TTY: Holly Woodlawn, RIP

A nice statement.

A couple of years ago, a friend of mine decided to write to Holly Woodlawn after seeing her appearance in a Cockettes documentary we watched as part of an LGBT Lit class. She wrote him a very lovely reply that now hangs in his room.

Godspeed, Holly.

RIP This is a beautiful picture

HollyWoodlawn.jpg

Holly Woodlawn, RIP - true-to-you.net
7 December 2015

"Holly came from Miami FLA
hitch-hiked her way across the USA
plucked her eyebrows on the way
shaved her legs and then he was a she ... "

Walk on the wild side, Lou Reed.

Life has kissed her eyelids closed.

Morrissey
Asuncion, Paraguay
7 December 2015

Last edited by a moderator:
Hooray ! Hooray !
The celebrity death files are back in vogue.

Benny-the-British-Butcher

what are they chanting? I thought it would be "Morrissey" but doesnt sound like that.

It has 'hints' of Mori - se- eY.....

Can we please stay on topic with the celebrity death files !
Thanks.

Benny-the-British-Butcher

Very sad. Shame Morrissey couldn't bring himself to pay the same respect to Joe Moss.

Very sad. Shame Morrissey couldn't bring himself to pay the same respect to Joe Moss.

Joe Moss had been in contact with Julie Hamill (according to her) and they wanted to talk but it sadly never happened. I think some people just know how to take Moz and some people don't. As simple as that.

What has Holly Woodlawn's death got to do with Morrissey? I'm tired of Morrissey stalking the graveyards of genuinely interesting and Radical historical figures, including Holly Woodlawn. His only reason for doing so seemingly being to publicise his own assumed taste for having them on his teenage hipster chic list. It's incredibly revealing that he constantly refers to trans-gressive imagery of the 60s and 70s when trying to scaffold his own claim to radical chic, endlessly droning on about the supposed shock and awe of the tepid New York Dolls, ignoring Jagger in Hyde Park/Bowie on the cover of Hunky Dory. Etc

YET! In an age when the rights of transgender persons is finally politically centre-stage - has Morrissey anything to say about transgender issues? He harks back to an era when there was a clear bifurcation between Conventional Society and 'Transgender As The Other' yet remains silent about the current crises engulfing transgender persons as, like Gays and Lesbians before them, they storm the barricades of 'Normal'. His disturbing nostalgia for battles fought and won by others in a bygone age stands in stark contrast to his silence about the here and now.

When Morrissey actually steps up to the microphone in Brazil and confronts his audience with the reality of their society, then I'll take his appropriation of transgender icons as respectful rather than exploitational. I'd like to honour Holly Woodlawn's death by smashing the smugfest of this thread. RIP to the numerous anonymous transgender victims of hate crime in Brazil who didn't end up at The Factory. f*** Morrissey and his nonsense about boycotting Canada because of their behaviour towards seals. Isn't it about time he boycotted Brazil?

best
BrummieBoy

Brazil: Targeting trans people with impunity

Life expectancy is estimated at age 30 - with the highest rate of violence against the trans community in the world.

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/fe...ng-trans-people-impunity-150413210248222.html

Last edited:

Joe Moss didn't merit mention as he was just an 'Ordinary Boy' and thus adds nothing to the stinking incense trail that is The Morrissey Altar Of Influences. Yet more ghoulish attempts at appropriating Radical Art figureheads by the Crank Fraud Morrissey. When Lou died Morrissey had an emotathon, wailing and sobbing as he tried to make Lou's death all about.....Morrissey. The same applies here with the clunky, laughable attempt at profundity that is "Life has kissed her eyelids closed". He must have had a few lines leftover from 'Lisp of the Lolz'. The lyrics from MAD1958 are apposite:

"They can't hurt you
Their style will never desert you
Because they're all safely dead"

Really, that lyric says it all. Ghoulish appropriate of the dead as 'style icons', not as remembered flesh and blood human beings. Whether Man Utd in his brief footie fan phase or Lou Reed and Holly Woodlawn, Morrissey's only interest in death seems to be how his image profits from it by association. He is indeed a Vile Troll.

best
BB

Joe Moss didn't merit mention as he was just an 'Ordinary Boy' and thus adds nothing to the stinking incense trail that is The Morrissey Altar Of Influences. Yet more ghoulish attempts at appropriating Radical Art figureheads by the Crank Fraud Morrissey. When Lou died Morrissey had an emotathon, wailing and sobbing as he tried to make Lou's death all about.....Morrissey. The same applies here with the clunky, laughable attempt at profundity that is "Life has kissed her eyelids closed". He must have had a few lines leftover from 'Lisp of the Lolz'. The lyrics from MAD1958 are apposite:

"They can't hurt you
Their style will never desert you
Because they're all safely dead"

Really, that lyric says it all. Ghoulish appropriate of the dead as 'style icons', not as remembered flesh and blood human beings. Whether Man Utd in his brief footie fan phase or Lou Reed and Holly Woodlawn, Morrissey's only interest in death seems to be how his image profits from it by association. He is indeed a Vile Troll.

best
BB

You got a point.

Come on, BB/BBB/BBBBBBB et al., it's just Morrissey's TTY equivalent of marking the passing of one of your icons by means of a tweet. Not something I would do since I don't like Twitter etc., but it's fairly common practice nonetheless for celebs and Joe Publics alike.

What I would like now is an automatic Moz-Solo ignore filter on these ghastly meme pictures, whether his nephew's or trawled from the Internet. They are not news and should I ever want to know about them (0.01% probability) I can always hop over there.

And, of course, RIP Holly. There's a funny segment in the Lou Reed documentary Rock and Roll Heart featuring her and Joe Dallessandro, think I'll give that another watch.

Last edited:
I reckon ya'll Morrissey could of given the same respect when the best Kickball player in the world James Best AKA Roscoe P. Coltrane died. Anonymous-

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom