What's a good "starter" cd for a teen?

• Thread starter Deleted member 4260
  • Start date
Beethoven Was Deaf. Live, rocking, great songs and it has Fatty on it! :)
towelie.gif
[/QUOTE]

yay Towlie!!!

What difference does it make? All the Smiths CDs are solid. Whichever one you get him, either he'll be open to giving it a whirl or he won't. He might not, ya know. I've occasionally gotten CDs from people wanting to turn me on to someone and I've mostly failed to take them out of the shrink wraps, instead scoffing at peoples trying to impose their tastes on me, then heading to the store to exchange it for whatever I'm into at the moment.

But if he respects your taste enough to be open, don't be a cheapie.

I'd go with:

"Meat is Murder" (or "The Queen Is Dead") + "Louder Than Bombs" + "Your Arsenal" (or "Vauxhall & I") + "My Early Burglary Years"

This way he has one of the best proper albums and the best compilations from both the Smiths and the solo era.

I'm one present short for my brother this Christmas and instead of going out to buy some piece of crap or a gift card, I want to buy him a Smiths cd.

He's turning 13 and that was the same age that I got introduced to them.
(It's best to start him out at a Smiths level, rather than straight to Moz solo, I think.)
I planned on getting "Hatful of Hollow" because that's what I got started on, but I'm willing to listen to other opinions. Maybe "Louder Than Bombs" because there's some rockers on there vs the melancholy of Hatful.

What cd do you think would sound good to a 13 year old angry and confused about his sexuality boy?

I have to order on Amazon.com by Friday to make sure I get it before Chritmas!....stressfull............:eek:

my god you was confused at 13 if at 17 you turned into a girl!!!!!

Because when you was a 13 year old boy it helped you being gay:confused:

Hahaha, at the age of seven or eight I started reading a contoversial comic called "Poems of the Wind and Trees" by Keiko Takemiya which is about a gay love story when we visited my aunt's whose children bought weekly comic mags. I didn't understand what's about, but didn't ask.
Another famous cartoonist Moto Hagio admitted that French film "Les Amities Particulieres" inspired her to create her masterpiece "The Heart of Thomas".
Growing up in 70s Japan where was full of double-standard made me to think it's OK to fall in love with a girl.
I didn't fall in love with a girl, but found special friendships which are still lasting today.

I wasn't sexually confused, but often found very hard to adopt myself to a conventional environment which refused to accept misfits like me.

Incidentally I bought an LP of Hatful of Hollow.
I couldn't afford to buy a stereo with a CD player until I was 21. :o

I would say go for Singles or The Very Best Of The Smiths.

Either will do as a one CD introduction to Mozzer.

If I was selecting for a slightly older person I might be inclined to pick an actual album. But for a young person probably one of the 'greatest hits' CD where the tracks hit you hard one after the other - I'd say either of those was the best.

Singles. :D Seriously though, look at that tracklist - you can't go far wrong with it.

I'd also look at The World Won't Listen. I think it hangs together better than Louder Than Bombs, and has classics like "Bigmouth", "Boy With The Thorn", "That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore" and "There Is A Light" on it, as well as some of the best tracks from Bombs.

For Morrissey, it has to be Bona Drag.

Viva hate. It's got all the angst, drama and emotion any teen would die for.

honestly, i'd say go with YATQ. it recent (and kids hate anything too old) but accessible, has some great tracks and was produced by the guy who does Blink 182. retards, er, 13 year old kids love the Blink.

he can then work his way back to The Smiths, if he so chooses, or catch up with the Solo stuff. you hafta think like a little brat, um, 13 year old kid. The Smiths are going to sound "old" and there's no way he's gonna like Viva Hate on the first listen

you must remember that 13 really isn't a "teenager" and they don't have any real angst or self loathing yet.

the best bet would be to burn a cd with the pitch shifted up about 6% so Moz sounds whiny. kids love whiny. oh, and steal a parental advisory sticker off an old Ice Cube CD

I'm thinking about getting him a moz solo cd now because it just dawned on me.....

What about Live at Earl's Court?

It's got all the songs on it that he MIGHT already know.."How Soon is Now".."There is a Light" PLUS he'll get to hear Moz's little shit storms between songs. (I just wish Please Please was on there. That's one song I'd really like him to hear.)

It's loud which is good and it's got more current stuff on it.

I should have started a poll...:)

Huh? *breathing through mouth*

That's what I call his little tirads between songs..shit storms...
My sister isn't a fan, but she sat through an entire car ride of Earls Court just to hear what he had to say.

It's nothing compared to what he says in concert, but it's something...

Get the kid a four pack of beers and a xxx DVD. He be the envy of the other boys.

I wish someone did this for me when I was 13! I had to steal the XXX dvd and have a homeless guy buy me a sixer. I let him keep the change from the tenner though, so he was stoked!

I'm thinking about getting him a moz solo cd now because it just dawned on me.....

What about Live at Earl's Court?

It's got all the songs on it that he MIGHT already know.."How Soon is Now".."There is a Light" PLUS he'll get to hear Moz's little shit storms between songs. (I just wish Please Please was on there. That's one song I'd really like him to hear.)

It's loud which is good and it's got more current stuff on it.

I should have started a poll...:)

Earls Court sucks compared to Beethoven.

Earls Court sucks compared to Beethoven.

I'm going to tell you a secret..I don't own Beethoven...why?
I never liked live cds. I prefer to listen to the studio versions.
The only reason I bought Earl's Court is because I heard "Last Night I Dreamt" on internet radio and was blown away.

So...When I decide what cd to get my brother I'm gonna throw in a copy of Beethoven Was Deaf for myself in the order. I've heard (read) it mentioned on this board so many times today that I gotta have a listen.
I see now that I am missing out.

I'm going to tell you a secret..I don't own Beethoven...why?
I never liked live cds. I prefer to listen to the studio versions.
The only reason I bought Earl's Court is because I heard "Last Night I Dreamt" on internet radio and was blown away.

So...When I decide what cd to get my brother I'm gonna throw in a copy of Beethoven Was Deaf for myself in the order. I've heard (read) it mentioned on this board so many times today that I gotta have a listen.
I see now that I am missing out.

I'll tell you a secret, too--I don't like live CDs either, and I think that Rank, Beethoven, and Earls Court all suck. But I like bootlegs. A lot.

I guess it's just different tastes. I like the energy of the live recording more than the perfection of the studio. Rank is in my top 3 Smiths and sometimes is my favorite.

I agree - it's an excellent bootleg!

....must say, Rank is a freaking masterpiece. That stomping Bigmouth intro kicks arse.

I guess it's just different tastes. I like the energy of the live recording more than the perfection of the studio. Rank is in my top 3 Smiths and sometimes is my favorite.

Really? I just feel like none of the official live albums has any energy, although I do prefer Rank's version of "Rusholme Ruffians" and "What She Said" / "Rubber Ring." Maybe I need to listen to it again.

Really? I just feel like none of the official live albums has any energy, although I do prefer Rank's version of "Rusholme Ruffians" and "What She Said" / "Rubber Ring." Maybe I need to listen to it again.

hmmm...I think you've hit the nail on the head, at least in regards to Live at Earls Court - zero energy. I never have the urge to listen to it.

I think Rank is the best in terms of official live releases.

Back
Top Bottom