Why the hell are any of us still here?

Just curious. Why do we who still post here still post here?

As for me I still love Morrissey as much as I did when I discovered him 30 years ago. I still enjoy engaging in lighthearted and/or serious discussion about his career -past and present- with likeminded folk. And I still enjoy sharing compilations and downloading cool shit that is shared by the actual fans among us.

I don't get much out of trolling or being trolled anymore...nowhere near as much fun as it used to be plus almost everyone else here sucks at it now. When the best character is Brummie Boy, and then you scroll through the archives at the ones who went before, you realize this is like Joe DeRita-era 3 Stooges...

Sad.

Anyway what about the rest of you...why do you come here and why do you hang around?

I'm new here... talk about being late to the party and lamely hanging out in the corner in shame. But I honestly read more than I will likely ever post — any question I have about a lyric or an album or a photo or a hair on his head has already been asked or written about at some point in the storied history of this site.

And it's interesting to me to see these types of discussions still happening (both positive and negative, serious and silly). I have no one else in my life who loves Morrissey or his music or knows anything about him beyond the usual hot-take headlines — it gets lonely down here at the bottom!

Plus, maybe one day there will be some exciting news (the release of Bonfire, a new tour, etc.) and it would be great to be a part of it.

Last edited:
I'm new here... talk about being late to the party and lamely hanging out in the corner. lol But, to answer the question, I was a casual fan of Morrissey since the 90s, got more into The Smiths a few years ago, but honestly avoided getting too close to any of it because of the "stigma" hanging around M as a human being. But, with Covid restrictions and fears, I was desperate AF to find some sort of new passion or outlet or ANYTHING to distract my brain from reality. So, I started really listening to The Smiths and REALLY listening to M's solo work and I fell completely in obsessive-to-an-unhealthy-level love with all of it.

Also, I want to clarify that I'm 100% a"woke," "loony left" American. My liberal friends all espouse the usual "The Smiths are great! Johnny Marr is a saint! Morrissey is a total c***!" bullshit. When I post about M, most of them completely ignore me, because they don't want to start a fight (although I secretly wish they would so I could take them all down).

So, I'm here because it's interesting for me to see these types of discussions happening. I have no one else in my life who listens to Morrissey; no one wants to hear my thoughts about him; no one gives a crap that I've listened to Trouble Loves Me ~250 times since August 31 of this year. I've also not participated in any sort of message board in more than a decade! There's a strange nostalgia in it that feels comforting in troubling times. So, all this to say, hiiii everyone. 👋
🙄
Ok Rifkie

As for me I still love Morrissey as much as I did when I discovered him 30 years ago. I still enjoy engaging in lighthearted and/or serious discussion about his career -past and present- with likeminded folk. And I still enjoy sharing compilations and downloading cool shit that is shared by the actual fans among us.

I don't get much out of trolling or being trolled anymore...nowhere near as much fun as it used to be plus almost everyone else here sucks at it now. When the best character is Brummie Boy, and then you scroll through the archives at the ones who went before, you realize this is like Joe DeRita-era 3 Stooges...

Sad.

Anyway what about the rest of you...why do you come here and why do you hang around?
Only 30 years? Noob!

Sad.

I love Morrissey and the Smiths!! I'm a new fan (as of August) his music and their music has engulfed my life since then. Fully!! The music is great. I'm not into the trolling or anything like that. I love Morrissey and I love learning new things about him. Still working on his discography. :)

Another new fan as from August. Just missed out on most new music from 1983, I now know I liked a few Smiths songs but wouldn't have been able to tell you who sang them. One Thursday night in August I found Morrissey's version of Back on the Chain Gang and as well as loving that version I was intrigued by this person who seemed to accept himself at his true age, with no effort to look younger. So I listened to more of his music, read the autobiography and became fascinated. Then I discovered the world of Morrissey and the fandom and became even more fascinated. Just hoping I can see him in concert sometime.

New fans are in for a treat. Morrissey's music doesn't just offer a great listen it opens up a whole new world of art and intrigue.

I love Morrissey and the Smiths!! I'm a new fan (as of August) his music and their music has engulfed my life since then. Fully!! The music is great. I'm not into the trolling or anything like that. I love Morrissey and I love learning new things about him. Still working on his discography. :)
Here’s some slightly less famous but brilliant solo songs to listen to if you haven’t yet already:

- Sunny
- Jack The Ripper
- Sister I’m A Poet
- Have A Go Merchant
- Life Is A Pigsty
- Lifeguard On Duty
- Istanbul
- I Am Hated For Loving
- My Love Life
- I Thought You Were Dead
- That’s Entertainment
- Southpaw

Here’s some slightly less famous but brilliant solo songs to listen to if you haven’t yet already:

- Sunny
- Jack The Ripper
- Sister I’m A Poet
- Have A Go Merchant
- Life Is A Pigsty
- Lifeguard On Duty
- Istanbul
- I Am Hated For Loving
- My Love Life
- I Thought You Were Dead
- That’s Entertainment
- Southpaw
Only a few from this list I haven't heard yet. I love all of Viva Hate, Bona Drag, Kill Uncle. (Bona Drag has a special place in my heart.) ❤️

In this order:

1. News and info about all things Morrissey.
2. Entertainment value - sharing experiences, views, comments, debate, discussion, humour, taking the piss etc.
3. Winding up Malarkey.

2 and 3 are of course related.

This is in the real universe. In the alternative reality of Malarkey I am here as part of the homophobic far right conspiracy, involving SER and The Evil Tour Manager. We meet regulary on Zoom. Anyone who wants to join the conspiracy should email: [email protected]

In this order:

1. News and info about all things Morrissey.
2. Entertainment value - sharing experiences, views, comments, debate, discussion, humour, taking the piss etc.
3. Winding up Malarkey.

2 and 3 are of course related.

This is in the real universe. In the alternative reality of Malarkey I am here as part of the homophobic far right conspiracy, involving SER and The Evil Tour Manager. We meet regulary on Zoom. Anyone who wants to join the conspiracy should email: [email protected]

You're so vain, I bet you think this post is about you....

I come here because Morrissey's Website is so terrible as opposed to say Paul McCartney's site (as an example). If there is anything I want to know about Paul, his Website is for sure the definitive guide I need look nowhere else. Also, Paul has a message board. Even Johnny Marr's Website is half decent. For example, you can buy merch directly from his site, listen to all his records, find all his tour dates right on the home page, watch videos, and even sign up for a newsletter (if you so desire). But, if you want up-to-date content about Morrissey this is for sure the place, but mostly because Morrissey has left open the void that Morrissey-Solo has always filled and continues to fill to this date.

Why the hell are any of us still here?​

I'm just waiting for my new colouring book and crayons to turn up, then I'm off.

Back
Top Bottom