The Smiths karaoke at the "Breaking Step" exhibition of British contemporary art!

nightandday

I don't think this has been posted already, so here it is. A few weeks ago I went to see an exhibition of British contemporary art, called "Breaking Step" in the Museum of Contemporary Art in Belgrade. It lasted for 3-4 months and had decent publicity, and it contained many different works by many artists - multimedia, found objects, etc. One of the works was very Smiths/Moz-related. As it said in the portfolio, the artist, Phil Collins (not that Phil Collins, obviously :p) was aiming to show something about the relationship between idols and fans in pop music, and for that purpose, he asked people from different cities in different countries around the world to perform The Smiths karaoke (!). I don't know which other cities/countries he has in mind, or if he has tried this is other countries already, but this one was about Smiths fans from Istanbul.

So, this work consisted of: a darkened room - whose walls were covered with ads from Turkish newspapers, calling for Smiths fans to perform karaoke - with the big screen, where you could see the film (about an hour long) of Turkish fans taking on Morrissey's place and singing songs from "The World Won't Listen" (I must say, some of them were very good singers!!!) while the wall outside the room was covered with big copies of pages from old issues of NME, Sounds, Record Mirror, etc. - which contained letters or reviews by one "Steven Morrissey, Manchester" (or, in one case, "Jobriath fan from Manchester"). I had already read most of the letters/reviews in bios and Passionsjustlikemine, except one or two, but I hadn't actually seen all of them before. (I remember that there was one about NY Dolls, one about Jobriath, one a review of Photos, one a very negative review of an Aerosmith gig, and there was also a personal ad: "Linder, Spare Ribs! Call Steven Morrissey")

Sadly, I forgot to bring in my digital camera, so I didn't take any pics. :(

ha, sounds great! Thanks for that Nightandday. :)

...I wonder what that cryptic message to Linder meant....!

Back
Top Bottom