Tom Chaplin (of Keane) covers 'Please, Please, Please...' live (Manchester, 2017)

Ah yes. Remember the letter where Moz railed against Keane and their success?

I thought this was an excellent version.

Don't think he railed about their success; he simply was miffed that their album beat You are the Quarry to the number one slot.
Much better when he was moaning about 6 day sale weeks , than posting those You Tube videos of "free speech" zealots.

I liked the cover too. But I like Keane, so I may be biased. ;)

I don't remember Morrissey railing against Keane in a letter specifically, but I remember that he went off on a bit of a rant about them once. Something about their debut album knocking 'Quarry' off the top spot or something? At the time, I thought it was tongue-in-cheek, but I have no idea anymore...

I don't remember Morrissey railing against Keane in a letter specifically, but I remember that he went off on a bit of a rant about them once. Something about their debut album knocking 'Quarry' off the top spot or something? At the time, I thought it was tongue-in-cheek, but I have no idea anymore...

Yes, it was more a go at the 'rubbish' pluggers and management at Sanctuary who he claimed had robbed him of a prized number one album, whilst 'Keane storm on'

Sophie Heawood (The Guardian, 11th Nov., 2013):

"...How I thought of that when I read Morrissey's memoirs and found Keane making a surprise appearance on page 376, when the man says how "astonishing" it was when their debut album, Hopes and Fears, kept his Quarry off the number one spot, and they wrote to him to apologise. (What he doesn't mention is that he replied saying he forgave them.)"

Regards,
FWD.

Jut read today that they are recording a new album, looking forward to that. I was never into Keane but saw them supporting U2 at Madison Square Garden on the Vertigo tour and thought they were excellent live.

Yes, it was more a go at the 'rubbish' pluggers and management at Sanctuary who he claimed had robbed him of a prized number one album, whilst 'Keane storm on'
Utter f***ing nonsense. It was nothing at all to to do with pluggers or Sanctuary, idiotic racist clown. Top tip - try checking your facts before making an utter dick of yourself time and time again.

He also covered 'why don't you find out for yourself' a while back, too. Love the first Keane album but the rest were strangely mediocre.

Morrissey is so sweet to have bothered replying with such kind words.

As if he really cared about (Roy’s) Keane getting number one and not Quarry.

Sophie Heawood (The Guardian, 11th Nov., 2013):

"...How I thought of that when I read Morrissey's memoirs and found Keane making a surprise appearance on page 376, when the man says how "astonishing" it was when their debut album, Hopes and Fears, kept his Quarry off the number one spot, and they wrote to him to apologise. (What he doesn't mention is that he replied saying he forgave them.)"

Regards,
FWD.

He also covered 'why don't you find out for yourself' a while back, too. Love the first Keane album but the rest were strangely mediocre.

I liked the first two myself. Crystal ball is such a sad song. Think they just didn’t know how to grow beyond that sound and kinda floundered

I liked the first two myself. Crystal ball is such a sad song. Think they just didn’t know how to grow beyond that sound and kinda floundered

I think he had a drug abuse problem after the 2nd album but got himself sorted out

I think he had a drug abuse problem after the 2nd album but got himself sorted out

That’s cool and it happens. I liked some songs off of the third album but it sorta had the feeling of oh what do we do next, bring in the electronics etc. I know Tom gets a lot of attention but for me it’s oxley that’s the draw

Yeah, Crystal Ball ain't bad.
Favourite on that album is the Hamburger Song.
A brilliant take on the early 90s Manchester scene:
"I don't wanna be adored... don't wanna be the only one you know" etc. Cracking stuff!

That’s cool and it happens. I liked some songs off of the third album but it sorta had the feeling of oh what do we do next, bring in the electronics etc. I know Tom gets a lot of attention but for me it’s oxley that’s the draw

I had only seen them once which was back in 2005 when they supported U2. Apart from Joy Division its the only time I've seen a relatively unknown band wow and audience and it was all down to the energy they put into the performance, they were brilliant and what a f***ing voice. Saw them again 4 or 5 years later at V festival and they were excellent again.

I had only seen them once which was back in 2005 when they supported U2. Apart from Joy Division its the only time I've seen a relatively unknown band wow and audience and it was all down to the energy they put into the performance, they were brilliant and what a f***ing voice. Saw them again 4 or 5 years later at V festival and they were excellent again.

For sure he has a great voice though Ive never heard it live myself. The lyrics on hopes and fears were universally lovely as well. I sometimes wonder who wrote them. I like to think about what would’ve happened had oxley joined Coldplay when he was asked

I can't tell the difference between them and Snow Patrol. Are they the same people with two names like Parliament Funkadelic?

used to love keane,their first album was excellent.bedshaped was an amazing song,just checked their discography and saw hopes and fears was released in 2004,nearly fell off my bed,where did the last fifteen years go.

used to love keane,their first album was excellent.bedshaped was an amazing song,just checked their discography and saw hopes and fears was released in 2004,nearly fell off my bed,where did the last fifteen years go.

I remember playing hopes and fears to death at my do nothing family owned easy post college job. Everyone was like in there mid twenties and insufferable, myself at times included, and were always playing our how out there can it get hipster music when I feel in love with Keane. Annoyed the crap out of all my friends who were stuck listening to it. Those memories do seem like a long time ago. “ I can't remember all the times I tried to tell my myself go hold on to these moments as they pass”, good advice if you can manage

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom