TTY: Buenos Aires - Morrissey statement on Buenos Aires Dec. 9 show and Madonna; Jesse Tobias photo

An anonymous person sends the link:

Buenos Aires - true-to-you.net
10 December 2015

Photograph below of Jesse Tobias with two audience members after Morrissey's 9th December show at the Opera Theater. Many rows of seats were smashed during the show, and the band described it as one of the best of their lives.
Meanwhile, McDonna, wearing a dead animal on her head, sings out-of-tune on the streets of Paris to 60 people ... who offer fake applause ... and this rotates on the UK television news as worthy of national interest. The world is indeed full of crashing bores ...

Morrissey
Buenos Aires
10 December 2015

buenos_aires.jpg

According to Google his net worth is estimated at 32 million pounds.
By contrast Johnny Marr is estimated at 2,5 million. Go figure.

that makes a lot of sense to me. how many number ones did he have solo or even top ten. the more you ignore probably made him a bundle alone even subtracting full album sales royalties. hes been touring large venues for a while to large crowds. how much property does he own and didnt he seel the la house not to long ag fr a tidy sum. the idea that hes broke just doesnt make much sense to me. marr on the other hand, what did he make money from after the smiths. electronic probably made him some money but i cant imagine that hes getting much from the healers or the the etc. maybe he made something off of sales from the modest mouse record but what percentage if one at all do you think he got from that record. he might have just made a flat fee. morrisseys solo career has made him tons even if they dont carry the weight of critical delight as the smiths do.

Yet he is on permanent tour and has been for years, playing small venues a percentage of which are not sold out. Why? He was said to be broke ahead of Quarry and the success of that album was believed to have dug him out of the financial mire. Does anyone think World Peace recouped its outlay?

I don't listen to music radio and haven't for nearly thirty years. Do Smiths and Morrissey songs get heavy play? You might hear a few Smiths songs used in television shows occasionally, but I doubt you could buy much on the proceeds of that. I remember reading last year about some dingbattess who had a number one single singing about having a fat arse made about five grand from that song in total.

Streaming services pay next to nothing. Spotify pay $0.007 per play. Or is it $0.0007? Let's assume it's the former. Suedehead has seven and a half million plays. What's that? $50,000 or so? Gang has eight and a half million plays, so... $60,000 ish? Sunday has circa eight million streams, so add another $55,000. In total, since release, assuming no-one else gets a cut, which of course they will. Apple Music, Deezer et cetera will add more to the pot, but again, that's not just this year, it's the entire total.

I think there is a reason he never stops touring. It pays the bills.

this is all true. nobody gets paid 60 pounds per radio play. you have to know nothing of the music industry to post such a ridiculous figure.
the bottom fell out of the music industry over ten years ago. royalities paid on old catalog are negligible often pennies. this is due to the fact that nobody buys music. when someone actually buys music it generates royalties.
when nobody buys there are no royalties.
as for the ridiculous sum of 60 pound per radio play, which i guess is about 120 dollars per, you have to be in another planet to post that sort of nonsense. the songwriter/publishing business/radio station business is worse off than the music industry if such a thing is possible. nobody pays publishing anymore.
60 pounds per radio play. LOL

are you nuts? quit making up stuff.
i know real songwriters who receive quarterly checks from bmi and ascap for ten dollars.
you are talking absolute pony. labels dont split with the songwriter, the publisher does.

59 pounds for one song? not in this universe are you nuts? you wont get that money for a million plays on spotify.

you have now a new world record for talking nonsense.
if such a thing were true, 60 quid per radio play, every single songwriter/musician would be filthy rich instead of being broke.

http://amarudontv.com/2012/07/19/do...es-how-much-you-get-paid-per-spin-from-radio/

http://www.theguardian.com/music/shortcuts/2013/jul/15/spotify-musicians-money-thom-yorke

Based on your average 3m30s song:

BBC Radio 1 – up to £58.94.
BBC Radio 2 – up to £79.48.
BBC 6 Music – up to £16.52.
BBC 1Xtra – up to £11.72.
BBC Regional Stations – up to £5.
BBC Asian Network – up to £18.

Last edited:
The only time Morrissey claims to have no money is when either the taxman or Michael Joyce 's lawyers come a callin'. The rest of the time he is sipping expensive champagne by his 5-star hotel swimming pool, resting his feet on Damon's back, wearing designer shirts that cost more than most people's monthly wage, more bling jewellery than Mr T, having salt ground on his side serving of chips by his hired goon, and thinking about whether to decamp to his luxury home in Hollywood or Laussane after the tour.

If he was that strapped for crash he'd be slumming it in the tour bus with the band, sleeping in travel taverns, eating in sloppy cafes where he has to put his own salt on his food, and would own a modest semi-detached in Grimsby. Ironically, I suspect if he was less well off, and forced to mingle with normal human beings, he'd probably be a lot better adjusted mentally, and happier. I don't mean *broke*, cos everyone needs money, just that he wasn't cocooned in his multi-millionaire bubble with only hired yes-men, semi-human cling-ons and his own swollen head for company. That shit aint no good for no one.

this is all true. nobody gets paid 60 pounds per radio play. you have to know nothing of the music industry to post such a ridiculous figure.
the bottom fell out of the music industry over ten years ago. royalities paid on old catalog are negligible often pennies. this is due to the fact that nobody buys music. when someone actually buys music it generates royalties.
when nobody buys there are no royalties.
as for the ridiculous sum of 60 pound per radio play, which i guess is about 120 dollars per, you have to be in another planet to post that sort of nonsense. the songwriter/publishing business/radio station business is worse off than the music industry if such a thing is possible. nobody pays publishing anymore.
60 pounds per radio play. LOL

See post above, includes links

Make no mistake - Morrissey is f***ing loaded. Forget album sales, or even the large sum 'Autobiography' must have netted him - he earns a shit load on tour. How much money do you think that one night at the 02 arena in London netted him last year? Close to sold out - let's call it 15,000 people (largest capacity is 20,000), paying £65 a ticket - that's practically one million pounds in one night. Obviously, he only gets a percentage of that, and not every night on tour is such a jackpot, but there are enough of them that the guy has more money than he could ever conceivably spend.

And he deserves it all.
Jealous?

Not sure how many plays The Smiths or Morrissey get but its very lucrative when they do -

Radio: A play for a three-minute song on Radio 2 generates £59.73 (collected by PRS for Music) for the songwriters, and a similar figure (collected by PPL) is split between the label and the performing artists.

About playing small venues.
David Bowie came to play in my town in 2002.
My town - Kelowna, British Columbia, about 200 000 people.
Well established artists sometimes play in unusual places, somewhere where they have never been before. They are tired of playing the same cities, venues, crowds. They don't have to do it. Rolling Stones don't have to play, they are stinky rich, but they do it because they want to. What's the alternative? Playing bingo or poker? Take your pick.

http://amarudontv.com/2012/07/19/do...es-how-much-you-get-paid-per-spin-from-radio/

http://www.theguardian.com/music/shortcuts/2013/jul/15/spotify-musicians-money-thom-yorke

Based on your average 3m30s song:

BBC Radio 1 – up to £58.94.
BBC Radio 2 – up to £79.48.
BBC 6 Music – up to £16.52.
BBC 1Xtra – up to £11.72.
BBC Regional Stations – up to £5.
BBC Asian Network – up to £18.

I clicked on your first link. I read the figures there you posted. It says "Figures from this source." I clicked on THAT and got a 404 error.
Your second link, from the Guardian, seems to be using the same figures but when you click on their source it takes you to the front page of a website, and not actual proof.
"A play for a three-minute song on Radio 2 generates £59.73"
Notice they switch the figure, because the thing you posted above gives this (entirely fictitious?) figure as being for Radio 1. It's a pretty clear indication it's not true when the links don't even say the same thing.

But even if that were true and BBC Radio 1 and Radio 2 pay this extraordinary amount, the average amount is pennies, and is collected by the publishing company. Of course the artist eventually gets paid, if they haven't sold their rights in the first place. Remember they offered Morrissey permission to license "Paris" to re-release it. If he sells the rights to the publishing company he only gets paid that initial time.

I think the point of the Thom Yorke story was, "Filthy rich wanker complains he is underpaid for his whining funeral dirges." The public love that sort of thing.

I've been vegetarian since 88 and vegan since 95. So on the behalf of M and I... we thank you. Keep them coming! :thumb:

Vegan?! Stop killing plants! Innocent life-loving plants are being thrown into the gas chambers to be chomped by ravenous vegans. For god's sake let the brussell sprouts live. End the Horseradish Holocaust NOW!

I clicked on your first link. I read the figures there you posted. It says "Figures from this source." I clicked on THAT and got a 404 error.
Your second link, from the Guardian, seems to be using the same figures but when you click on their source it takes you to the front page of a website, and not actual proof.
"A play for a three-minute song on Radio 2 generates £59.73"
Notice they switch the figure, because the thing you posted above gives this (entirely fictitious?) figure as being for Radio 1. It's a pretty clear indication it's not true when the links don't even say the same thing.

But even if that were true and BBC Radio 1 and Radio 2 pay this extraordinary amount, the average amount is pennies, and is collected by the publishing company. Of course the artist eventually gets paid, if they haven't sold their rights in the first place. Remember they offered Morrissey permission to license "Paris" to re-release it. If he sells the rights to the publishing company he only gets paid that initial time.

I think the point of the Thom Yorke story was, "Filthy rich wanker complains he is underpaid for his whining funeral dirges." The public love that sort of thing.

Here is another piece on this subject - by an online record company http://www.sentricmusic.com/blog/2014/october/a-dab-ble-into-radio-royalties/

And here from the BBC itself - One play of Somewhere Only We Know on BBC Radio 2 generates £76.20 in royalties.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27486952

Need any further proof?

Last edited:
this refers if is a song is used as part of a radio program. it has nothing to do with regular airplay for which the aritst does not get paid by the station directly. it merely has to pay the bmi and ascap license and they will later distribute to the publishers. ascap and bmi uses a formula to pay out to the songwriters. thus songwriters whose material does not get much airlplay get pennies. even songwriters who do get played hardly make any money as there are fewer and fewer radio stations that play anything bug hip hop and dance music.

it specifies that bbc is a special case in the uk:

It’s important to note that royalties are not always payable from radio broadcasts; some radio stations (like BBC stations) have to pay out for every piece of music they use, whereas some smaller stations only need to report the music that they play on certain sample days, in order to represent the music they play on a regular basis. Also, many online only radio stations are not licensed – this means that royalties will not be due for any plays. - See more at: http://www.sentricmusic.com/blog/2014/october/a-dab-ble-into-radio-royalties/#sthash.hb1DhFFv.dpuf

and hardly anybody else pays as stated above, in the usa only the songwriter gets bmi/ascap royalties.

Here is another piece on this subject - by an online record company http://www.sentricmusic.com/blog/2014/october/a-dab-ble-into-radio-royalties/

And here from the BBC itself - One play of Somewhere Only We Know on BBC Radio 2 generates £76.20 in royalties.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27486952

Need any further proof?

I would like proof that you read the things you link to, if possible. Just joking, but this should be something we learn from and not something where someone is right and someone is wrong. This would actually be in your best interests because your argument appears to be that every time a Morrissey or Smiths song is played on the radio that Morrissey gets paid. This is not true. Maybe when Janice Long features his new single on her show he gets the 80 pounds or whatever. (Notice you have submitted a third link now with different figures.)
When you get to XFM it's less than a pound. This is split between the record company and everyone featured on the record, according to your link. And as another person stated this is the way it works in the UK, but he probably gets more play there anyway. I haven't heard Morrissey on the radio in the United States since the 90's.

One of your links says that PPL distributed 147 million pounds total in 2012. You can imagine it's a few names who collected the vast majority of that money. One Direction, Taylor Swift, Ed Sheeran, Adele, whoever else might come to mind, you get the idea.

It would be interesting to see the actual figures that anyone whose name we know received. I would imagine that Morrissey winds up losing much of the rights to his plays though, because before an artist is paid the advance is subtracted, the recording costs, the video costs, and other costs depending on the contract.

http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2013/12/18/weirdal/
Weird Al's lawsuit about digital sales and streaming.

http://www.negativland.com/news/?page_id=17
Ancient Steve Albini article about how record companies cheat musicians.

Is that the same lad pictured wearing half of Tosserrey's blue shirt in Santiago Nov 14 ?

Benny-the-British-Butcher

Has Alain had any writing credits with Adele? It might explain why he has done a recent 360 degree turn around from praising her for being all about the voice, to accusing her of being a hyped non-entity.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom