The Simpsons - "Panic on the Streets of Springfield" (airing April 18, 2021) - reminder / reports

UPDATE Apr. 18:

Posted after the airing:

Official Morrissey Facebook: Simpsons Response (April 19, 2021)

The Simpsons ("Panic on the Streets of Springfield" season 32, episode 19) premieres Sunday April 18, 2021.

An extended cut to air on Hulu (link posted by Neal Cassidy):

UPDATE Apr. 18:

full

Related items:
* = this link/page was deleted from Central - April 25, 2021.

The Simpsons ("Panic on the Streets of Springfield season 32, episode 19) premieres Sunday April 18, 2021.

An extended cut to air on Hulu (link posted by Neal Cassidy):

full

Related items:

Ay Caramba !

Very much looking forward to this! Can't help but think this would never happen outside of America where folks aren't terribly bothered or aware of his views. Perhaps for the time being, as far as Morrissey fandom is concerned, America IS The World...

Very much looking forward to this! Can't help but think this would never happen outside of America where folks aren't terribly bothered or aware of his views. Perhaps for the time being, as far as Morrissey fandom is concerned, America IS The World...

There was a hit piece in the LA Times, a protest in Portland & the press spent his USA/Canada tour reporting that the venues were empty.

Either there's a Morrissey fan in the Simpsons who really loves him, or they will separate the art from the artist or they're fooling us & it's going to be mean.

There was a hit piece in the LA Times, a protest in Portland & the press spent his USA/Canada tour reporting that the venues were empty.

Either there's a Morrissey fan in the Simpsons who really loves him, or they will separate the art from the artist or they're fooling us & it's going to be mean.
Screenshot_20210418-002858~2.png

FWD.

looking at the attention to detail (posters on Lisa's wall etc) it does look like there is some genuine affection here - hope so anyway.

still dont know why they couldnt have got somebody better to do the voice,when i heard that clip on friday i thought it was a bad impression of paul mc cartney.

Last edited:
Presumably they did ask Morrissey to voice it?

I think it's going to be a bit of both, probably. Looks like it's definitely been done with real affection, but given the criticism the show has had over the last couple of years around racial stereotypes, casting white actors for non-white characters, etc then just doing a full-on positive "tribute" around a Morrissey character without mentioning his recent...issues seems very unlikely.

I think it's going to be a bit of both, probably. Looks like it's definitely been done with real affection, but given the criticism the show has had over the last couple of years around racial stereotypes, casting white actors for non-white characters, etc then just doing a full-on positive "tribute" around a Morrissey character without mentioning his recent...issues seems very unlikely.

That's kind of what I fear - a wistful end where Lisa has to let go of her imaginary friend because he's a bit dodgy.

Unless they've researched deeper & have decided to be brave.

Preview The Simpsons’ Morrissey-Inspired Episode With Music By Flight Of The Conchords’ Bret McKenzie

“I grew up as a moody kid obsessed with catchy-yet-depressing indy music from England, so this show was sort of a natural for me,” added Tim Long, who wrote the episode. “And like Marge, my parents wondered what the hell was wrong with me — they still don’t know.”

Long says that Quilloughby — the former lead singer of the Snuffs, whose hits include “How Late Is Then,” “What Difference Do I Make?” and “Hamburger Is Homicide” — is “definitely Morrissey-esque, with maybe a small dash of Robert Smith from the Cure, Ian Curtis from Joy Division, and a bunch of other people … And the songs, with lyrics by me and music by Bret McKenzie, are so good. Bret knew exactly what we were going for and nailed it. He’s maybe the nicest genius I know.”

Long saw the Smiths on their The Queen Is Dead tour in 1986, “and it’s safe to say they changed my life,” he said. “I’ve seen Moz many times since then, most recently at the Hollywood Bowl in 2018. Executive producer Matt Selman was also at that show, and we got to talking about how much music meant to us as weird, alienated teenagers — and also how being a big fan of someone is like having a lifelong relationship with them, with all the ups and down that implies. This show grew out of that discussion.”

I haven't really followed Simpsons since the nineties, but now and then I catch an episode, because my teenage boys like the show. Every time I'm pleasantly surprised how fresh and funny the writing is after 600+ episodes. So I'm excited about them doing a tribute to Morrissey -- and I'm sure they'll acknowledge the darker side of his personality too.

if it is truly a Simpson's producers love letter to Morrisey and The Smiths, how long before cancel culture decides to claim The Simpsons once and for all.

Preview The Simpsons’ Morrissey-Inspired Episode With Music By Flight Of The Conchords’ Bret McKenzie

“I grew up as a moody kid obsessed with catchy-yet-depressing indy music from England, so this show was sort of a natural for me,” added Tim Long, who wrote the episode. “And like Marge, my parents wondered what the hell was wrong with me — they still don’t know.”

Long says that Quilloughby — the former lead singer of the Snuffs, whose hits include “How Late Is Then,” “What Difference Do I Make?” and “Hamburger Is Homicide” — is “definitely Morrissey-esque, with maybe a small dash of Robert Smith from the Cure, Ian Curtis from Joy Division, and a bunch of other people … And the songs, with lyrics by me and music by Bret McKenzie, are so good. Bret knew exactly what we were going for and nailed it. He’s maybe the nicest genius I know.”

Long saw the Smiths on their The Queen Is Dead tour in 1986, “and it’s safe to say they changed my life,” he said. “I’ve seen Moz many times since then, most recently at the Hollywood Bowl in 2018. Executive producer Matt Selman was also at that show, and we got to talking about how much music meant to us as weird, alienated teenagers — and also how being a big fan of someone is like having a lifelong relationship with them, with all the ups and down that implies. This show grew out of that discussion.”

That's all positive.

i bet the episode will be fine,you wouldnt go to see M a bunch of times then get a chance to pay homage to him in your tv programme then take the piss out of him.

It's already been promoted on the official Morrissey facebook page, so presumably it's already been seen and got Moz/Sam's approval.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom