What a maneuver!: A WWF appreciation thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 1074
  • Start date
I didn't watch Wrestlemania but I've been checking out the clips I can find on YouTube and Firefly Funhouse match > Boneyard match.

Similar threads beneath this thread: 'Hey fellas, Saturn and Chris Benoit just signed to WWF!' - January 25th, 2000

Nope. Boneyard match was better because it was actually, you know, a match and not a really long Edge and Christian Show skit.

I liked some of the Boneyard match and I would have preferred if it was filmed like it was a real fight in the style of the Hollywood backlot portion of the Piper v Goldust match at Wrestlemania XII, instead of getting so cinematic.

I didn't like the close up shots of Undertaker while the druids were surrounding him, because then they move to a farther away camera shot and you see there's no cameraman standing beside him getting those close-ups, so how were the angles achieved? The camera angles have to make sense or else it takes me out of it; like the close up of Rock's face when Mankind was pinning him with the forklift during the empty arena brawl in '99, it just ends up looking stagy.

I didn't like the 'supernatural' elements with Undertaker lifting his arms and fire shoots up from the barn, or him suddenly appearing behind AJ for the same reason I hated the Matt Hardy teleportation stuff on AEW Dynamite a couple of weeks ago. Unless there's a good reason for him suddenly appearing behind AJ then I think they shouldn't do it, "he's the Deadman" isn't a good enough reason to me.

I can believe The Fiend dragging Cena into his world and causing all these flashbacks to happen against his will more than I can believe Undertaker having the ability to cause fire and teleport during what's supposed to be a real fight. I'm also not crazy about Undertaker burying a full time wrestler; a guy who'll be there week in week out for the next few years while Undertaker might not be seen again until Summerslam or Survivor Series. I didn't like AJ apologizing and begging not to be buried either; it might take a while to rehabilitate his image after that.

I have to give Cena credit for agreeing to have his career parodied and retconned during the Firefly segment and then getting dropped without getting any offence in; I'm not sure too many wrestlers with similar stature/star power, like Hulk Hogan, would have agreed to do it.

While parts of the Boneyard match bothered me they have created two new styles of match/segment in which they can involve guys who wouldn't be able or don't want to have a standard match in a ring anymore. Sting and Shawn Michaels could do the Boneyard match. Mick Foley could do the Funhouse as could Kurt Angle and Hogan if he'd agree to it and not try to nix a lot of the good stuff to protect his image. The next person I'd put in there would be Goldberg although in a real setting I'm not sure why anyone would agree to go to the Funhouse after what happened to Cena; it'd be a hard sell to convince someone to go there. The Fiend might have to steal something belonging to the person which they can only retrieve in the Funhouse. If it was the Attitude era he'd probably kidnap Goldberg's daughter and take her there.

Anyway, the Funhouse was one of the most creative segments I think WWE has done, while the Boneyard has a lot of potential if they treat it more like a real fight next time without the music (unless it's playing from an open car door), the unrealistic camera angles and the teleportation/special powers.

On second thought not much retconning was going on; it was a reimagining and a psychological dissection. Some of it was bizarre and some of it made sense -- the stuff that made the most sense to me was Cena missing Wyatt with the punch in the reimagining of his debut against Angle, and making him relive his past Wrestlemania match with Wyatt and missing him with the chair. I'm not sure of the purpose of the NWO and Saturday Night Main Event parts other than it being part of the mind games and creating confusion, but it looked good and was nostalgic so I had no big problem with it. But in terms of storytelling it might have been better if the whole segment focused on Cena's career instead of placing him in time periods in which he had no involvement. Enough mind games were going on already so it wasn't necessary.

I'm not sure of the purpose of the NWO and Saturday Night's Main Event parts

I read somewhere that it was about the parallels between Cena's career and Hogan's. That didn't come across in the jumpcut versions I watched on YouTube but the whole 'match' makes more sense to me now.

I liked some of the Boneyard match and I would have preferred if it was filmed like it was a real fight in the style of the Hollywood backlot portion of the Piper v Goldust match at Wrestlemania XII, instead of getting so cinematic.

I didn't like the close up shots of Undertaker while the druids were surrounding him, because then they move to a farther away camera shot and you see there's no cameraman standing beside him getting those close-ups, so how were the angles achieved? The camera angles have to make sense or else it takes me out of it; like the close up of Rock's face when Mankind was pinning him with the forklift during the empty arena brawl in '99, it just ends up looking stagy.

I didn't like the 'supernatural' elements with Undertaker lifting his arms and fire shoots up from the barn, or him suddenly appearing behind AJ for the same reason I hated the Matt Hardy teleportation stuff on AEW Dynamite a couple of weeks ago. Unless there's a good reason for him suddenly appearing behind AJ then I think they shouldn't do it, "he's the Deadman" isn't a good enough reason to me.

I can believe The Fiend dragging Cena into his world and causing all these flashbacks to happen against his will more than I can believe Undertaker having the ability to cause fire and teleport during what's supposed to be a real fight. I'm also not crazy about Undertaker burying a full time wrestler; a guy who'll be there week in week out for the next few years while Undertaker might not be seen again until Summerslam or Survivor Series. I didn't like AJ apologizing and begging not to be buried either; it might take a while to rehabilitate his image after that.

I have to give Cena credit for agreeing to have his career parodied and retconned during the Firefly segment and then getting dropped without getting any offence in; I'm not sure too many wrestlers with similar stature/star power, like Hulk Hogan, would have agreed to do it.

While parts of the Boneyard match bothered me they have created two new styles of match/segment in which they can involve guys who wouldn't be able or don't want to have a standard match in a ring anymore. Sting and Shawn Michaels could do the Boneyard match. Mick Foley could do the Funhouse as could Kurt Angle and Hogan if he'd agree to it and not try to nix a lot of the good stuff to protect his image. The next person I'd put in there would be Goldberg although in a real setting I'm not sure why anyone would agree to go to the Funhouse after what happened to Cena; it'd be a hard sell to convince someone to go there. The Fiend might have to steal something belonging to the person which they can only retrieve in the Funhouse. If it was the Attitude era he'd probably kidnap Goldberg's daughter and take her there.

Anyway, the Funhouse was one of the most creative segments I think WWE has done, while the Boneyard has a lot of potential if they treat it more like a real fight next time without the music (unless it's playing from an open car door), the unrealistic camera angles and the teleportation/special powers.

F3B0BDB1-2554-484C-8FA9-164076DAC048.gif

Lol at all the firings yesterday. Like, there is clearly some dead weight in the company but to fire Rusev and keep Lana is ???!

"Then here comes hatchet-headed f***in' Chuck Taylor with the goddamn sloppy body.."

Nobody cuts a better promo in 2020! Jericho's promos are a lot better than they were 15 or 20 years ago now that he's dropped all the "ayatollah of rock 'n' roll-ah", "would you please shut. the hell. up", "never ehhhh-ver" catchphrases from each one. (2008-era Jericho is still my favourite incarnation of Jericho, although I've been a fan of his since '99 and I'm glad to see him each week still performing at a reasonably high level -- that clusterf*** of a 10 man tag team match on AEW Dynamite this past week notwithstanding.)

"Silent Brian Mackney" mentioned in the promo:

What's with these homosexual comments I'm seeing under a lot of wrestling videos:

Dumont was GORGEOUS! I would love to have been pinned under him, only to have him insist to the referee to count to a humiliating 30 instead of 3!

1 year ago

Back
Top Bottom