TTY: SMITHS 45 - Morrissey involved in new Smiths 45 on Warner (Boy With The Thorn/Rubber Ring)

SMITHS 45 - true-to-you.net
29 November 2016

39450_screenshot_20161129_180942.jpg

Warner UK will release a previously unissued version of The Boy With The Thorn In His Side as a physical 45. The sleeve, above, is by Morrissey, with layout by Darren Evans at Warner UK. The B-side is a previously unissued version of Rubber Ring.
The sleeve image is Salford actor Albert Finney.
Details of availability of the record will follow shortly.

I hope that Warner will do the next Morrissey album then.

Related media:

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding Mike Joyce getting paid for this - did the Smiths demo's usually feature a drum machine?

Pleased to see that Moz is warming up to the idea of allowing further Smiths releases, whatever his reasons may be.

As for the artwork, I like the image he has chosen, but not so much the font and colour used for the titles. And I particularly dislike the fact that the song title features on the front cover, I would have preferred something truer to the design of the singles released in the 80s.

As for the version to be released, I believe it will be the studio outtake that was going to be included in the bonus CD for the aborted re-issue of TQID (track length 3:23).

Who do you "believe" It will be the version you said? Are you telling us you're in the know?

Great newz! The letter between 'a' and 'd' i broken on my keyboard, letter 'z' will have to do for now. Amazing if they releaed Moz album too!!

I reckon this "reissue" is part of the "secret" acoustic corporate gig tour that M&M Productions ltd is currently on. No cancels on this one. I heard that Steve got mad because there were no Costco Muffins after the 40 minute set at Warner and John got mad because Warner was supposed to have made a basketball court like the one in his backyard in Oregon for a shoot around after the gig, so Warner just released this sitting around in some backroom and will get 100% residuals from all the money the Brits will pay for this while they wait another 8 years for a concert.

Last edited:
Just reform already.....hey you never know.....Trump was elected.....Cubs won World Series....

Wonderful news!!! I am really excited for this! (and a part of me wonders if there will be more Smiths stuff in the future, but I won't hold my breath.)

It's an odd surprise for sure. Personally I don't understand the commercial appeal of this but I hope it leads to a new Morrissey album. Sure a new Smiths album would probably be the most commercial thing either of them could do. They could just leave Joyce out of it I suppose. My gut feeling this is the extant of it. A one off release.

A one-0ff 7" single isn't going to make Warners that much money to be worth bothering with, so unless that was literally all they could get Morrissey's permission for, I'd guess this is a lead off single to either a new compilation album of previously unreleased Smiths material from the vaults. That would be the obvious option.

For the single though - how about Morrissey & Marr holding a signing session together in London? So many thousands of fans would turn up, they might have a real chance of getting a Xmas number 1!

Just reform already.....hey you never know.....Trump was elected.....Cubs won World Series....
I like the way you think. Moz and Marr definitely had to have been in some form of contact for this, right? I am naturally optimistic, especially for a Smiths reunion, for no other reason than how pleasing it is to imagine...

Also, it's true, a one off 45 would not make much money for Warner. Surely there is more in store, whether it be Moz solo or Smiths... or both. Preferably Smiths, of course. Wonder if Moz will have anything to say about this in his December gigs??

For the single though - how about Morrissey & Marr holding a signing session together in London? So many thousands of fans would turn up

Well it ain't a proper xmasingle but if these are festive versions of the songs...But that single would have to really jingle.
And they 'd have to dress in proper elf attire. Even if it was August.
And not keep any of the profit.
That's a sleighful of ifs...

And I'd still want to see Santa Mike anyway. And Andy the reindeer.

Shame they couldn't be bothered to record a brand new one-off, for old times' sake. And if they can't be bothered now, will they, ever be bothered.

...I'm not sure I'll be around for the release of the Indonesian version of 'first of the rendang to die' next Christmas. Oh my.

It's nice and more than a little surreal to see brand new Smiths cover art designed by Morrissey.

Since Warner just recently shut down the original hipsterdisco/"Just the Smiths and Morrissey" YouTube channel, I wouldn't be surprised if these two "previously unreleased" tracks were uploaded there (or already floating around online elsewhere) but I hope I'm wrong. Smiths material new to my ears is a hell of an exciting prospect.

Like others, I'm wondering if this release is leading up to something more substantial. Not a reunion, but possibly a 30th anniversary edition of The Queen Is Dead as someone else speculated. "The Boy With the Thorn in His Side" b/w "Rubber Ring/Asleep" single did precede the album's original release.

It's nice and more than a little surreal to see brand new Smiths cover art designed by Morrissey.

Since Warner just recently shut down the original hipsterdisco/"Just the Smiths and Morrissey" YouTube channel, I wouldn't be surprised if these two "previously unreleased" tracks were uploaded there (or already floating around online elsewhere) but I hope I'm wrong. Smiths material new to my ears is a hell of an exciting prospect.

Like others, I'm wondering if this release is leading up to something more substantial. Not a reunion, but possibly a 30th anniversary edition of The Queen Is Dead as someone else speculated. "The Boy With the Thorn in His Side" b/w "Rubber Ring/Asleep" single did precede the album's original release.

They did? There was a ton of stuff from here on there. Hey ho.

I think this is probably likely

Very rare for me to post anywhere other that in the Collectors forum.

Just a few thoughts from me:

I would be very surprised if this was a release in time for Christmas. As far as I know, the release schedules are such that it would have been announced a fair time before now if that was the case. I think it is more likely to be an early new year release - at a time when new releases are few. Remember that with Morrissey still having an obsession with chart positions, there would be the greatest chance of a No.1 then.

Like many others who have commented so far, I also doubt that this will be a one-off release. Record Store Day isn't until mid April, so this 7" can't be connected to that.

I read somewhere a year or two back that major record labels generally like to put out "new product" (I use the term at its loosest) by their 'legacy artistes' around every five years. The 'Complete' editions were released in Autumn 2011 and the remastered albums followed in Spring 2012. Although 2017 is a little bit too late for a 30th anniversary edition of 'The Queen Is Dead', it is of course the 30th anniversary of The Smiths splitting up. That historical aspect is highly likely to have some significance.

Lastly, I would just add that we've been disappointed a few times over the years as far as "new" releases by The Smiths go. It is probably wise to keep our expectations fairly low at this stage....

I don't think the use of the word "unissued" rather than "unreleased" is accidental.
It'll have been floating around out there, amongst the better fans (for that is what they are) who have the money and/or connections to access such stuff.

That said, I'll still buy 3 or 4 copies...

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom