the view of morrissey in the eyes of a layman

speedfreaks ball

psychobilly member
always interesting to hear the perception of morrissey from the point of non fans so here are a couple i have picked up from a workmate in the construction industry.
firstly the guy is a 25 yr old rugby league playing labourer from castleford who could be no more a typical stereotype of a modern 25 year old today in britain if you tried to create one, he has no views or prefrences on morrissey or his music and only knows the stuff i have told him about and the couple of songs you hear on the radio but always speaks with blunt honesty, here are 2 recent quotes
"your mate (morrissey) were at russel brands and katie perrys wedding werent he? dont that make him a f*$king hypocrite from how you go on bout him?"
and "he was in concert other night on skyarts channel so put it on to show our lass who you always go on bout, didnt realise he was such a fat old c*nt, turned it off after 2 songs.

Haha... Fat old c-nt. :)

From what I can gather people see him as a pain in the ass for being vegetarian and sticking to those beliefs, or they attack his ambivalent sexuality ("effin' fag" etc) or they don't know him at all.

always interesting to hear the perception of morrissey from the point of non fans so here are a couple i have picked up from a workmate in the construction industry.
firstly the guy is a 25 yr old rugby league playing labourer from castleford who could be no more a typical stereotype of a modern 25 year old today in britain if you tried to create one, he has no views or prefrences on morrissey or his music and only knows the stuff i have told him about and the couple of songs you hear on the radio but always speaks with blunt honesty, here are 2 recent quotes
"your mate (morrissey) were at russel brands and katie perrys wedding werent he? dont that make him a f*$king hypocrite from how you go on bout him?"
and "he was in concert other night on skyarts channel so put it on to show our lass who you always go on bout, didnt realise he was such a fat old c*nt, turned it off after 2 songs.
...and this is interesting because....?

he wasnt trying to wind me up or anything, he is just the type of guy who speaks with brutal honesty if he had liked the concert he would have said, i know its hard for us morrissey worshippers to understand but to some people the man means nothing and never will, the hypocrite bit just hit home a little hard for me .

he wasnt trying to wind me up or anything, he is just the type of guy who speaks with brutal honesty if he had liked the concert he would have said, i know its hard for us morrissey worshippers to understand but to some people the man means nothing and never will, the hypocrite bit just hit home a little hard for me .

Sounds like brutal stupidity to me..

ah ok.Well my friends(and i have some friends who didnt even finish school, work as builders etc.)they like his voice e.g. told me to repeat song they heard playing when they came over to my house etc.etc.

Last edited:
a third quote "he didnt look anything like i seen him on the adverts for his albums on the cover, them pictures must have been taken ages ago, he were right skinny in face wi a stuck up hairstyle" so for me even the layman picks up on the things we do and ask the question why?

Would you able to tell him that Morrissey DID NOT attend Russell's wedding, please?
Russell invited him, but he didn't go.
Thank you very much.

Last edited:
sorry to sound rude but i think this thread may be more applicable to people from northern england (as morrissey is) and its attitudes and the social mouldings that made morrissey what he is rather than americans and what not who may not really know much about it, no offence meant sorry.

Would you able to tell him that Morrissey DID NOT attend Russell's wedding, please?
Russell invited him, but he didn't go.
Thank you very much.

oh i did that, but if if the daily star says its true then who am i to say its not.

Since I'm known for being obsessed with Morrissey, my friends do tease me quite a bit about him (but they also tease me about being vegan). It's usually done in good humour - most of them like the Smiths and one even admitted to liking YATQ - but what they do say is generally pretty feeble, like he's too arrogant or he's too miserable. You know, really original comments that we've never heard before. :rolleyes:

Since I'm known for being obsessed with Morrissey, my friends do tease me quite a bit about him (but they also tease me about being vegan). It's usually done in good humour - most of them like the Smiths and one even admitted to liking YATQ - but what they do say is generally pretty feeble, like he's too arrogant or he's too miserable. You know, really original comments that we've never heard before. :rolleyes:

are they in their mid 20s though?

general opinions from nearly every non-fan I have ever met are one of the following. Sad but true:

1. That big homo from the 80s?
2. That big whiner from the 80s?
3. Who? Jim Morrison?
4. The Smiths had their moments but I completely lost interest when he went solo.

rarely:

5. Morrissey. Yeah. I've heard of him. He is that really cool English singer.

I used to waste my breath to try and explain that the misconceptions are quite far from the truth - but it doesn't work so I gave up. I also gave up giving a shit what anyone thinks about Morrissey, except for me.

20 year old white female co-worker who is madly in love with Barbie: "Ever since my grandma played that album for me and you were talking about him, I started listening to him on Pandora and now I really like him. I really like "I Like You". " I put it on my iphone and she honest to god started singing along.

30 yo brother in law of a different co worker who is from England just thinks he's stupid, with all that people hugging him on stage stuff.

20 year old white female co-worker who is madly in love with Barbie: "Ever since my grandma played that album for me and you were talking about him, I started listening to him on Pandora and now I really like him. I really like "I Like You". " I put it on my iphone and she honest to god started singing along.

30 yo brother in law of a different co worker who is from England just thinks he's stupid, with all that people hugging him on stage stuff.

The view points aren't those of a layman ( i expect they never get laid), they are the views of the deathly stupid

Although, one doesn't need to stick up for Moz here as the view of the layman in the eyes of Morissey is far more scathing.

Last edited:
morrissey's only relevance in modern 'culture' is as just another signifier to young people who subscribe to a charity-shop lifestyle as perhaps the last icon of the now faded pop age...his life, image - and also, to a lesser degree, his music post 'everyday is like sunday' is of no interest to the 'layman' as you put it(even the layman with an appreciation of music and culture). certainly his name to most younger people that fall into the bracket of "what we hastily call the british working class" means very little, just a dimly lit name connoting depression and general gayness.

morrissey's only relevance in modern 'culture' is as just another signifier to young people who subscribe to a charity-shop lifestyle as perhaps the last icon of the now faded pop age...his life, image - and also, to a lesser degree, his music post 'everyday is like sunday' is of no interest to the 'layman' as you put it(even the layman with an appreciation of music and culture). certainly his name to most younger people that fall into the bracket of "what we hastily call the british working class" means very little, just a dimly lit name connoting depression and general gayness.

You are joking?

Back
Top Bottom