Your favourite Morrissey lyric

Essex's Shelagh Delaney

The Girl Least Likely To
I am sure that this thread has been covered but a) I am new here and b) we all love the old Moz and it never hurts to discuss his lovely, lovely words.

I think all of his lyrics are brilliant (other than possibly "in the bar, with my head on the bar"!!) but my favourites are probably "call me morbid, call me pale" (as I have been called both!) from 'Half a Person', "this is the seaside town, they forgot to close down" from 'Everyday is like Sunday' and "Jesus made me so he should save me" from 'November Spawned a Monster'.

I could go on all day with this, but those are my favourites.

Oh, and of course, I hold a special affection for the line "do you have a vacancy for a backscrubber...." ;)

So many spring to mind but one of my fave's is from I Know It's Over, the one which says:

And as I climb into an empty bed,
Oh well, enough said.

Brilliant!!

"I know it's over, and it never really began, but in my heart it was so real." is also an excellent line from that song. You have inspired me to go and listen to it again!

Oooh and pretty much every line from Shelagh Take a Bow- 'how can someone so young sing words so sad?' That songs brilliant because it is both profound AND makes you want to dance with your arms in the air like a tit.... "Throw your homework onto the fire la la la la la la."

Lol, told you I could go on about this all day. :)

So many to choose from, but my favourite is:

'Life is very long, when you're lonely' - The Queen is Dead

Very true.

And of course:

"A hostage to the kindness
And the wheels underneath her" - November Spawned a Monster

I'd better log off, else I'll be at this all night.

Oh I've just thought of another brilliant line that nearly reduces me to tears every time:

Gasping - but somehow still alive
This is the fierce last stand of all I am

Gasping - dying - but somehow still alive
This is the final stand of all I am.

An excellent one!

You know what else is brilliant-

"I decree today that life is simply and not giving/ England is mine/ And it owes me a living" from Still Ill.

Oh I've just thought of another brilliant line that nearly reduces me to tears every time:

Gasping - but somehow still alive
This is the fierce last stand of all I am

Gasping - dying - but somehow still alive
This is the final stand of all I am.

Good choice. I can't get enought of this song, though it breaks my heart every time I hear it.... :(

My choice would be:

"When we're in your scholarly room, who will swallow whom? You handsome devil" :eek:

and

"Your leg came to rest against mine, Then you lounged with knees up and apart
And me and my heart, we knew, We just knew, For evermore"

Uff, I can't choose only one... but here's one of my favs:

Oh, so I drank one
It became four
And when I fell on the floor...
... I drank more

:D

But there are many ones, and like someone said above we could be the whole night with this. He's the best lyricist I've ever read.

another favorite from I don't owe you anything
Too freely on your lips
Words prematurely sad
Oh, but I know what will make you smile tonight

Life is never kind
Life is never kind
Oh, but I know what will make you smile tonight

"Spending warm summer days indoors,
Writing frightening verse to a buck-tooth girl in Luxembourg" (Ask)

" Slap me on the patio, I'll take it slowly" ( Reel around the Fountain)

These are but two of so many. Can't go on, would be here all night!

"There's nothing wrong with you, ohhhhh."

SO many come to mind its very very difficult some which always struck me though :

On these cold leather seats well, it suddenly struck me , i just might die with a smile on my face , afterall .
I've seen this happen in other peoples lives and now its happening in mine.

I also ADORE
1.- in the corner of your room can you hear me? - when your dancing and laughing and finally living , hear my voice in your head and think of me kindly.

2. - further into the fog i fall.
3. - You're just like me, just like me
And your life has not even begun

"And you can tell I have never really loved
You can tell, by the way, I sleep all day"
From 'Seasick, yet still docked'. One of my favorite Morrissey songs of all time.

Oh my lord i love " theres strange logic in your clumsiest lines, it stayed emblazoned on my mind" because this is exactly how i consider the words of morrissey.

So many to choose from, but a couple of my favourites are:

from November Spawned: "I am a symbol of where sex mad lovers must always draw the line"

from Last Night I Dreamt: "Last night I felt real arms around me"

from William: "How can you stay, with a fat girl who'll say, ooh would you like to marry me"

Magnificent stuff.

Yikes! There are SO many.

EPBabe, I second the "your leg came to rest against mine, Then you lounged with knees up and apart And me and my heart, we knew, We just knew, For evermore"

A bunch of others come to mind...

But still I'd leap in front of a flying bullet for you

The devil will find work for idle hands to do

Does the body rule the mind or does the mind rule the body

No baby pulled screaming out into this seething whirl by chance or whim or even love

Learn to love me, assemble the ways, now today tomorrow and always

Park the car at the side of the road, you should know, time's tide will smother you and I will too

Fifteen minutes with you, I wouldn't say no

I still don't belong to anyone - I am mine

Back
Top Bottom