What's Everyone Reading At The Moment?

I'm reading Some Kids I Taught and What They Taught Me by Kate Clanchy which is flawed but deeply human and charming at the same time.

For fear of sounding like Ms Lumpgrass, I’ve just finished Hollywood Gomorrah by Skip E. Lowe, the first two chapters were absolute filth. 🤢 🤮 I persevered till the end. Not saying anymore or I’ll be accused of being a homosapienphobe. Some of the gossip was interesting though. But, only if it’s true 🤔
He’s telling the troof. Absolutely, no doubt.

Just finished Brideshead Revisited.

Now reading Morrissey's Autobiography.

On my thirteenth reading of Valentin Tomberg's esoteric masterpiece Meditations on the Tarot. (Which sounds New Age, but isn't. It's the book that led me to convert to Catholicism. Without which, I never could have.)
Wow. I speed read and pleased I slowed down on this instance and read your full comment. I’ll read it.

The executioners song by Norman mailer. About gary gilmore. 1000 f***ing pages but an easy read. I know I'm gonna find it f***ing sad however.

Not sure I will now. Just looked it up.
Would like to ask what put you off?

And what drew you in the first place?

It is possible I could clarify in a way that would either confirm it's not worth your time or perhaps the reverse.

Love this novella by Tolstoy. He articulates everything that is related to the experience of the inevitability of death so well and accurately. From denial to acceptance. The difficulties to focus just on what is inevitable, eye to eye, without any sudden caesura that introduce distractions. And how the dying are in need of honesty, and not lies, to come to terms with death. The omniscient narrator is meticulously protocolling the slow decline of the dying protagonist, and his increasing awareness of the lies that dominated his life and disconnected him from his soul. The more he becomes aware of his life's irrelevance, the more he feels isolated. In a way it is a "coming of age" story told by a sensitive narrator who seems to be a little bit annoyed that it took the protagonist so long.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reading Jonathan Franzen's Crossroads. I wasn't able to read, or better, to concentrate on reading for awhile, so I am very surprised that this one has me on a bobsled run from the first page onwards, though it is not an action-driven novel. I would say it is the intricate language and observations that reach down into each character's soul, including their painful feelings, mostly of inadequacy, that I find interesting.
As far as I can see at the moment, it is about honesty and authority, and the lack thereof everywhere.

Tags
books wit no pitchers but not much more just fuck off literary ponces long live books more to life than books nerds n squares obscurer and obscurer shakespeare is smart
Back
Top Bottom