Tim's Twitter Listening Party - "Strangeways, Here We Come" with Stephen Street (Sep. 28, 2020)

Wow, Reel and I agree on something. I thought Control was dull as f***, but I also don’t think there’s anything particularly interesting about Joy Division.

I challenge anyone to stay awake while reading Stephen Street's tweets. I dozed off half way through the second one. As for his sycophantic responses to Mike Joyce's comments, well, a nation turned it's back and gagged.

I challenge anyone to stay awake while reading Stephen Street's tweets. I dozed off half way through the second one. As for his sycophantic responses to Mike Joyce's comments, well, a nation turned it's back and gagged.

You're supposed to listen to the album and read the tweets. They're supposed to be incidental to the music, not just stand on their own. I think it's great he joined it - Strangeways is an impressive accomplishment.

If anyone's interested in a Replay, go here: https://timstwitterlisteningparty.com/pages/replay.html

Well, at least we know Morrissey wasn’t the weak link in that chain, just listen to what came quickly after... Viva Hate. :rock:

Maybe Marr would have written better music if he wasn’t so stressed out by managerial duties. Though, listening to Marr’s offerings after Strangeways, it seems his creative juices may have run dry.

:cool:
The death of the Smiths is what made his lyrics and performance on Viva Hate so powerful. He'd grown complacent towards the end of the Smiths and fell back too often on "carry on" style humour. The only stand out, heartfelt tracks on Strangeways are Last Night, Paint a Vulgar, and I won't share you. Admittedly they are peak Smiths.

The death of the Smiths is what made his lyrics and performance on Viva Hate so powerful. He'd grown complacent towards the end of the Smiths and fell back too often on "carry on" style humour. The only stand out, heartfelt tracks on Strangeways are Last Night, Paint a Vulgar, and I won't share you. Admittedly they are peak Smiths.
The armchair quarterback had spoken.

You're supposed to listen to the album and read the tweets. They're supposed to be incidental to the music, not just stand on their own. I think it's great he joined it - Strangeways is an impressive accomplishment.

If anyone's interested in a Replay, go here: https://timstwitterlisteningparty.com/pages/replay.html
Bang on. ...but it takes an open mind and wide swath of taste in music to appreciate these “parties”. So many great artists. So much great commentary from those involved in the productions. So much variety. It takes a music lover to appreciate the format and engage. Listen to an album. Flip the record. Follow the stream. It’s really the only positive thing on Twitter. Probably not something for the Melvistown minions. They’re heads are so far up the arse that they can’t tell music from MUZAK. ...until he dies, which won’t be far off - with his diet and lifestyle. What will they do then? Troll the aisles of the grocery store, listening to Everyday is Like Sunday? Stretch on his grave, with a bottle of Vodka? Rush and push until they’re hollow heads cave in from reality. We live in strange times.

That’s one opinion. ...and very nice - but maybe in the next world.

Completely agree. Sometimes the hand of fate plays a part in these things. The Smiths needed to happen in 1982 when Marr knocked on Morrissey's door - and The Smiths needed to end when they did. They ended on a high with an album they can be proud of. But the impact on Morrissey's creativity was immense. What would the world be like with no Viva Hate and no Vauxhall and I? Unthinkable.

Wow, Reel and I agree on something. I thought Control was dull as f***, but I also don’t think there’s anything particularly interesting about Joy Division.

Control was an arthouse movie - you can tell it was directed by a photographer of the calibre of Anton Corbijn - it's beautiful to look at it.
Never been a huge JD fan - but they did bring an artistic sensibility to their music and their product that I think was lacking in British music until then. And I think this was something that influenced The Smiths, whether consciously or unconsciously. But with the cover art for The Smiths, Moz went much more for a 60s kitchen sink drama look - as befitted their name. What was similar was the seriousness that this was art - not just music.

Control was an arthouse movie - you can tell it was directed by a photographer of the calibre of Anton Corbijn - it's beautiful to look at it.
Never been a huge JD fan - but they did bring an artistic sensibility to their music and their product that I think was lacking in British music until then. And I think this was something that influenced The Smiths, whether consciously or unconsciously. But with the cover art for The Smiths, Moz went much more for a 60s kitchen sink drama look - as befitted their name. What was similar was the seriousness that this was art - not just music.
Corbijn's video of Atmosphere was beautiful to look at, but I felt Control didn't capture any of that same beauty.

I don’t want to urinate on your parade, but I wouldn’t get to excited about your new friend..... remember what he/ she is, and he/she should be put up against a wall and shot....
That said, your right there is nothing particularly interesting about joy division ...

As they were displayed here as a front page item, inviting comment, without the audio from the 'listening party' - surely the worst kind of party imaginable - I believe it was perfectly valid to comment on the inane babble we've been presented with. As for going back to listen to the 'Replay', which would be akin to a dog returning to it's vomit, I'll pass.

That'll be the same Tim Burgess who was calling Morrissey 'gammon' not so long ago.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom