Thelma Houston - "I Don’t Believe Morrissey Is Racist" - Pitchfork, Stereogum

Original quote from Pitchfork article:

Morrissey Announces New Album I Am Not a Dog on a Chain, Shares Song

Excerpt:

...When Morrissey announced his last album, California Son, with a slate of guests, some said they had been unaware of his far-right politics. When reached for comment, a representative for Thelma Houston sent Pitchfork the following quote from the singer:

I don’t believe Morrissey is racist. And I got involved with this track because I’ve known about his music for quite some time. Back in 2012, I was collaborating with an artist named Gabe Noel, and he suggested we try some covers. And when he mentioned a Morrissey song called ‘Suedehead,’ as soon as I heard ‘it was a good lay’ lyric - I laughed and was like… Ok let’s cut it!

Thelma Houston Joins Morrissey On New Single, Says “I Don’t Believe Morrissey Is Racist” - Stereogum

Morrissey isn't racist. We all know he isn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
You would have thought he'd murdered someone with all the bad press he's had over recent yrs, rather than just having differing opinions.

Yeah, it's been vicious & disproportionate.

They never even try to discuss issues or win people over - they just want to burn the heretics.

If he was bothered about covering his ass he wouldn't say controversial things in the first place or stubbornly keep saying them.

You can make the case that he's factional & insensitive, but that's about it.
He's attempted to cover his ass multiple times in the past and ends up digging himself in deeper each time. Shall I remind you of the Der Spiegel interview?

If he was bothered about covering his ass he wouldn't say controversial things in the first place or stubbornly keep saying them.

You can make the case that he's factional & insensitive, but that's about it.

:thumb:

He's attempted to cover his ass multiple times in the past and ends up digging himself in deeper each time. Shall I remind you of the Der Spiegel interview?

Yere.......kids really shouldn't end up with notorious homo actors in their bedrooms. Not going to end well.

You don't need to & he didn't cover his ass, he felt the pull-quotes didn't reflect the conversation & they didn't. They made him sound like he was making emphatic statements, when he was mostly rambling & half asleep.

It's why he hates print so much.

You’re a right tweaked little f***, aren’t you?

Typical.

There are 30+ countries on the ground there, f***-tard. I have it on reliable advisement from my 3 friends - from 3 different countries who flew down there before MURRIKKA even knew it was an issue. JUST like WWII. Last in. First to take credit.

Stay in your lane bitch.

:lbf:
Smellvis, are those your three man bitches of different creeds?:lbf:
wassup with the Polish tour it continues to be 'postponed':(

( this loser has likely been nursed on the dole):straightface:

You don't need to & he didn't cover his ass, he felt the pull-quotes didn't reflect the conversation & they didn't. They made him sound like he was making emphatic statements, when he was mostly rambling & half asleep.

Bullshit, he outright claimed that he didn't say certain things and the recording of the interview proved otherwise. I don't even particularly care about the content of it, I'm not offended by it, but I also don't feel compelled to run to Morrissey's defense when he's clearly lied about these things.

Yep

:thumb:

Bullshit, he outright claimed that he didn't say certain things and the recording of the interview proved otherwise. I don't even particularly care about the content of it, I'm not offended by it, but I also don't feel compelled to run to Morrissey's defense when he's clearly lied about these things.

:lbf:

WTF?? are you a Skinny fake name libertarian?:lbf::lbf:

What she actually said is "I don't believe Morrissey. Is a racist." Punctuation is so important.

It's not bullshit. It happens all the time. They change the tone & it's not what the interviewee meant. But they can't sue, because intention is subjective.

He didn't defend Kevin Spacey, he speculated about how it could have happened. He didn't dismiss me too, he wondered about it going too far. It was provisional quoted as definitive, which gets endlessly cited by other articles.

It's why clients are often advised not to mention certain topics & hacks often get told not to ask certain questions. So the answer can't be distorted to create controversy.

It is indeed a brilliant idea to go into an important interview half asleep and start rambling about controversial stuff that has nothing to do with the album that you're supposed to be promoting. We've heard the tape and the Spiegel interview reflected what he said pretty well. It was an Q & A, for God's sake. Everyone's speech gets edited a bit, because if your words are written exactly how you say them, with all the pauses and mumblings, you'll look like a idiot in print.

It is indeed a brilliant idea to go into an important interview half asleep and start rambling about controversial stuff that has nothing to do with the album that you're supposed to be promoting. We've heard the tape and the Spiegel interview reflected what he said pretty well. It was an Q & A, for God's sake. Everyone's speech gets edited a bit, because if your words are written exactly how you say them, with all the pauses and mumblings, you'll look like a idiot in print.

I've heard the Spiegel tape & I don't think the article was a fair representation of the way he spoke or the state he was in.

Everyone's speech gets edited & framed to create a story, if all they could get was Idiot Star Pauses Alot, that's what they'd go for.

But it also depends on the journalist & print is not in a good place, so you're getting more opinion & moral judgments than you used to.

It is indeed a brilliant idea to go into an important interview half asleep and start rambling about controversial stuff that has nothing to do with the album that you're supposed to be promoting.
He didn't go into the interview intent to talk about politics and ignore his own album. The interviewer makes the interview. Moz was just answering the questions she asked him. How can you fault him for that? She asked him controversial questions that he probably wasn't equipped to answer.

Moz noted as much back c.2004 in You Know I Couldn't Last:

The whispering
May hurt you
But the printed word might kill you

I love him but wish he'd sometimes just heed his own words. According to a BBC article on the same, post der spiegel, he now refuses to do interviews with the 'print media'. Good move.

Last edited by a moderator:
Moz noted as much back c.2004 in You Know I Couldn't Last:

The whispering
May hurt you
But the printed word might kill you

I love him but wish he'd sometimes just heed his own words. I think, but not totally sure, post der spiegel he now refuses to do interviews.

Yeah, I think he is refusing to do interviews.

The poor sod's had an epic monstering - he must be surviving on pure Irish defiance right now.

Yeah, I think he is refusing to do interviews.

The poor sod's had an epic monstering - he must be surviving on pure Irish defiance right now.

Yep, he's tough, resilient & defiant: gotta be the Irish Blood English Heart;
There is no-one on Earth he's afraid of ;)

Tags
i am not a dog on a chain info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom