Why do I have to listen to most of Morissey's songs several times before I like them?

Davey Boy

Davey Boy
I just listened to Walkabout World and I was really hoping for something interesting. Something that would just catch me, but no! This brought to mind how many times over the last couple of decades I have had the same experience. Why can't the "first listen" of a Morrissey song be a grand experience? Think back the last seven or eight albums. How many songs did you not care for the first few times you listened, and now you love?

I just listened to Walkabout World and I was really hoping for something interesting. Something that would just catch me, but no! This brought to mind how many times over the last couple of decades I have had the same experience. Why can't the "first listen" of a Morrissey song be a grand experience? Think back the last seven or eight albums. How many songs did you not care for the first few times you listened, and now you love?

is that the Aussie version ?

I think the last song I was really excited about upon first listen was "World Peace." But I think part of that was because it was a different, fuller sound than the tracks on "Refusal."

"Bobby"'s not bad, as a whole. As far as lead tracks go, I like it more than I liked "Spent the Day in Bed" on first listen.

I need to clarify that at the conclusion of the post, I meant to say there are many Morrissey songs that I didn't care for upon first listen but now, somehow, I really like them (e.g., Let me Kiss You, Life is a Pigsty, The Youngest was the most Loved).

I think the last song I was really excited about upon first listen was "World Peace." But I think part of that was because it was a different, fuller sound than the tracks on "Refusal."

"Bobby"'s not bad, as a whole. As far as lead tracks go, I like it more than I liked "Spent the Day in Bed" on first listen.

I like you mcrickson. I always have.

I find that with a lot of songs by various artists. Some songs are growers and some I can make a verdict on after 1 or 2 listens and that view doesn’t change. Take a song like ‘Bobby’ for example. I like it but It’s probably my least of the 3. But there’s so much going on in that song that it took me 3/4 listens just to process it, before I could decide how I felt about it.

As you get older with an artist your expectations of them get tougher maybe more complex. I’m a really big suede fan and everything they put out I tend to scrutinize so hard that it would be hard for me to enjoy it on first listen. I tend to like it much more when I relax and just let it hit and grow on it’s own which is harder to do the more I love something. My standards were like everyone’s though, probably not as good then when I was young and in my twenties than they are now with more experience. That said I’ve liked many songs on first listen still such as I’m not a man or I wish you lonely etc

probably the songs need to get to know you first.
i dont think morrisseys songs are whores that f*** you straightaway only bc you paid for them.

probably the songs need to get to know you first.
i dont think morrisseys songs are whores that f*** you straightaway only bc you paid for them.
and let me add, maybe you SHOULD pay for them for a change.

As you get older with an artist your expectations of them get tougher maybe more complex. I’m a really big suede fan and everything they put out I tend to scrutinize so hard that it would be hard for me to enjoy it on first listen. I tend to like it much more when I relax and just let it hit and grow on it’s own which is harder to do the more I love something. My standards were like everyone’s though, probably not as good then when I was young and in my twenties than they are now with more experience. That said I’ve liked many songs on first listen still such as I’m not a man or I wish you lonely etc
Thank you, well said!

Most of the songs needs some several listens before we like it,because they are good songs.I you love a song at first listen ,then it becomes boring to listen.

Most of the posts needs some several readings before we like it,because they are good posts.I you love a post at first read ,then it becomes boring to read.

Maybe it's because you're forcing yourself. You can like anything with training.

Back
Top Bottom