The World Cup Thread

Interesting...

The only way England can impress me now (not that it’s their job to impress ME), but I’d be really proud if they won the 3rd place, and threw their bronze medals in the bin, live on television. No player worth their salt should be consoled by a bronze, or even silver. I might not have played at the level these guys have. But I remember my first ever county cup final at under 8’s, ended with a runners up medal. I chucked it down the drain on the way home. Even at that age I understood what a mark of embarrassment a runners up medal meant. None of this being proud shit for “doing well”, England had a massive chance here, enough patting them on the back & calling it a great achievement.

Last edited:
Just when you thought England were dead and buried they go and grab their greatest success since 1990. The fact that people sees that as failure tells me that England are gonna dominate international football for a number of years.
The weird thing is that none of the players went into the world cup on form. They all ended the season poorly and still managed to achieve this as a team not as individuals. If England can go from that and add some more individual spark they might well repeat the success Spain had.

Half of that squad will probably be replaced by younger players we haven't heard of yet in four years time. Our young teams have won World Championships in the last couple of years, we'll only get better. Going from being a complete shambles to contenders takes time.
It is always the case that any success comes after the younger players have won tournaments as is the case with England.

It is always the case that any success comes after the younger players have won tournaments as is the case with England.
This is what I find funny about all the anti English haters. England currently hold several 'under' world cup trophies, and yet it's 'England is out, England is shit'... but, they must do something to bring these young players through into ENGLISH clubs as a priority. I support a policy of a set minimum amount of English players per club, but also I like the idea of a ONLY English club in the EPL, how would one go about starting something like that?

The only way England can impress me now (not that it’s their job to impress ME), but I’d be really proud if they won the 3rd place, and threw their bronze medals in the bin, live on television. No player worth their salt should be consoled by a bronze, or even silver. I might not have played at the level these guy have. But I remember my first ever county cup final at under 8’s, ended with a runners up medal. I chucked it down the down the drain on the way home. Even at that age I understood what a mark of embarrassment a runners up medal meant. None of this being proud shit for “doing well”, England had a massive chance here, enough patting them on the back & calling it a great achievement.

Roy Keane said this last night to that dope Ian Wright.
The sooner ITV bomb that Wright, the better. Embarrassment of a man.

This is what I find funny about all the anti English haters. England currently hold several 'under' world cup trophies, and yet it's 'England is out, England is shit'... but, they must do something to bring these young players through into ENGLISH clubs as a priority. I support a policy of a set minimum amount of English players per club, but also I like the idea of a ONLY English club in the EPL, how would one go about starting something like that?

There are two issues, one everyone needs instant results and the manager will get sacked very quickly so won't take chances, second English players cost too much.

Also no English club will support any changes because they're scared of taking chances and losing the money.

But know this, if a player is good enough they will get played. Before long I think we'll see a lot more English players in the top division because we'll be producing better players.

There are two issues, one everyone needs instant results and the manager will get sacked very quickly so won't take chances, second English players cost too much.

Also no English club will support any changes because they're scared of taking chances and losing the money.
Yeah I was thinking about the owners etc, but, these are English clubs in England and this is why things like Brexit happen tbh. You've got foreign players in English clubs benefiting from it and getting results when playing for their country and yet some people seem to think it's ok for English players to not be given first priority.

I believe a Brexit PM would implement something like that. You can't have foreign owners dictating what happens in English clubs in England. If they won't respect the fact they are in England and this is our EPL, then they must bugger off lol Long game is key here.

Perhaps a government funded English only EPL club? Young players looking to progress will not care about how much they are getting.

Watching this right now, I'm getting even more angry... Walker for Captain imo

Yeah I was thinking about the owners etc, but, these are English clubs in England and this is why things like Brexit happen tbh. You've got foreign players in English clubs benefiting from it and getting results when playing for their country and yet some people seem to think it's ok for English players to not be given first priority.

I believe a Brexit PM would implement something like that. You can't have foreign owners dictating what happens in English clubs in England. If they won't respect the fact they are in England and this is our EPL, then they must bugger off lol Long game is key here.

Perhaps a government funded English only EPL club? Young players looking to progress will not care about how much they are getting.

You just need good owners, at times my team had 7 academy graduates in the side last season and despite spending around £20m so far this summer they still had 6 youth teamers in the friendly they played yesterday. Despite us struggling last year our youngsters must have something about them as top division clubs were all over them. We've just lost two 16 year olds to bigger clubs too. The trouble is when clubs buy these players they don't play them anyway. It's about your club's mentality.

FIFA going to give us a bollocking after last night :lbf::lbf::lbf:

Just when you thought England were dead and buried they go and grab their greatest success since 1990. The fact that people sees that as failure tells me that England are gonna dominate international football for a number of years.
The weird thing is that none of the players went into the world cup on form. They all ended the season poorly and still managed to achieve this as a team not as individuals. If England can go from that and add some more individual spark they might well repeat the success Spain had.

Don’t start talking shit now, you’ve been sensible of late but England dominating the international scence for years to come? All the top sides in Europe have as strong, if not stronger squads than England plus that little bit extra know how and money in the bank in terms of history and winning major tournaments. Italy will be back stronger, Holland, Spain, Belgium will kick on, Germany, then you have the South Americans, Brazil & Argentina, they’ll come good next time around. Winning is embedded in their football culture.
With England, they need that monkey off their back, but it’s almost like they need a leg-up, the draw to open for them, stars to align, and it did, this was their shot. They had enough talent and enough experience to win it. We as a nation need to get accustomed to only celebrating when it matters, not throwing pints in the air and chanting its coming home after 6-1 vs Panama, i couldn’t believe the hysteria. But if all England fans want to do is to have a pint & a sing song while we roll over some shite side, then they’re in luck, I predict more of the same in the years to come.

You just need good owners, at times my team had 7 academy graduates in the side last season and despite spending around £20m so far this summer they still had 6 youth teamers in the friendly they played yesterday. Despite us struggling last year our youngsters must have something about them as top division clubs were all over them. We've just lost two 16 year olds to bigger clubs too. The trouble is when clubs buy these players they don't play them anyway. It's about your club's mentality.
Yeah that's what I mean with having a government funded club, or maybe even an ex England player or somebody like Alan Sugar who obviously cares about the England team too, but he obviously cares more about Spurs than England.

If they did have an all English team in the EPL, you need 100% commitment to it and use it as a grassroots gateway for English football as a whole.

If those young England players are good enough, they’ll make it, and breakthrough at a top side. The idea that we need an exclusively English League or teams only consisting of English players to give us a better chance internationally is just mad. It’s not like Croatia have got to a final with a 20man squad of homegrown young talent who all play their football in Croatia’s top league. I’ve said all along it’s not about talent or personal, our downfall is our mentality & our culture, thinking we’ve made it when we haven’t, celebrating & hyping mediocre performances. But as for talent, that has never been a problem....

Exhibit 2004
FE15EB2D-7170-4969-898D-D961F097830F.jpeg

If those young England players are good enough, they’ll make it, and breakthrough at a top side. The idea that we need an exclusively English League or teams only consisting of English players to give us a better chance internationally is just mad. It’s not like Croatia have got to a final with a 20man squad of homegrown young talent who all play their football in Croatia’s top league. I’ve said all along it’s not about talent or personal, our downfall is our mentality & our culture, thinking we’ve made it when we haven’t, celebrating & hyping mediocre performances. But as for talent, that has never been a problem....

Exhibit 2004
View attachment 44993
It's irrelevant, the English Premier League is about English football. It is not the United Nations Premier League.

I want everything for our English players, every opportunity, success and that comes from playing consistently and against other top players. This is a great time with Brexit, to put English players first, and I shouldn't need to be saying that English clubs should be prioritising English players, I wouldn't expect another country to be putting English players above their own players.

The idea that the Russian mobs bosses, Arab sheiks & other foreign 21st century tycoons who increasingly own Brit footie clubs are gonna get more “homegrown talent” is an interesting one :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom