Morrissey Central "TIME IS NOT ON OUR SIDE" (August 24, 2021)

TIME IS NOT ON OUR SIDE

images-4_kfvnb7.jpg

CHARLIE WATTS
REST IN STRENGTH

Regards,
FWD.

"In New York, Mick Jagger arrives backstage and extends the hand of friendship. It is a big moment for Johnny, but I, of course, am a nightmare of judgment, and it takes me years to understand the genius secret of the Rolling Stones. Dismissal can be a secret form of arrogance, and I held this proudly against the Stones until the light shifted and I caught myself being utterly wrong. The in-built censorship can also often be a substitute for not actually knowing any better, and I now agonize over my criticisms of the Stones – with blather that was anything but a true reflection of the facts."
The reason why I love English as a language so much, so that you can describe with long, circular sentences that "yeah, I was a dick" and even the Queen wouldn't raise an eyebrow.

The reason why I love English as a language so much, so that you can describe with long, circular sentences that "yeah, I was a dick" and even the Queen wouldn't raise an eyebrow.

It's not circular.

It's got a classic dramatic structure - he met Mick & dismissed him. He was proud he was different from the Stones. Then something happened to make him realise their genius. Now he's in agony thinking of the wrong things he said about them & has become a fan.

Boy meets Jagger.
Boy loses Jagger
Boy gets Jagger

It's not circular.

It's got a classic dramatic structure - he met Mick & dismissed him. He was proud he was different from the Stones. Then something happened to make him realise their genius. Now he's in agony thinking of the wrong things he said about them & has become a fan.

Boy meets Jagger.
Boy loses Jagger
Boy gets Jagger
Yes, you’d have to extract life from the story—and then you might get sense from the former contributor’s conclusion.

There is a show from the Ringleaders tour where he played a Dolls song (Human Being) and after it was over he said "At least it wasn't a Rolling Stones song. THAT would have been SHIT."
😝
Odd (or perhaps arch) in retrospect given the NYDs were simply The Stones in drag. Not that the latter themselves were particularly masculine.

This was a hard blow. I could not stop the tears from falling yesterday. We’ve lost our darling. He will be greatly missed

RIP Charlie

IMG_-aaciwc.jpg

I loved Charlie's style since first hearing "She was hot" in 1983, aged 12. And yes, I absolutely adore the archetypal, rude uptempo Stones rocker (Fight, Whip, Hand of fate, Where the boys go...) with Watts in full flight. RIP Charlie, a true gentleman and great talent, that will be dearly missed. Picture taken by me during the 14 on fire tour in June 2014 in Düsseldorf.

Glad, Moz changed his mind concerning the Stones.

Last edited:
Odd (or perhaps arch) in retrospect given the NYDs were simply The Stones in drag. Not that the latter themselves were particularly masculine.
To each his own but I'd take the Dolls any day. I have tried so many times to get into the Stones. I just don't get it.

To each his own but I'd take the Dolls any day. I have tried so many times to get into the Stones. I just don't get it.

The early Stones are very interesting (by 1975 they were already quite boring)
I also prefer the Dolls, but the influence is impossible to deny.

I wonder how many hours the young Johnny Marr spent listening to the opening riff of 'Gimme Shelter', lost in awe.

As a 12 year old boy I saw The Rolling Stones twice in one night at Birmingham Odeon. I took my son to see them at Cardiff Millenium Stadium a couple of years ago. Nothing had changed, they were still sui generis. The greatest.

A life spent resenting the vast commercial success of The Rolling Stones by way of some misguided attempt to eulogise the originally ignored New York Dolls would have been a wasted life.

Time Waits For No One, not Charlie, Morrissey or me...

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom