Which record label should release "Bonfire Of Teenagers"?

Self-funded, digital, small imprint etc are options, but that really doesn't fit with the last few decades worth of releases.
Considering some of the people involved with the album, I'm surprised nobody has found a solution, but (as with a lot of things) this may just be Morrissey being obstinate more than anything else!?
Regards,
FWD.

Perhaps I'm being totally naive here... but maybe there's a scenario where he puts BOT on streaming services like Spotify, and optionally makes the digital files available to buy/download for $5-$10. So now the music is out there being heard and we didn't lose years waiting - great, mission accomplished. Perhaps mid-2022 or so he tours. Maybe based on the streaming numbers, tickets sales, etc. it's enough to generate interest and a record deal is forthcoming for the material post BOT?

While all of the above seems possible, as @Famous when dead pointed out, based on past experience he'll wait it out for years if necessary until there's a deal. Totally his call... but it just seems like such a waste especially at this later phase of his career.

Last edited:
I worry that (as others have mentioned on this thread and elsewhere), it could be the title track that's the obstacle here. Obviously he's written about controversial topics since the first Smiths album but given his comments about the Manchester bombing I can't see the lyrics to any song about it being anything except provocative and likely to cause (rightly or wrongly) all manner of bad press. And as the title track, it would be inescapable.

If he had an album of lyrics like "Once I Saw the River Clean" on the other hand, I could imagine a few labels taking a punt on that...

I agree with you. The title is completely insensitive to the victims of the Manchester bombing. Who in their right minds would release that?

I agree with you. The title is completely insensitive to the victims of the Manchester bombing. Who in their right minds would release that?
Yeah, kind of like when he thought rereleasing "Paris" after the attacks there was a good idea... was he at least offering to donate proceeds to a victim's fund or anything like that?

Yeah, kind of like when he thought rereleasing "Paris" after the attacks there was a good idea... was he at least offering to donate proceeds to a victim's fund or anything like that?
I believe this tilt-at-the-windmills ended after the following:

In a nutshell, the order of events was:

1. Morrissey publicly claimed Universal refused to rerelease "Paris."
2. Universal denied refusing to rerelease it.
3. Morrissey refuted Universal's denial.
4. Morrissey/TTY posted both a letter to Universal (which, given the language/aggrieved tone, is almost certainly Morrissey's words with Boz's signature - see similar language in the leaked e-mail decrying his perception of Sanctuary's publicity efforts for "The Youngest Was The Most Loved"/RotT) as well as the apparent letter in response from Universal.

In the final reply from Universal, it was said: Universal would licence the song back for eg a release for proceeds to relevant charities (which I assume would be the plan). There seems to have been no response back from the Morrissey camp - at least none publicly. It would appear that Universal was angling in the direction of a charitable release. Based on the news archive, this seems to be the only time during the incident that such a purpose for the re-release was mentioned - unless it was done so in conversation outside the public record.

Tl; dr - if Morrissey ever offered to donate proceeds to Bataclan victims/families, it has never been confirmed publicly.

Last edited:
I believe this tilt-at-the-windmills ended after the following:

In a nutshell, the order of events was:

1. Morrissey publicly claimed Universal refused to rerelease "Paris."
2. Universal denied refusing to rerelease it.
3. Morrissey refuted Universal's denial.
4. Morrissey/TTY posted both a letter to Universal (which, given the language/aggrieved tone, is almost certainly Morrissey's words with Boz's signature - see similar language in the leaked e-mail decrying his perception of Sanctuary's publicity efforts for "The Youngest Was The Most Loved"/RotT) as well as the apparent letter in response from Universal.

In the final reply from Universal, it was said: Universal would licence the song back for eg a release for proceeds to relevant charities (which I assume would be the plan). There seems to have been no response back from the Morrissey camp - at least none publicly. It would appear that Universal was angling in the direction of a charitable release. Based on the news archive, this seems to be the only time during the incident that such a purpose for the re-release was mentioned - unless it was done so in conversation outside the public record.

Tl; dr - if he offered to donate proceeds, it has never been confirmed publicly.
Thanks for clarifying... couldn't quite remember all the details...

Although it has been discussed many times before here, I think sitting on an album waiting for the "right label" is actually working against Morrissey. I fully understand how he's proud and thinks it's one of his best - musicians usually think their latest stuff is the closest to them, and it's totally understandable. However, even with a big label it's not guaranteed his music will reach more people/will sell, as his latest album proves it. BMG, big label, still basically zero promotion. So, as time is against him now, he should just release it, "let it out of his system" and go on the next project. If it1s any good, radios WILL play it, fans WILL buy it.
However it's his decision of course.
I don't think most radio stations are physically capable of playing good music because most DJs haven't a clue about music, won't touch anyone even mildly controversial, can't handle a song with lyrics that are not "i love you", and assume listeners are the same.

Radio presenters like John Peel catered for the intelligent or artistically astute portion of the audience. Radio stations now cater only to the rock bottom swamp amoeba. People don't want to have to think. I can't even turn on the radio these days.

Last edited:
I don't think most radio stations are physically capable of playing good music because most DJs haven't a clue about music, won't touch anyone even mildly controversial, can't handle a song with lyrics that are not "i love you", and assume listeners are the same.

Radio presenters like John Peel catered for the intelligent or artistly astute portion of the audience.

Radio stations now cater only to the rock bottom swamp amoeba. People don't want to have to think. I can't even turn on the radio these days.

Dude, that’s why Marr is doing so well, getting a lot of airplay, you’re missing out!

:lbf:;)

Last edited:
I think that Morrissey has changed labels far too many times. It is best to stick to one long term. I'd suggest that he tries returning to Parlephone/HMV for whom he recorded his early solo albums. However given the controversy over some of his recent interview comments, he may be finding it difficult to get signed. The alternative option is to form his own label but I'd imagine that is an extreme hassle. So going with a smaller label may be the way forward, such as Park Records, who release old folk acts and would be desperate for someone with a bit more appeal.

Does anyone know if BMG had a chance to hear any of BOT or was it all recorded after he was dropped?

Does anyone know if BMG had a chance to hear any of BOT or was it all recorded after he was dropped?
Morrissey's "galvanic horror" = Nov. 16, 2020
Chad Smith's "just finished a Morrissey album" = Feb. 20, 2021
So possibly not?
FWD.

SONY MUSIC ENTERTAINMENT.
Just to see how many months it is before someone on the board discovers he doesnt tick most of the 20's virtue boxes, then tips of the 'music press' to his many, horrid, dastardly misdemeanors.

It kills me that I cant listen to Rebels Without Applause, I really wanted to know how that turned out.

I could really use this album right now. But I’ll settle for one song also.

If I were Morrissey I'd just release it however possible just to thank the fans that have stood by him, rather than waiting years and years for a big label to sign him up.

I know he‘s old school but you can still make self releasing a success, Sleeper did this with Modern Age (produced by Stephen Street) and it got to number 18 the charts.

In the summer of 2018, Sleeper, announced that they were recording a new album in collaboration with their old producer Stephen Street for release in early 2019 and that this would be accompanied by another headline UK tour.Lead single "Look at You Now" premiered on BBC Radio 6 Music on 4 December 2018

I know he‘s old school but you can still make self releasing a success, Sleeper did this with Modern Age (produced by Stephen Street) and it got to number 18 the charts.

In the summer of 2018, Sleeper, announced that they were recording a new album in collaboration with their old producer Stephen Street for release in early 2019 and that this would be accompanied by another headline UK tour.Lead single "Look at You Now" premiered on BBC Radio 6 Music on 4 December 2018
My fear is that it is simply "all or nothing" with him and we might have to wait until he's dead to hear it.

If Morrissey is so poisonous as you think and say, then how in hell did he recently acquire the services of Quest Artist Management? Do you really think they would take on and promote the work of a ‘bigot’ as you enjoy calling him ?
Solo Gatekeeper:
Morrissey is Hitler with a quiff (and I now fear he wanted a jock arena bouncer to kill me circa 1991) Kill Uncle... Yo Man?
Proof;
Hold On To Your Friends -
Lifeguard Sleeping, Moderator Drowning!
Certain mods I KNOW!!
If its the last thing he ever does, he's gonna get me!!!
The uncle who must be tiddled to death.
Death of a moderator!!!!
And one time he said, in a sinister, eerie, right-wing tone;
People have been saying it for years, what did skinny expect??!!!!!
Morrissey.jpg

Should I go on???

I wonder if Moz is going to wait until he has another album recorded with Alain in the can? That way he can sign a 2-album deal, knowing he has both in the bank. Actually, thinking about it, it's probably a good idea to start stockpiling material now whilst he's still in good voice - at 62 years old eventually those pipes are going to start to decline. Who know how many years he has left?

Back
Top Bottom