and that's totally normal for any artist who has been around for 40 years. His popularity waxes and wanes; many fans gave up during the first 'Wilderness' period but truckloads of new ones came on board with YATQ and ROTT.

The 'dissent' of a diehard fan who has followed Morrissey's entire solo career has very different roots to a casual fan and seems to be tied up in Morrissey-the-person and whenever a fan realised that he was a really flawed man and not just this sensitive, misunderstood flower. A few things that shook/shocked me at the time were: a) the leaked Sanctuary email where he was trying to cash in on the Paris tragedy, b) the Der Spiegel interview where he falsely claimed that he had been misquoted and c) some of the unexpected bile in his Autobio and the effort he made to paint Alain Whyte like a blundering simpleton.

Then there were other embarrassing episodes...the whole Supreme T-shirt photography fiasco, the Norway comments, starting to dress up the band in a way that was probably meant to be funny but just looked cruel and humiliating instead. He started to come across as a difficult, bitter person who burned endless bridges with the people around him but still chose to behave like a victim in public. After that, I became a lot more cynical about Morrissey and this was long before he crawled into bed with For Britain.

Did it impact on liking the music? No, not really, I still enjoy those songs. But once the scales fall and you don't have to mentally uphold a kind of 'hero' anymore, it's a lot easier to recognise that - yeah, this song is poor, this album isn't great, these lyrics are scraping the barrel, etc. You just wake up to it more.

Last edited:
starting to dress up the band in a way that was probably meant to be funny but just looked cruel and humiliating instead.
do you realise that these are fully grown men who consented to this and that Boz wearing drag goes back to the 1992 tour?

Back
Top Bottom