Which of Morrissey's musical heroes has he -not- covered yet?

So we've had, either recorded or performed live,

New York Dolls - "Trash", "Human Being", "Subway Train", etc.
Magazine - "A Song From Under the Floorboards"
Patti Smith - "Redondo Beach"
Timi Yuro - "Interlude"
Frank Sinatra - "My Way" (a capella at the 2004 MEN show)
Twinkle - "Golden Lights"
Cilla Black - "Work Is a Four-Letter Word"
Elvis Presley - "(Marie's the Name) His Latest Flame"
David Bowie - "Drive-In Saturday"
T. Rex - "Cosmic Dancer"
Roxy Music - "Street Life"
Buzzcocks - "You Say You Don't Love Me"

In the same vein, there's
Sandie Shaw - no outright covers, but he gave her 3 songs to sing and riffed on one of her titles with "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now"
Nancy Sinatra - gave her "Let Me Kiss You"

Two obvious ones that he hasn't done yet are The Ramones and Joni Mitchell. The Ramones, at least, should be easy to cover; Joni, not so much. Can you think of any others?

I think he should cover Buddy Holly, maybe "You're the one"

I believe on LASID it says he covered the Kinks' "Harry Rag" on one "Your Arsenal" tour date.

I don't think we will ever see him doing a Sinatra or Presley standard, unfortunately :(

I don't think we will ever see him doing a Sinatra or Presley standard, unfortunately :(

He's done snippets during the YOR tour. My list of his lyric references so far....

To Give (The Reason I Live) - Shirley Bassey (Richmond show)
Alfie - Cilla Black (Philadelphia)
Every Time We Say Goodbye - Cole Porter (Ann Arbor)
I Want You, I Need You, I Love You - Elvis (Chicago)
Swingin' On A Star - Sinatra (Houston)
It's Now or Never - Elvis (Coachella)

What have I missed?
I love his covers.

I'd like to hear him do a Sparks song .. just thinking which one
I imagine he could do a good Bon Voyage .. hmm maybe Here in Heaven, Happy Hunting Ground, How are you getting home? Complaints ... all of those I think he could do without the Russell Mael falsetto

I imagine he could do a good Bon Voyage .. hmm maybe Here in Heaven, Happy Hunting Ground, How are you getting home? Complaints ... all of those I think he could do without the Russell Mael falsetto

How about Lighten Up, Morrissey? :p

This is so weird - I was just thinking yesterday about how Moz had never done a Sparks song - I could hear him doing Thank God It's Not Christmas and definitely How Are You Getting Home! x

This is so weird - I was just thinking yesterday about how Moz had never done a Sparks song - I could hear him doing Thank God It's Not Christmas and definitely How Are You Getting Home! x

"Suburban Homeboy" would be WIN :lbf:

I could see him doing "Falling In Love With Myself Again", though.

He's done snippets during the YOR tour. My list of his lyric references so far....

To Give (The Reason I Live) - Shirley Bassey (Richmond show)
Alfie - Cilla Black (Philadelphia)
Every Time We Say Goodbye - Cole Porter (Ann Arbor)
I Want You, I Need You, I Love You - Elvis (Chicago)
Swingin' On A Star - Sinatra (Houston)
It's Now or Never - Elvis (Coachella)

What have I missed?
I love his covers.

Yes, these are lyric references, but what I'm saying is that I can't see him doing a full-out cover, even recording it as a B-side, because his current fetish is to be remembered as a punk legend :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I believe on LASID it says he covered the Kinks' "Harry Rag" on one "Your Arsenal" tour date.

Not true.

One hero Morrissey has never covered and probably never will is Klaus Nomi. Because most of his catalogue is already covers, and also because I don't think he could do the songs justice vocally. I know he doesn't have to sing the songs the way Nomi did, but most of the appeal of Nomi's compositions are their delivery.

Stephane

Angelic Upstarts
Cockney Rejects

So we've had, either recorded or performed live,

New York Dolls - "Trash", "Human Being", "Subway Train", etc.
Magazine - "A Song From Under the Floorboards"
Patti Smith - "Redondo Beach"
Timi Yuro - "Interlude"
Frank Sinatra - "My Way" (a capella at the 2004 MEN show)
Twinkle - "Golden Lights"
Cilla Black - "Work Is a Four-Letter Word"
Elvis Presley - "(Marie's the Name) His Latest Flame"
David Bowie - "Drive-In Saturday"
T. Rex - "Cosmic Dancer"
Roxy Music - "Street Life"
Buzzcocks - "You Say You Don't Love Me"

In the same vein, there's
Sandie Shaw - no outright covers, but he gave her 3 songs to sing and riffed on one of her titles with "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now"
Nancy Sinatra - gave her "Let Me Kiss You"

Two obvious ones that he hasn't done yet are The Ramones and Joni Mitchell. The Ramones, at least, should be easy to cover; Joni, not so much. Can you think of any others?

You missed East West - Herman and the Hermits

He should do a cover of a Fall song, considering he was a fan of Mark E Smith's long before he found fame himself with The Smiths.

Perhaps something like "Dresden Dolls" would be good for Mozza to sing, considering he only ever likes to do covers of songs that he enjoyed in his own youth. "Drive-in Saturday" is his favourite Bowie song, so I wonder what his favourite track by The Fall is?

Back
Top Bottom