Why is Margaret Thatcher disliked?

Wasn't Churchill a supporter of eugenics?

back in the day, everybody was, if he was, i dont know
but on June 4th 1940 he gave the greatest war speech:

"I have, myself, full confidence that if all do their duty, if nothing is neglected, and if the best arrangements are made, as they are being made, we shall prove ourselves once again able to defend our Island home, to ride out the storm of war, and to outlive the menace of tyranny, if necessary for years, if necessary alone.

At any rate, that is what we are going to try to do. That is the resolve of His Majesty's Government-every man of them. That is the will of Parliament and the nation.

The British Empire and the French Republic, linked together in their cause and in their need, will defend to the death their native soil, aiding each other like good comrades to the utmost of their strength.

Even though large tracts of Europe and many old and famous States have fallen or may fall into the grip of the Gestapo and all the odious apparatus of Nazi rule, we shall not flag or fail.

We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in France,
we shall fight on the seas and oceans,
we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be,
we shall fight on the beaches,
we shall fight on the landing grounds,
we shall fight in the fields and in the streets,
we shall fight in the hills;
we shall never surrender, and even if, which I do not for a moment believe, this Island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our Empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the British Fleet, would carry on the struggle, until, in God's good time, the New World, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the old."

ever :)

read it in a history book and in some song, she let some irish men in a hunger strike die, that's quite far from what i would call human

As I said before, Churchill's oratory skills does not negate that he was an imperialist and a dyed-in-the-wool Tory. Unlike other Tories at the time, who wanted to capitulate to Hitler, Churchill wanted to fight the Nazis. But this was not because a great love of democracy and liberalism by Churchill, it was for the protection of the British Empire. (That is not to say that the British shouldn't have fought the Nazis, but it is important to recognise that WWII was fought for a myriad of reasons and not just some inherent anti-fascist cause.) Churchill was a 'hero', but at the same time stood for the failures of traditional Conservative capitalism - unemployment, no welfare, the Great Depression, etc. That's why the British people voted overwhelmingly for Labour in 1945.

she let some irish men in a hunger strike die, that's quite far from what i would call human

they were exercising free will, it was their choice to kill themselves. it's just a shame many more hadn't made the same choice. there are many valid reasons to dislike margaret thatcher, but that really isn't one of them. (incidentally, they weren't irish, they were british.)

Moonbeam
Me and the beast will be sat next to each other at Anfield in a few weeks time......
Just hope I can keep quiet when SWP bangs the winner in front of the Kop with a minute to go;):guitar::guitar:

Jukebox Jury

In your dreams sunshine. As if the bitters would help out United. :crazy:

I'm not bothered about Thatcher it's the dickheads who voted her in three times I can't stand.

They prolly voted her in because they were sick and tired of the plethora of electrical power cuts due to the ineptitude of the Labour party under James Callaghan. Not to mention the size of the dole queues she inherited as well.

Not to mention the size of the dole queues she inherited as well.

Which she then made immensely bigger.

RICK: What're you doing standing outside my bedroom then, Mike?!

MIKE: There's only the floor to sit on, Rick.

RICK: Oh, ha ha, very funny. I suppose you think it's very clever to laugh with three million people on the dole!

MIKE: Yeah.

Tags
better than blair better than brown mad tory poll tax = evil quite quite beastly sun reading twat thatcher = cunt thatcher = dried up twat worse than major
Back
Top Bottom