World Peace Is None Of Your Business: 1 year later

It's been a year? Already? I still keep thinking somehow this a "new" album.

When it first leaked online I listened to it pretty obsessively for about two weeks. I really liked it. It certainly is a departure from the direction of the preceding two albums, which while I seem to be the only person to like Years of Refusal, was probably a good thing.

That being said while I still hold a high opinion of it as time wore on it has not been an album that I have frequently returned to. One of Our Own and Art Hounds were in heavy rotation for sometime after the whole album ceased to be, but I don't find myself compelled to keep going back to it like I do other albums. To be honest, I listened to it for the first time in awhile on my way to Madison Square Garden. I had forgotten how powerful Mountjoy and Oboe Concerto were and how much I like Istanbul and Staircase, but I haven't broken out my vinyl copy of it in sometime.

Of the album proper, there's only two songs I don't love (Earth is...and Kick The Bride) and I don't even mind those just don't rate them as high as the others.

I must be the only one who doesn't have a problem with Earth... I thought it was great live here in Sydney too! Kick the Bride... is one of my faves on the album.

The Bullfighter Dies doesn't do much for me on the album but when it's played live I find it very listenable.

On the second disc I don't like Art-Hounds.

Last edited:
I'd go with the following running order to bump it up to "perfect" status...

1. World Peace Is None of Your Business
2. Staircase At the University (without all the Spanish shit)
3. Neal Cassady Drops Dead
4. I'm Not a Man (without long ass intro that I'm sure SEEMS cool as an idea or in a performance lead-in but not on the record where you can barely even hear it)
5. Kiss Me A Lot
6. Istanbul
7. Kick The Bride Down The Aisle
8. The Bullfighter Dies (my only complaint is this song is too short; maybe needs to have another chorus looped on or something)
9. Mountjoy
10. Art-Hounds (maybe without weird ass beginning thing)
11. Oboe Concerto

...something like that.

I'd go with the following running order to bump it up to "perfect" status...

10. Art-Hounds (maybe without weird ass beginning thing)

I have to agree. The bads intro and overall arrangement when they first played it in 2011 at Brixton was perfect...why meddle with a masterpiece?

It started and remains an album of highs and lows, in my opinion.

It's nuts how much I still listen to it, honestly. I also can't believe anyone couldn't love "Art-Hounds"

sorry but thats me and i guess marr. its alright though as im a fan of earth is. guitar in that song is pretty awesome the way it crashes and fractures/splinters

Uneven but good overall. Certainly worthy of a follow-up as I'd love to see how this musical phase evolves. To me his last few albums work more as collections of songs and less as albums with coherent running statements/themes. That's fine of course but when I listen to an album like Vauxhall or Arsenal they seem like complete pieces- World Peace is so disjointed it seems like a collection of scraps like Bona Drag or Swords- full of great songs but nothing tying them together.

Last edited:
World Peace is so disjointed it seems like a collection of scraps like Bona Drag or Swords- full of great songs but nothing tying them together.

I would agree that World Peace is uneven. But Bona Drag should more accurately be described as a collection of masterpieces.

I would agree that World Peace is uneven. But Bona Drag should more accurately be described as a collection of masterpieces.

I actually considered taking Bona Drag out of my comment because I didn't really want it to sound like I meant Swords was as powerful as Bona Drag. I, more or less, agree with your comment :)

Back
Top Bottom