"World Peace..." #19 in Les Inrocks top 100 albums of 2014

Morran sends the link:

Top 100 : les meilleurs albums de l’année 2014 - Les Inrocks

19 Morrissey - World Peace Is None of Your Business

Sur la pochette de son dixième album, Morrissey semble en grande conversation avec un chien. L’air un peu désolé, le chanteur est probablement en train d’expliquer à la pauvre bête qu’elle devra s’astreindre pendant sept longues semaines à un régime strict de croquettes végétariennes. Ceci n’est pas une blague. Le chien – une chienne en l’occurrence, baptisée Paula – appartient à Maxime Le Guil, jeune ingénieur du son français qui tenait la console pour l’enregistrement de “World Peace Is None of Your Business”. Lire la chronique

An anonymous person also posted:

The French magazine Les Inrockuptibles ranked WPINOYB at number 19 out of the 100 best albums of 2014, which is very good going - they consider it to be one of his best albums.
They added a little anecdote, saying the dog on the cover is called Paula and her owner is a young sound engineer who worked on the album.

Best albums of Moz's solo career: (1) Vauxhall & I, (2) Your Arsenal, (3) Viva Hate, (4) World Peace, (5) Southpaw Grammar. For me Quarry doesn't even make the top 5 despite some great singles. World Peace is definitely an album of which he should be very proud and bodes well for his next.

I see the Queen got the number three slot on Christmas Day

Christmas Day top 10
Still from Mrs Brown Boy's showing Cathy Brown (Jennifer Gibney) and Agnes Brown (Brendan O'Carroll)
Mrs Brown's Boys was the single most watched programme for a second year in a row
The Queen (BBC One and ITV) - 7.82 million
Mrs Brown's Boys Christmas Special (BBC One) - 7.61 million viewers
EastEnders (BBC One) - 7.55 million
Strictly Come Dancing Christmas Special (BBC One) - 6.98 million
Call The Midwife (BBC One) - 6.83 million
Miranda (BBC One) - 6.67 million
Coronation Street (ITV) - 6.41 million
Doctor Who (BBC One) - 6.34 million
Emmerdale (ITV) - 5.53 million
Downton Abbey (ITV) - 5.52 million

Long to reign over us
God save the Queen well done your Majesty bravo !

Benny-the-British-Butcher

I see the Queen got the number three slot on Christmas Day

Christmas Day top 10
Still from Mrs Brown Boy's showing Cathy Brown (Jennifer Gibney) and Agnes Brown (Brendan O'Carroll)
Mrs Brown's Boys was the single most watched programme for a second year in a row
The Queen (BBC One and ITV) - 7.82 million
Mrs Brown's Boys Christmas Special (BBC One) - 7.61 million viewers
EastEnders (BBC One) - 7.55 million
Strictly Come Dancing Christmas Special (BBC One) - 6.98 million
Call The Midwife (BBC One) - 6.83 million
Miranda (BBC One) - 6.67 million
Coronation Street (ITV) - 6.41 million
Doctor Who (BBC One) - 6.34 million
Emmerdale (ITV) - 5.53 million
Downton Abbey (ITV) - 5.52 million

Long to reign over us
God save the Queen well done your Majesty bravo !

There's a good peasant.

awesome to see more of the album spoken about in print. for sure gonna settle with me as one of his best im thinking

There's a good peasant.

Sorry she came second in the top ten (silly me to much peasant juice I guess)
What place did silly Steven come in at with his channel 4 alternative Christmas Day speech?
Oh silly me again ! That's right I remember, they never asked him in the first place did they he made it up for a bit of cheap attention.
He's a bit behind on the celebrity death statements as well unless tty closes over the festive period or maybe he's in bed singing still ill

Best albums of Moz's solo career: (1) Vauxhall & I, (2) Your Arsenal, (3) Viva Hate, (4) World Peace, (5) Southpaw Grammar. For me Quarry doesn't even make the top 5 despite some great singles. World Peace is definitely an album of which he should be very proud and bodes well for his next.

Quarry is much better than "World Peace".

That Damon Albarn album is seriously over-rated as has been his whole career. These people who suck up to the music papers get rewarded in spades. He can't sing and his songs are either nursery rhymes or sound like Eric Idle wrote them on a bad day.

What place did silly Steven come in at with his channel 4 alternative Christmas Day speech?
Oh silly me again ! That's right I remember, they never asked him in the first place did they he made it up for a bit of cheap attention.
He's a bit behind on the celebrity death statements as well unless tty closes over the festive period or maybe he's in bed singing still ill

Here's a New Years Resolution for ya, Ben: Work on your writing. More often than not you come across as a babbling, ranting idiot. So unless that's what you want (are?), you might want to start using more paragraphs, a few commas, punctuation etc.

Not to mention the contents of your posts...don't get me started on that.

quarry and world peace are kinda parallel in my mind at the moment. quarry is classic moz while world peace gave me something new in the music and i liked it a whole bunch. the flamenco alone was worth the price

LOL, good one.

Here's a New Years Resolution for ya, Ben: Work on your writing. More often than not you come across as a babbling, ranting idiot. So unless that's what you want (are?), you might want to start using more paragraphs, a few commas, punctuation etc.

Not to mention the contents of your posts...don't get me started on that.

No need for the capital R in resolution, ya should be you, Ben should be Benny, the full stop after writing should have been a comma ! The last sentence should have ended with : them or those.
Thanks.

Sad son,

"World Peace" is just another example of how terrible Jesse Tobias is at music composition.

we'll let you know

La petite mort by James was for me one of this years best releases, curse curse, frozen Britain, interrogation, moving on ( bloody hell what a video was that ? Made me cry), all I'm saying, whistleblowers (4kin grt)
Pride of Manchester, thanks Tim and co keep it up.

Ask that other panto villain Johnny Barleycorn or have a listen on U tube.

Sad son,

"World Peace" is just another example of how terrible Jesse Tobias is at music composition.

we'll let you know

In his solo career Morrissey has chosen to work with replaceable lawnmower parts and that has been his downfall.

The more I listen to World Peace, the more I fall in love with it. Admittedly, it doesn't surpass my favorite Morrissey records, but I didn't expect that it would. For me, You are the Quarry, Vauxhall and I, Your Arsenal, and Bona Drag defined him as one of the greatest lyricists in the history of pop music, and I don't know if that caliber of writing can ever be matched again, by Morrissey or by anyone else; but, what I do know is we're here and it's now, and I am grateful for the new music.

While a few records will always be my favorites, probably because they have such a strong emotional connection to specific times in my life, all of them have value. This is certainly true of World Peace. What I love most about the first section of World Peace is Morrissey's romantic view of modern life. He challenges all of the societal institutions that we have been told will provide us with happiness, success, safety, and security: he questions the validity of education, government, marriage, family, justice, cultrual traditions, and even the arts. If we follow the rules, these institutions are suppose to ensure contentment. As most of us know, this is not always the case.

The second disc is by far my favorite. It has a very nostalgic, classic Morrissey sound. Drag the River and Forgive Someone are the kind of tracks, like I Know It's Over, Come Back to Camden, Trouble Loves Me, and so many others, that leave you feeling like you've just had a good cry, or you desperately need to have one. You play them over and over again, and it never feels like it's enough. In spite of being labeled a "cult member', I would never give Morrissey a free pass on throw away songs. This record is a worthy contribution from a man who has given us relevant music in four consecutive decades. How many other artists can make that claim?

Some posters have stated that it doesn't live up to the standards that Morrissey set so high right from the beginning. I disagree, but even if that were the case, is it realistic to expect someone to hit the height of his career at 55? Most artists have their greatest achievements early on; there seems to be an urgent need for profound and prolific expression, but this cannot be sustained and most just burn out and fade away. But Morrissey is still here; he's still writing impactful songs and he still provides a powerful live performance that touches the audience in ways that most singers could only hope to do.

I'm glad that he has created such a strong record, and I am relieved that he made it through this tour with minimal drama. I hope that this is a good omen for 2015.

Wishing you all a happy and healthy new year!

lynnda

thats a tough one for me. quarry is lyrically fantastic and the music while a little understated is classic moz. world peace offers up a grab bag but its such a great one that its treasures should be obvious to anyone who can play. theyre parallel in my head at the moment in terms of worth. after ringleader which i was pretty happy with i didnt expect the music to go in such a great direction and its made me really excited, more so than in a while, for his next album

Re: "World Peace..." #19 in Les Inrocks top 100 albums of 2014

La petite mort by James was for me one of this years best releases, curse curse, frozen Britain, interrogation, moving on ( bloody hell what a video was that ? Made me cry), all I'm saying, whistleblowers (4kin grt)
Pride of Manchester, thanks Tim and co keep it up.

Ask that other panto villain Johnny Barleycorn or have a listen on U tube.

He's behind you! ;)

La Petite Mort is a stunning album. The first track alone is lyrically more powerful than the entirety of World Peace. It's packed full of songs with great hooks. Moving On, about the death of Booth's mother, is both heart-breaking and uplifting, and, as you say, the video is a marvellous, emotional thing.

Martin Rossiter and Tim Booth, both of whom have lived with the accusation of being Morrissey-light for three decades, have both produced recent albums infinitely more interesting than Morrissey has managed since Quarry. The Defenestration of St. Martin from 2012 and La Petite Mort are indispensable albums. They have things Morrissey, sadly, cannot currently produce.

Morrissey can hire musicians, hire producers, he can scribble lyrics and shoehorn them in, but there is no wit, no humour, and no heart, the very things he based his career upon. World Peace is like a third world hotel. You can see it, you can touch it, but it's all a bit wonky, and you are left with the feeling a stiff breeze will carry it away, as, indeed, it did.

I suspect the real reason some people defend World Peace is for the same reason I once defended Kill Uncle all those years ago. At the time I didn't want to believe he could produce something so uninspired, and hoped it was an aberration. Back then he followed up with Your Arsenal and Vauxhall & I, and a huge sigh of relief went up across the land. This time will he even get the opportunity? If he does, then like 1991, he surely cannot possibly come up with anything worse, so it must, by definition, be better or equally terrible. To that we must then factor in his wilfully self-destructive opinions, which have skilfully alienated every credible media outlet on the planet and it's an uphill battle.

I'm not sure he has the will to climb out of the grave he's dug for himself. Let's see.

- - - Updated - - -

pffft.... World Peace reigns over Quarry!

Do you wear spectacles, and if so, how do you keep them on without ears?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom