YoR songs in the Moz Top 100?

I was browsing the other day and I came across this thread:

http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=83646

How many of the YoR songs (and b-sides) do you think would make it into that Top 100, especially considering that only one Ringleader song (Pigsty) made it?

Anyone know the calculation Houdini used to get those results? It would be interesting to do polls for the new songs in a few months time, once they've all settled. Maybe Houdini's already planning it.

*sigh*

Excuse me, many of us still haven't listened to the album yet.

Could you give us at least a year to have another Houdini polls, please? :(

I was browsing the other day and I came across this thread:

http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=83646

How many of the YoR songs (and b-sides) do you think would make it into that Top 100, especially considering that only one Ringleader song (Pigsty) made it?

Anyone know the calculation Houdini used to get those results? It would be interesting to do polls for the new songs in a few months time, once they've all settled. Maybe Houdini's already planning it.

It's a fair question and one that I feel at least part-qualified to answer!
It looks like there should be a few more in the top 100 this time. Our response to Paris suggests it could just about nudge the top 100 (it seems to be considered on a par to You Have Killed Me).
Sounds like there are about four songs which are better than Paris on the album so I'd guess there might be 4 or 5 in total in the top 100. Hopefully, one or two of the b-sides will be good enough too...

Yes, a lot of people have asked me to continue with the polls, even last year, with the 3 new b-sides. Now with 10 new songs (we already did That's How People Grow Up and All You Need Is Me) plus fresh b-sides coming up, it will be worthwhile to continue. However, it will be best to let the songs sink in before asking people to vote, so I will start the polls somewhere in April or May.

As for which songs will make the top 100, it's always hard to predict.
Only 1 song from 2006 made the cut, so the standards are pretty high.

That was a great job -- one of the best things produced in the forums over the years.

I often want to look at just the Moz solo efforts as a separate list. For example, Life is a Pigsty coming in at #20 (or thereabouts) in the solo canon gives it more context, I think.

Did you somehow delineate Smiths and solo songs in Excel (assuming that's what you used to sort them?)

Anyway, I think you're right that two or three months after the legit release of Years would be best.

Cheers.

Yes, a lot of people have asked me to continue with the polls, even last year, with the 3 new b-sides. Now with 10 new songs (we already did That's How People Grow Up and All You Need Is Me) plus fresh b-sides coming up, it will be worthwhile to continue. However, it will be best to let the songs sink in before asking people to vote, so I will start the polls somewhere in April or May.

That was a great job -- one of the best things produced in the forums over the years.

I often want to look at just the Moz solo efforts as a separate list. For example, Life is a Pigsty coming in at #20 (or thereabouts) in the solo canon gives it more context, I think.

Did you somehow delineate Smiths and solo songs in Excel (assuming that's what you used to sort them?)

Anyway, I think you're right that two or three months after the legit release of Years would be best.

Cheers.

Yes, I made seperate list for Smiths and Morrissey-songs (as well as lists per album, year, composer etc). All can be found in the link above.

The Morrissey-top 161 is on page 2:
http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=83646&page=2

This was the top 25:

1) Everyday Is Like Sunday 9,59
2) Suedehead 9,55
3) Now My Heart Is Full 9,55
4) Speedway 9,54
5) The Last Of The Famous International Playboys 9,46
6) Why Don’t You Find Out For Yourself 9,45
7) Jack The Ripper 9.26
8) Late Night, Maudlin Street 9,24
9) Trouble Loves Me 9,14
10) Hairdresser On Fire 9,13
11) Seasick, Yet Still Docked 9,10
12) The National Front Disco 9,09
13) November Spawned A Monster 9,08
14) Will Never Marry 9,03
15) Nobody Loves Us 9,01
16) First Of The Gang To Die 9,00
17) The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get 8,97
18) Irish Blood, English Heart 8,97
19) I’ve Changed My Plea To Guilty 8,97
20) Sister I’m A Poet 8,94
21) Life Is A Pigsty 8,92
22) Tomorrow 8,87
23) Piccadilly Palare 8,83
24) Disappointed 8,81
25) You’re Gonna Need Someone On Your Side 8,71

Yes, I made seperate list for Smiths and Morrissey-songs (as well as lists per album, year, composer etc). All can be found in the link above.

This was the top 25:

2) Suedehead 9,55
4) Speedway 9,54
7) Jack The Ripper 9.26
9) Trouble Loves Me 9,14
15) Nobody Loves Us 9,01
22) Tomorrow 8,87
24) Disappointed 8,81

These things are highly subjective, of course. My own favourite Moz song - "Lost" - isn't even in the top 25. I think Birthday will get in there, possibly Carol. And for me, Skull, Mama, Paris, and OK are just as good as many of those in the list...

Great stuff - really enjoyed it the first time around.

Funnily enough I think My Dearest Love has the best chance of making the Top 100. I'd expect Birthday and Carol to be close, but then, I thought Dear God Please Help Me and Ganglord would be in the top 100 too.

Yes, I see that now. Lots of other data mined from the master list, too. Best Moz b-sides is interesting. Jack the Ripper, the studio version, at #1? Must be all the heavy breathing.

Surprised there weren't any magazines that ripped off your work.

This was the top 25:

2) Suedehead 9,55
4) Speedway 9,54
7) Jack The Ripper 9.26
9) Trouble Loves Me 9,14
15) Nobody Loves Us 9,01
22) Tomorrow 8,87
24) Disappointed 8,81

Oh, and what songs got the most and least number of votes? Most attention grabbing and most ignored, if you will.

Yes, I see that now. Lots of other data mined from the master list, too. Best Moz b-sides is interesting. Jack the Ripper, the studio version, at #1? Must be all the heavy breathing.

I don't think the poll specified a version, so people just voted based on their favourite.

Oh, and what songs got the most and least number of votes? Most attention grabbing and most ignored, if you will.

Nothing against Houdini, but the biggest problem of the polls is, not all the users regularly took part in.

I and Karin (aka vicarinatutugal) will organise a new series of polls in 2010 which is Top 100 Smiths / Morrissey iconic images. ;)

Back
Top Bottom