'There is a light...' Banner at Manchester City FC

Following on from the thread about Liverpool fans displaying a TIALTNGO, thought I'd make this thread about a similar (and original :thumb: ) banner on display at Manchester City FC.
It was produced in September after the death of legenda...ry coach Malcolm Allison as well as naming his partner, and club manager, Joe Mercer. The pair swept trophies galore between. 1966 and 1971.
I wonder if Jukebox Jury had anything to do with it?

t6bj9x.jpg

Ah, yeah. I noticed that on MOTD.

Following on from the thread about Liverpool fans displaying a TIALTNGO, thought I'd make this thread about a similar (and original :thumb: ) banner on display at Manchester City FC.
It was produced in September after the death of legenda...ry coach Malcolm Allison as well as naming his partner, and club manager, Joe Mercer. The pair swept trophies galore between. 1966 and 1971.
I wonder if Jukebox Jury had anything to do with it?

t6bj9x.jpg

As I recall, though I was very young at the time, The Smiths were always popular with the "casuals", so its quite fitting this should appear.
This decade gets ever more 80s bound

Anyone got a scan of the Guardian coverage from a Smiths convention at Manchester University a few years ago? Photos by Stephen Wright I think...

A fan with a union jack with "there is a light..." and a Huddersfield Town crest on it... original and best :thumb:

Come on Town!

Dave

Anyone got a scan of the Guardian coverage from a Smiths convention at Manchester University a few years ago? Photos by Stephen Wright I think...

A fan with a union jack with "there is a light..." and a Huddersfield Town crest on it... original and best :thumb:

Come on Town!

Dave

I've got that somewhere - I'll scan it later. Yes, it was Gavin from Huddersfield. Is he still around? There's also a picture of a very hungover me and Hugh. That was a tough session to get through!

P.

I've got that somewhere - I'll scan it later. Yes, it was Gavin from Huddersfield. Is he still around? There's also a picture of a very hungover me and Hugh. That was a tough session to get through!

P.

You are a gem!

Dave

Why is everyone wearing black? :confused:

Here he is - Gavin from Huddersfield at the top of the steps at the S&G, from The Guardian Guide, Saturday April 23th, 2005.

oj4lk2.jpg

P.

Brilliant!

The billionaires in the premier league have screen printed banners. The hoofers in league one get their marker pens out!

I know where I'd rather be. Well, I'd rather be in the Championship next year than in League One again.... and maybe in the Premier League at some stage... :thumb:

And this must be he article http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2005/apr/23/popandrock.smiths Gavin is from Doncaster - he must have chosen Huddersfield Town whereas I had it forced on me :)

Dave

Last edited:
Cos it's Britain. In winter. And everyone's a man (even the women) ;)

Because black is how we fell on the inside.
Only messing, I tend to feel pink- although she did complain to the police

English football fans are so proper and well dressed. American football fans...not so much.

jets-fans.jpg

packer%20fans%20sportin%20there%20deer%20hats.jpg

bears-fans.jpg

420x316-alg_steelers-fans.jpg

I really want to go to a match in England some day. That would be so much fun. I'll wear my fanciest black pea coat and look particularly not thrilled to be there even though I would be so jazzed inside. :D Do you guys drink beer at your matches? I don't see anyone holding a 20 pound cup of beer.

English football fans are so proper and well dressed. American football fans...not so much.

jets-fans.jpg

packer%20fans%20sportin%20there%20deer%20hats.jpg

bears-fans.jpg

420x316-alg_steelers-fans.jpg

I really want to go to a match in England some day. That would be so much fun. I'll wear my fanciest black pea coat and look particularly not thrilled to be there even though I would be so jazzed inside. :D Do you guys drink beer at your matches? I don't see anyone holding a 20 pound cup of beer.

Well we have a lot of yobs in England thus the fans can't be trusted, the the football yobs have ,at least, had an element of youth in the past

Last edited:

I really want to go to a match in England some day. That would be so much fun. I'll wear my fanciest black pea coat and look particularly not thrilled to be there even though I would be so jazzed inside. Do you guys drink beer at your matches? I don't see anyone holding a 20 pound cup of beer.

Well there is sometimes a bit of this

RiotES_468x274.jpg

infrequently a bit of this

cantona_tritt_DW_Ba_804805p.jpg

always a lot of that

4163614341_efa84ed5bb.jpg

Back
Top Bottom