When did mainstream music start to go downhill?

"I'm objective so I my opinions are facts."
#Awesome
I downvoted maybe two of your painfully pretentious posts where you conflate your own subjectivity with a greater truth about mainstream music and your "generation" as a whole? You come off like an insufferable student, I'm just giving you a polite heads up.
:rolleyes:
WTF is this? Flik and Flak doing Fathers Knows Best? Like Comrade T would say "two berry pits in the pod":lbf:

🇭🇷>:hammer:

What is "mainstream music" and are you sure that whatever it is has gone downhill? As others said it's harder to get into music the same way you did as a teen, though it can happen. As far as "no iconic artists since the 80's that's not true. I got pretty sick of him but it would be hard to deny Kurt Cobain was iconic.
Staying iconic is more of a problem now. I think the career cycles move faster. One thing about the 80's is that all of these artsists started using multiple producers and attempting to do different genres so that they could have hit singles in different markets. Michael Jackson was the template but lots of people copied it. And a record might be out more than a year and still have new singles being released from it.
Now when someone releases a new record physical singles hardly exist and they might push a new song every week so that there are multiple singles competing at once. The record has to sell as much as it's going to sell almost immediately because the promotional push will be over soon.
There are also so many markets now that instead of watching MTV and waiting for something you like, you can just go online and find it and other songs like it. Instead of everyone hearing the most popular artists there are artists who are huge that are only know to those who listen to their genre. That K-Pop group that had fans buying wrappers from their specially branded McDonald's meals is kind of iconic to people that listen to that music but I don't even know their name. I think it's three letters?
:straightface:
STAYING ICONIC is a problem? Artists can un iconize???o_O
you dont know the name of the KPop group from McDonalds? They un iconized?:straightface:
can you iconize then un iconize then iconize again FC? Not making much sense TBH:hammer:

But I feel most of the best music now in mainstream is not coming out of America or the UK or Australia.I feel the best music now is going out of the Asian and Latin atmosphere same in Europe or even Africa recently. MOST of the music made in America just revolve around Murder Death Sex Politics and it keeps going round in that bubble.

The next best thing in music is now come out of Oslo not London or New York or LA.

I feel like most music genres had it's "heyday" between the 1950s-1980s. Like if you want the absolute pinnacle of rock music, 60s - mid 70s is your best friend for this, if you want the golden era of soul music 60s - 70s, golden era of pop, metal the 1980s, golden era of jazz the 50s and 60s, and many more genres I can mention.

The 90s and later doesn't have a defining golden era for a musical genre

I’d say bedroom pop shaving a nice moment. Trap music was huge

Yeah 90’s. But there are a few exceptions, all this subjective I guess.

Shouldn’t we be asking why?

Is it that culture/society can no longer produce as many weirdos with depth as it once did?
You are close, you hit on it. The truth is all those weirdos instead started following tribal internet trends, and are locked into hard political sociology agendas they picked up in those circles. They are rigid in their beliefs and instead of starting bands and curating their weirdness, individuality in an artform they have instead switched to streaming/youtube videos. Music does not have any cultural signifigance anymore as it once did.

I grew up music was important, musicians were important, the albums, the liner notes, the album artwork. Ask lots of younger generations about the musicians they listen to, they couldnt tell you a thing about them. They like "a little of everything".
They can prob tell you everything about PewDiePie or whatever streamer/thot/internet celebrity.

Its a cultural change that slowly slid into being.

You are close, you hit on it. The truth is all those weirdos instead started following tribal internet trends, and are locked into hard political sociology agendas they picked up in those circles. They are rigid in their beliefs and instead of starting bands and curating their weirdness, individuality in an artform they have instead switched to streaming/youtube videos. Music does not have any cultural signifigance anymore as it once did.

I grew up music was important, musicians were important, the albums, the liner notes, the album artwork. Ask lots of younger generations about the musicians they listen to, they couldnt tell you a thing about them. They like "a little of everything".
They can prob tell you everything about PewDiePie or whatever streamer/thot/internet celebrity.

Its a cultural change that slowly slid into being.

By the time your coming age... The 90s was happening music wasn't the main thing in youth culture. It was sub culture at this point. Other things mattered more, like gaming.

Anyone who's coming age were the 60s or 70s or even the 80s would remember when music was just "it" for us. We had American Bandstand, Soul Train, Top Of The Pops, Ed Sullivan show, Club MTV or the days when talk shows use to invite artists on the show, very little TV channels we had 3 channels max, no household PC's or no "internet boom" as well.

We use to get super excited to buy our vinyl records, we had larger than life stars such as Marvin Gaye, Aretha Franklin, Michael Jackson, David Bowie, Sly and The Family Stone, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Beatles, Queen etc.

Anyone who's 50+ would know since we're of a certain age... There's a reason why music between 60s-80s is still being played to this day and why they are being added into newer music such as "sampling" and that's been happening for god knows how long.

Name one great band that has came out of America or U.K. today in this era.

The young lot of today are not as fixated with getting together to make great music like it once was.

Today it is about Trap the solo artist‘s and bedroom cookie made music With nothing to say.

& teenage activists such as Greta Thunberg the so called woke gen z prophet of global doom.

Last edited:
By the time your coming age... The 90s was happening music wasn't the main thing in youth culture. It was sub culture at this point. Other things mattered more, like gaming.

Anyone who's coming age were the 60s or 70s or even the 80s would remember when music was just "it" for us. We had American Bandstand, Soul Train, Top Of The Pops, Ed Sullivan show, Club MTV or the days when talk shows use to invite artists on the show, very little TV channels we had 3 channels max, no household PC's or no "internet boom" as well.

We use to get super excited to buy our vinyl records, we had larger than life stars such as Marvin Gaye, Aretha Franklin, Michael Jackson, David Bowie, Sly and The Family Stone, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Beatles, Queen etc.

Anyone who's 50+ would know since we're of a certain age... There's a reason why music between 60s-80s is still being played to this day and why they are being added into newer music such as "sampling" and that's been happening for god knows how long.

a lot of that has to do with the audience though. People are more savvy and aren’t gonna consume music enmass and have that collective feeling again. If the bigness and mass movements are what you equate great music with then you’re probably not gonna get what you want

Back
Top Bottom