The Smiths is a punk band? like Velvet Underground

The Smiths is a punk band? like Velvet Underground.

Not sure what your asking here?
But if your proposing that The Smiths are a ‘punk’ group in the same sense as VU, then i agree.

Punk, like rock n roll, and to a lesser extent indie, is both a genre and mindset/ideology.
Punk as a genre, to me is aggressive sounding rock music, played fast, often with a social/political lyrical slant. That doesn’t apply to all, but it’s a common thread.
Punk as a mindset, an attitude, to me is an offshoot of rock n roll, and can be applied to lots of groups who don’t traditionally play ‘punk’ music e.g. Public Enemy / Johnny Cash / Sleaford Mods.

The Smiths aren’t a punk band. Neither are VU. But I could see an argument that would position them in having a place in the wider ‘punk’ world.

But if your proposing that The Smiths are a ‘punk’ group in the same sense as VU, then i agree.

Punk, like rock n roll, and to a lesser extent indie, is both a genre and mindset/ideology.
Punk as a genre, to me is aggressive sounding rock music, played fast, often with a social/political lyrical slant. That doesn’t apply to all, but it’s a common thread.
Punk as a mindset, an attitude, to me is an offshoot of rock n roll, and can be applied to lots of groups who don’t traditionally play ‘punk’ music e.g. Public Enemy / Johnny Cash / Sleaford Mods.

The Smiths aren’t a punk band. Neither are VU. But I could see an argument that would position them in having a place in the wider ‘punk’ world.
bob marley & the wailers, and stray cats also!

JOHNNY MARR & EDDIE VEDDER Played "There is a Light That Never Goes Out" in OHANA FESTIVAL (Sept 29, 2018)

Back
Top Bottom