Vini Reilly needs cash!

I know lots of people who have same problem

What the f*** David, that guy asking for free Morrissey stuff, now this[verified if it's really true?]about Vini being broke

That Joke isn't funny anymore

Rock bottom is never fun. People will do desperate things. And if this isn't his idea to put a Paypal begging cup out there with his name on it, then he must be beyond humiliated.

Odd way to raise money . I agree with Mozbcuz on the scam idea. Like when I got a e -mail from a friend visiting London who got robbed and was now stranded . Wanted me to sent money to bank account . Very queer note so I finally got hold of my friend, asked if he was ok from all the trama . Response was "What the **** you talking about ? "
cool story that bro

I've just bought Sketch for Summer on iTunes. Being thinking about it for a while this prompted me to look for it. An utterly gorgeous achingly sad piece that Johnny Marr ripped off wholesale for The early smiths sound.

From https://twitter.com/DuruttiColumn

-----

UPDATE: re: helping Vini Reilly … No further donations required!

Firstly, a huge thank you once again to all of those who sent kind messages, ideas, and donations for Vini.

I’ve just spoken to Vini and told him how much has been donated by fans and music lovers worldwide – he’s ecstatic.

He’s said that enough has now been donated to ensure that he can pay off all of the backlog of rent that he owed, and he’s asked me to pass on his huge gratitude to you all and let you know that no further donations are required.

He’s explained that going forward he should be able to afford to pay his rent, but the debt relates to the period after he had his three strokes but before he was assessed for disability allowance.

It has been a stressful time for Vini, with the constant worry of knowing that he couldn’t afford to pay his debts and that could mean being evicted from the place he rents.

But he says he now feels like you’ve lifted the weight of the world off his shoulders.

He has asked me to send his love to all of you … You’ve given him the best start to his new year that anyone could have asked for.

And he’s determined to fight his way back to fitness and rebuild the power in his hands so he can play guitar again.

It’s going to be a hard road ahead for him, but you’ve all made his life a lot brighter.

Thank you all so much for helping my uncle.

All the best to you all for 2013.

Matt Reilly
@durutticolumn

-----

Great news. It isn't clear whether he raised the cash by lots of people giving small amounts (I sent him £10) or whether one or two individuals gave him enough to clear off his debts.

I have a few DC CDs, all bought from eBay, so Vini won't have benefitted from any of my purchases in the past, so happy to send a small amount to help. As Billy Bragg once sang 'It's a mighty long way down rock and roll from Top of the Pops to drawing the dole', it won't be easy for him to live off DLA, hopefully some of his rock and roll chums in Manchester will be able to sort something out to help him long term - whip around, benefit gig, co writing credits....

Dave

Also, it's not twelve hundred pounds' rent a month, that's the accumulated rent of the three months he spent out of work between having his strokes and being assessed for disability. So he's actually paying four hundred a month, which is damned reasonable for having to live in accessible Manchester housing.

Re: Vini Reilly needs cash

You’re right, of course… but whose fault is that? Durutti Column never really ‘hit the heights’ of fame in the first place, and they went down with the good ship Factory in the early 90s. That means Vini has essentially been doing nothing but sit on his arse in Didsbury for twenty years and live off whatever earnings he made in that period, supplemented by a bit of session work. What ordinary person would be afforded the luxury of doing that? And who would be lazy enough, given a place in the music industry, to rest on their laurels for so long and wait for the money to run out?

My comparison with Marr was misjudged because the Smiths reached a far greater audience and he could have comfortably retired on that alone – but God, even Andrew Ridgley isn’t begging on Facebook for rent money, and he’s probably the biggest also-ran in the industry.

Every review of Reilly I’ve come across has been confused and undecided about him; some called him a lazy chancer who happened to be in the right place at the right time for a few years, others said he wanted the work and never found the right audience. It’s sad to see anyone struggling to live, but he’s not a victim of anything other than his own laziness.

Assuming Amy.

I bet those swines cut his benefit now he has had this extra "income" and he'll be back to square one

Why do I keep having this image in my head of Mike Joyce slithering up to read this and kicking himself saying "Now, why didn't I think of this?"

Why do I keep having this image in my head of Mike Joyce slithering up to read this and kicking himself saying "Now, why didn't I think of this?"

I don't know - Mike Joyce has never been in a position approaching homelessness. Largely to the thanks of Morrissey/Marr.

Ummmm... Hmmm.

Take note Morrissey nephews!!!!!!! Why not take a leaf out of Vinny's clever nephew!!!!!! (Get the picture) I am.
Steven Morrissey needs lyrics/songs/reall band (who can play)

Glad to hear Vini's problem is solved now. Cheers!

Well this thread has certainly proved how ignorant, hateful and bitter many Morrissey fans are. Looking down and sneering at someone in dire economic conditions. And that someone has given the world some of the best music of the last 30 years. Morrissey and the Smiths have never even come close to the beauty and brilliance of albums like ‘Amigos Em Portugal’ and ‘Someone Else's Party’. In the fullness of time history will record the greatness of Vini Reilly and the The Durutti Column. And it will be recorded at Morrissey’s and The Smiths expense.

Last edited:
In the fullness of time history will record the greatness of Vini Reilly and the The Durutti Column. And it will be recorded at Morrissey’s and The Smiths expense.

Oooooh, that gave me shivers. Morrissey had better watch out.

this is a short comment on why my comment was a bit harsh

my dad died at 66 after his 3rd stoke,working from his 15, married at 32, and got 6 kids, I'm the oldest, and heir [end of the family line]
I al;ways worked in the summerbreaks, at age 12-17, fairs, gardens, and at me 15 ...3 years at factory where me dad worked.
we had to think about every penny we spended, me dad didn't study [at that time one had to pay, and me granddad had an accident so no money, work boy!]

to end it, in me father families we have lots of strokes, heart and vein problems, all me dad's sis and bro's are dead.

and just because Vini was a guitarist andsomeone who played on his first solo album and musician, and got a stroke, his bro begs/aks for cash for Vini

we never got it, I never got it

I'm sorry for Viny's situation but I've seen it daily

sorry and good to hear he's out of financial problems for now

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom