TTY: Chicago Riot Fest back on

An anonymous person writes:

According to True To You, "Morrissey is confirmed to headline the Chicago Riot Fest on Saturday, September 17."

Regarding the word 'headline' - pure speculation, but I wonder if the original hold-up was over The Misfits getting top billing?

Chicago Riot Fest - true-to-you.net
26 May 2016

Morrissey is confirmed to headline the Chicago Riot Fest on Saturday, September 17.

38705_bruce_scan.jpg

UPDATE June 1:
Link posted by an anonymous person:

Riot Fest founder Mike Petryshyn: “I needed Riot Fest more than Riot Fest needed to be created” - WGN Radio

Morrissey discussion from 2:00 - 4:00, 'there was never a doubt Morrissey was playing'.

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm. Well, the Misfits seem to have played one gig this year, in a 900-seat venue. In contrast Morrissey seems to be able to do 30-date US tours pretty much at will (provided he actually finishes them, of course), Madison Square Gardens here, Galen Center there. I do get that more people are going to want to see this classic line-up, but, on paper at least, they have an awful lot of catching up to do. Could they follow this festival appearance with a sellout arena tour? I don't really see it.

Sorry, but I don't think that Morrissey could do a sellout arena tour. Nor could the Misfits, but you're comparing apples and oranges. Sure, Moz could nail it in some of the bigger cities, LA, maybe SF, Maaaaybe NYC, but he always tours mid-size theaters, sells out most of them, with a couple of big shows at arenas bookending the tour. Unfortunately, he's squandered much of the goodwill that people had for him in the years since the Quarry comeback.

Speaking of arena tours, I just caught The Cure twice in 3 days, where they played sold out venues of 22,500 and 18,000 respectively. They've been doing that every night on their tour. Some bands just pass the test of time, and what is the formula?

Sorry, but I don't think that Morrissey could do a sellout arena tour. Nor could the Misfits, but you're comparing apples and oranges. Sure, Moz could nail it in some of the bigger cities, LA, maybe SF, Maaaaybe NYC, but he always tours mid-size theaters, sells out most of them, with a couple of big shows at arenas bookending the tour. Unfortunately, he's squandered much of the goodwill that people had for him in the years since the Quarry comeback.

I didn't mean to imply that Morrissey plays nothing but mega-venues. But, if you look through the list for last year, it looks like he played 6 dates in 5,000-10,000 seat venues plus Madison Square Garden makes 7. And not just in California and NY, there is also Oregon, Michigan, Colorado and DC. No lineup of the Misfits could do that, unless maybe they got Elvis on tambourine. So, if he has been complaining about them getting their name first on the posters (which we don't actually know), then he's within reason as far as I can tell.

Glenn Danzig is one of the most approachable and agreeable people you'll ever meet. If anyone goes to watch the Misfits at Riot Fest and see Glenn there, make sure you walk up and talk to him. He'd really like that.

Make sure to look down or you might miss him. Words of wisdom and experience

Moz really should not do the festivals. He's often pissed off and that effects to the performance and the lenght of the performance and it's unfair to fans. Envy towards U2 getting the headlining spot of the day, meat smelling, festival promoter looking bored in the audience etc etc. Moz gets paid but we don't get money back. Moz concerts are much more enjoyable when he tours alone and are happy to be dictator of the event -> everyones happy, well concert organizer is not necessarily.

Moz really should not do the festivals. He's often pissed off and that effects to the performance and the lenght of the performance and it's unfair to fans. Envy towards U2 getting the headlining spot of the day, meat smelling, festival promoter looking bored in the audience etc etc. Moz gets paid but we don't get money back. Moz concerts are much more enjoyable when he tours alone and are happy to be dictator of the event -> everyones happy, well concert organizer is not necessarily.

You could always just choose to go and see him at his own concert and skip the festivals if you're concerned with getting your money's worth. It gotta also be a nice way to get people who wouldn't normally go to a show with just him to possibly check out the music and show

Moz only plays 5000 seater if they come equipped with the black curtian that can cover the hall being half empty. That way he can make pretend its sold out and his followers can come here and post that the venue was 'packed'.

I didn't mean to imply that Morrissey plays nothing but mega-venues. But, if you look through the list for last year, it looks like he played 6 dates in 5,000-10,000 seat venues plus Madison Square Garden makes 7. And not just in California and NY, there is also Oregon, Michigan, Colorado and DC. No lineup of the Misfits could do that, unless maybe they got Elvis on tambourine. So, if he has been complaining about them getting their name first on the posters (which we don't actually know), then he's within reason as far as I can tell.

I saw him in Oregon on his last tour, and the one before, and the one before. The last one was an outdoor venue that maybe held 3000. It was like a family picnic, which he even remarked upon. Out of 15 shows that I've seen, I don't think any of them were performed in venues above 6000 person capacity. The Misfits, if they were to do a festival circuit, could do really well. Otherwise, I think they could probably do shows in similar venues to Moz with similar results. The multi-generational appeal would definitely bring them numbers.

I saw him in Oregon on his last tour, and the one before, and the one before. The last one was an outdoor venue that maybe held 3000. It was like a family picnic, which he even remarked upon. Out of 15 shows that I've seen, I don't think any of them were performed in venues above 6000 person capacity. The Misfits, if they were to do a festival circuit, could do really well. Otherwise, I think they could probably do shows in similar venues to Moz with similar results. The multi-generational appeal would definitely bring them numbers.

Oregon on the last three tours? Well, if you will insist on going to gigs that no-one else knew ever happened, no wonder the audiences are small.

But seriously, so maybe you've never personally made it to one of Morrissey's bigger gigs. They do happen, though. Below you can see the audiences at Red Rocks CO and MSG last year (about 2 mins in). They both look at or near capacity, no black curtains that I can see, and their combined capacity is close to 30,000.

https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/h.../e35/1517032_873602102708389_1275308485_n.jpg

Oregon on the last three tours? Well, if you will insist on going to gigs that no-one else knew ever happened, no wonder the audiences are small.

But seriously, so maybe you've never personally made it to one of Morrissey's bigger gigs. They do happen, though. Below you can see the audiences at Red Rocks CO and MSG last year (about 2 mins in). They both look at or near capacity, no black curtains that I can see, and their combined capacity is close to 30,000.

https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/h.../e35/1517032_873602102708389_1275308485_n.jpg

I've traveled in the past to see him, but in recent years, based on the rarely shuffled setlist devoid of surprises and risky chance of him deciding to cancel, or do a phoned in, tossed off performance, I've decided that he isn't worth the investment of travel. Yes, he plays a few destination shows, and can fill them. But there's no denying that apart from a handful of the devout, his audiences are largely filled with casuals wanting to hear Suedehead and HSIN nowadays.

I've traveled in the past to see him, but in recent years, based on the rarely shuffled setlist devoid of surprises and risky chance of him deciding to cancel, or do a phoned in, tossed off performance, I've decided that he isn't worth the investment of travel. Yes, he plays a few destination shows, and can fill them. But there's no denying that apart from a handful of the devout, his audiences are largely filled with casuals wanting to hear Suedehead and HSIN nowadays.

You're shifting the goalposts. The point is that Morrissey does have a sizable audience in the states. Sizable enough that it's totally natural to query him being billed second to something like the Misfits. It may well be true that not everyone in his audiences has his name tattooed around their nipples, but that's not really the issue, and it doesn't make him very different from comparable artists.

Wonder if morrissey will be checking out any of the other riot fest acts. If so I wonder whom

You're shifting the goalposts. The point is that Morrissey does have a sizable audience in the states. Sizable enough that it's totally natural to query him being billed second to something like the Misfits. It may well be true that not everyone in his audiences has his name tattooed around their nipples, but that's not really the issue, and it doesn't make him very different from comparable artists.
I'm shifting nothing, really. It's another case of him being a diva, if anything. Does he deserve top billing in this case? I would say no. There's been a Morrissey tour at least every other year (roughly) for several decades. Not so with The Misfits. They are the shocker. What won't be a shocker, are the inevitable reports of Morrissey demanding a meat free set, people to not engage him backstage, etc etc. His shenanigans have detracted from the music.

I'm shifting nothing, really. It's another case of him being a diva, if anything. Does he deserve top billing in this case? I would say no. There's been a Morrissey tour at least every other year (roughly) for several decades. Not so with The Misfits. They are the shocker. What won't be a shocker, are the inevitable reports of Morrissey demanding a meat free set, people to not engage him backstage, etc etc. His shenanigans have detracted from the music.

And you think Danzig doesn't have diva behavior that's been overshadowing everything he's ever done. You clearly don't know much about the misfits Danzig or only. The reunion came out of a legal meeting and a lawsuit. Danzig is just as big a diva as anyone could ever accuse morrissey of being though his, danzigs, is usually about ego and not rooted in idealistic good causes. Yeah danzigs diva behavior sure hasn't distracted from them making music in 1985 when they last put out anything, they're a name built on drama and some good albums. Not great ones. People,will come to say they saw them and then forget about it. I like the misfits but that's the truth

And you think Danzig doesn't have diva behavior that's been overshadowing everything he's ever done. You clearly don't know much about the misfits Danzig or only. The reunion came out of a legal meeting and a lawsuit. Danzig is just as big a diva as anyone could ever accuse morrissey of being though his, danzigs, is usually about ego and not rooted in idealistic good causes. Yeah danzigs diva behavior sure hasn't distracted from them making music in 1985 when they last put out anything, they're a name built on drama and some good albums. Not great ones. People,will come to say they saw them and then forget about it. I like the misfits but that's the truth
Fair point there. Don't take Danzig's picture! I like the Misfits as well, but the only Danzig album of note is Lucifuge II, and only because it's so bayou-swamp-stomp at points. He's a cheesy one.

Also- only some of Moz's Diva routine is rooted in good causes. Demands for backstage areas to be clear of people. and spritzed with custom scents, and on and on are a little Mariah Carey for my sensibilities.

Fair point there. Don't take Danzig's picture! I like the Misfits as well, but the only Danzig album of note is Lucifuge II, and only because it's so bayou-swamp-stomp at points. He's a cheesy one.

Also- only some of Moz's Diva routine is rooted in good causes. Demands for backstage areas to be clear of people. and spritzed with custom scents, and on and on are a little Mariah Carey for my sensibilities.

Agree but a lot of them are. As to the misfits, they made some neat fun albums but mostly stood out from the hardcore pack by not being political in any even socially. That had a fun image that's more popular than any of there albums as the legal meeting was about merchant. Don't really care for his solo stuff but I admit that's an interesting one just for the reason you stated. He's to serious and cheesy for me personally but he's got his fan base I guess and Davy havoc sure owes him a lot I guess hair wise. He's more like don't take my picture or I'll assuT you though. I know everyone likes mother these days probably in part due to a certain video game but my fav is last caress

I am trying to plan my summer road trips ,and it would be much appreciated if maybe someone in Moz's inside circle or anyone with information on USA tour could post info on tour. TTY is silent so far. Much abliged. :highfive:

I am trying to plan my summer road trips ,and it would be much appreciated if maybe someone in Moz's inside circle or anyone with information on USA tour could post info on tour. TTY is silent so far. Much abliged. :highfive:

Well, seeing that Moz is is Israel on Aug 24, there won't be any summer shows in the US. Given RiotFest on Saturday 9/17, he is either going to do shows before or after that, or both. I would imagine they will be announced in a week or two, as they would then be within about 2 months of happening. So, it's time.

Sorry - not much help I suppose. Geographically speaking, it would make sense for him to start on the East Coast in early September and work his way towards Chicago. Although he probably can't play anywhere within a 200 mile radius of Chicago before or after RiotFest for a period of time, so who knows. Maybe he'll start up in Yuma.

Yeah it'd make sense to start east coast play Chicago and then play some dates around the west coast ending in Cali where he got a large fan base. Maybe he'll make up the Baltimore date

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom