Morrissey Central "TROUBLE LOVES ME" (April 3, 2021)

I never saw the show! I was dumped in Rialtos dressing room. With the A & R man, a couple of groupies & sometimes the band.
Niace.

The "rescuing" was quite mutual, Alain wrote many of Morrissey's finest songs (and hits). Jesse Tobias not so much
Not to the same degrees...

Alain did write some fine songs with Morrissey, and deserves credit for the 2004 hits, but I think it would be a bit much to claim that he "rescued" Morrissey. Mick Ronson received most of the plaudits for Your Arsenal, and it could be argued that Boz co-wrote the 3 key tracks on Vauxhall and I. Not to mention that Morrissey himself was revitalized on the latter album.

The 1991 live shows would have been successful with any band and Andrew Collins' comment when the first single in 1992 was released still amuses me: "the live B-side of Suedehead was played by monkeys who clearly hated Viva Hate." :LOL:

Morrissey's career would have continued in some form without Alain, but it's unlikely that Alain would achieved anything like the level of success if he hadn't met an already established singer at that time.

fckin echobelly. if there was one band that epitomises what went wrong with 90s indie rock...

There are contradictory accounts and a fair amount of hearsay. Morrissey claimed in his book that Alain wanted to appear on album covers and was intending to write a memoir. I think the former is gilding the lily around the fact that Alain had started his side project, Red Lightning, just before You Are The Quarry came out. He left the Quarry tour in Europe and video of his last gig showed him to be "not quite right." While there has been no definitive accounting of his departure - barring Boz Boorer writing on his old tour journal (now long gone) that Alain's "illness was apparent" - speculation is that he was severely depressed. He apparently tried (or asked) to rejoin the tour later that fall, which didn't come to pass. Similarly, his songs were used - and he recorded with the band - for Ringleader of the Tormentors, but was not asked to join the tour. That seemingly cemented Tobias as his permanent replacement live. Supposedly, Alain tried to join the recordings for Years of Refusal, but was barred from the studio, despite having provided (again) the lion's share of the co-writes. The rumor is that Boz was sent out to the parking lot to send him off. Fin.

All that said, barring Morrissey's account (to be fair, not the gold standard for unvarnished truth), nothing has been definitively put on the record. Alain's only comments publicly have been to the effect of "things happen for a reason." Whatever transpired, it's a pity.
Very interesting, this. A lot of which I didn’t know. Thanks! If it’s true that he was barred from the studio, that’s awful.

I must’ve seen Rialto on that tour, Supporting Echobelly then. The latter were a great band. With a really poor name. I really liked the 'On' LP.

Same, I’ve just bought On again as there is a second CD with some live material included. I’ve had a beer with Sonya in the Scarsdale Tavern in Kensington, which is her local, she was really nice, the only problem with that pub is that it’s also that gobshite Piers Morgan’s local as well.

Just listened to them for the first time. Like em. Their name is fine. Easy to remember.
Rialto? Yes their debut album is stunning. This is 'My Life Story' the other band I was sure was gonna be big :ROFLMAO:

Quite catchy.

Echobelly are fantastic. Everyone's Got One, On and Lustra are great albums.
And they were supposed to support Morrissey in 1994.

Is this Paul Weller 👇

View attachment 70521

I'm collecting pictures of British pop stars who could use Union flags without comment - & it's basically every last one of them except Morrissey.

It's hilarious. Apparently it will only encourage fascism if you sing a song where your family & friends think they've lost you to the National Front & you're primarily known for hating Royalty, Mrs Thatcher & hamburgers.

View attachment 70523
View attachment 70524
View attachment 70525
View attachment 70526
View attachment 70527

Some woman on Twitter was claiming that Brit Pop had to rescue the flag from the evil of Morrissey. It's deranged!

View attachment 70534
Paul Weller has said some horrible things about Morrissey over the years. Morrissey has always been very nice and complementary about Paul Weller though. I think Morrissey was a fan of the group 'The Jam'?

Morrissey had a falling out with David Bowie I think when he went on tour with him. Damon Albarn (from 'Blur') has said some horrible things about Morrissey over the years.

Sonya Madan used to be friends with Morrissey but something happened. I was shocked I saw an interview with her in a magazine in recent years she seems to of turned against Morrissey. I found it very upsetting considering Morrissey used to be a fan of her band.

Maybe we will never know the truth as to what Alain Whyte did to Morrissey?

Paul Weller has said some horrible things about Morrissey over the years. Morrissey has always been very nice and complementary about Paul Weller though. I think Morrissey was a fan of the group 'The Jam'?

Morrissey had a falling out with David Bowie I think when he went on tour with him. Damon Albarn (from 'Blur') has said some horrible things about Morrissey over the years.

Sonya Madan used to be friends with Morrissey but something happened. I was shocked I saw an interview with her in a magazine in recent years she seems to of turned against Morrissey. I found it very upsetting considering Morrissey used to be a fan of her band.

I think the music industry can be unforgiving. They're all supposed to be number one or the coolest & the press pretends every new style makes the previous one obsolete.

For example:

IMG_20210405_121939.jpg

20210208_091932.jpg

I think the music industry can be unforgiving. They're all supposed to be number one or the coolest & the press pretends every new style makes the previous one obsolete.

For example:

View attachment 70563

View attachment 70564
I think Andrew Collins reviewed Vauxhall for Q Magazine. As I remember, that review was glowing.

It was only when I started to engage with reviews as job applications, for the BBC, that the world of music journalism began to make any sense at all.

Has Damon really said ‘horrible’ things about Moz? Can you please state what he has said?

I think Andrew Collins reviewed Vauxhall for Q Magazine. As I remember, that review was glowing.

It was only when I started to engage with reviews as job applications, for the BBC, that the world of music journalism began to make any sense at all.

Yeah, there's a lot of status jockeying in reviews.

Scottish theatre always gets a shock when a London reviewer who isn't invested in being their friend gives them a stinker.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom