The signature debate

It has fascinated me for ages how people can be sure of a signature given how Moz's hand has altered over the years.

With that in mind I thought I would test it out and see what people think of the attached signature.

I know the authenticity or not of the said signature so I would be interested to hear what people think.

For those who are interested I am claiming that this is a Morrissey autograph dating from 2002. Like I said earlier I know its origin so know 100% if it is real or not. What do you think?

I'll buck the trend and say it's fake, but I don't know. Maybe it's just me, but I always imagined that the act of obtaining an autograph would be so much more rewarding than just possessing one (like the signed vinyls etc), no? :blushing:

There was a thread about it weeks ago. And your Morrissey signature is similar to the one was posted in here...

I believe any person with some artistic abilities could make an effort and actually draw Morrissey's signature :) This one has equal chances to be authentic or counterfeit. I am not an expert, but I'd say it's not genuine.

I'll buck the trend and say it's fake, but I don't know. Maybe it's just me, but I always imagined that the act of obtaining an autograph would be so much more rewarding than just possessing one (like the signed vinyls etc), no? :blushing:

Who's to say I did not obtain this in person?

It has fascinated me for ages how people can be sure of a signature given how Moz's hand has altered over the years.

With that in mind I thought I would test it out and see what people think of the attached signature.

I know the authenticity or not of the said signature so I would be interested to hear what people think.

For those who are interested I am claiming that this is a Morrissey autograph dating from 2002. Like I said earlier I know its origin so know 100% if it is real or not. What do you think?

REAL. looks just like the one i got from him on 01/26/2002.

REAL. looks just like the one i got from him on 01/26/2002.

That's a cool tattoo on one of your other pages
24.jpg

Did you just stalk him when he lived in the states?

Dave

What I've learned from watching the History Detectives is that when trying to authenticate an autograph, you need a) a bonafide sample to compare and b) a good set of eyes.

The signature should be fluid and deliberate. If you notice a hesitation, or a part where the pen has shifted in an odd direction, as if it was being traced over, or the pen has been lifted and began in a funny location then chances are, it is the work of a forger.

Judging by the provided sample and with Abrahan's sample, I'd say it looks pretty good. My only place for concern is the last e begins from the top to bottom to top where in Abrahan's sample, it's a more natural progression; top to bottom to top to bottom. The Y is strange in that for a right-handed person, the Y should have ended right clockwise and not right counterclockwise.

Last edited:
The signature is 100% real. I was just interested to know what people thought given how quick people seem to jump on "fakes".

Thank you for humouring me!

Back
Top Bottom