The Morrissey-solo Wiki is a continual work in progress, most of the data still needs to be populated. See the To Do page if you want to help.
Hairdresser On Fire
|Name||Hairdresser On Fire|
|Release||15 February 1988|
Here is London, giddy of London Is it home of the free, or what?
Can you squeeze me Into an empty page of your diary And psychologically save me? I've got faith in you
I sense the power in the fingers Within an hour, the power Could totally destroy me Or it could save my life
Oh, here is London "Home of the brash outrageous and free" You are repressed But you're remarkably dressed, is it real?
And you're always busy, really busy Busy, busy, oh, oh, hairdresser on fire All around Sloane Square
And you're just so busy Busy, busy, busy scissors, ooh, oh Hairdresser on fire Only the other day
Was a client, over-cautious He made you nervous And when he said "I'm gonna sue you" Oh! I really felt for you
So, can you squeeze me Into an empty page of your diary And supernaturally change me? Change me, change, oh
Here in London "Home of the brash, outrageous and free" You are repressed but You're remarkably dressed, is it real?
And you're always busy Really busy, busy clippers Oh, oh, hairdresser on fire All around Sloane Square
And you're just too busy To see me, busy clippers Oh, oh, hairdresser on fire Only the other day
Play count (Morrissey concert): 178
Morrissey live history:
- Adelaide, Australia 2002-10-17 (Morrissey concert)
- Akron, Ohio 2000-02-14 (Morrissey concert)
- Anaheim, California 2002-09-13 (Morrissey concert)
- Anaheim, California 2004-04-18 (Morrissey concert)
- Athens, Greece 1999-11-06 (Morrissey concert)
- Athens, Greece 2002-11-08 (Morrissey concert)
- Athens, Greece 2002-11-09 (Morrissey concert)
- Austin, Texas 2019-09-20 (Morrissey concert)
- Aylesbury, England 1999-12-06 (Morrissey concert)
- Belfast, Northern Ireland 1999-11-25 (Morrissey concert)
- Bona Drag
- Suedehead (single)
- The CD Singles '88–91'
- The HMV/Parlophone Singles '88–'95
- Viva Hate
- Who Put The 'M' In Manchester?
- ¡The Best Of! Morrissey
- Bass Guitar, Guitar - Stephen Street
- Cello - Mark Davies (2)
- Cello - Rachel Maguire
- Cello - Robert Woollard
- Drums - Andrew Paresi
- Engineer - Steve Williams (6)
- Guitar, Keyboards - Vini Reilly
- Management - Gail Colson
- Photography By [Picture By] - Eamon J. McCabe
- Producer - Stephen Street
- Viola - John Metcalfe
- Violin - Fenella Barton
- Violin - Rick Koster
- Voice - Morrissey
Originally issued with the Japanese edition of Viva Hate.
Pressed with black labels, and 非売品 (Promo/Not for Sale) printed on the labels. B-side graphic-etching of Morrissey “HAIRDRESSER ON FIRE” and the silhouette artwork used for the Suedehead single. One-sided, black-&-white, English/Japanese lyric insert included.
- Hairdresser On Fire - Discogs master release: https://www.discogs.com/master/4632
- Hairdresser On Fire (7" 45 RPM Single Sided Single Etched) - Discogs release: https://www.discogs.com/release/8905152-Morrissey-Hairdresser-On-Fire
"Suedehead" is the debut solo single of English singer Morrissey, released on 15 February 1988. The track was featured on Morrissey's debut album, Viva Hate, and the compilation album Bona Drag, the latter of which also featured the B-side "Hairdresser on Fire". The artwork of the single features a photo taken by Geri Caulfield during a Smiths gig at the London Palladium. "Suedehead" charted higher than any of the singles released by Morrissey's former band the Smiths, peaking at No. 5 on the UK Singles Chart and reaching the top 10 in Ireland and New Zealand. The music video, directed by Tim Broad, features Morrissey walking through the streets of Fairmount, Indiana, the hometown of actor James Dean, including shots of the school where Dean studied and the Park Cemetery, where he is buried. Other allusions to Dean in the video include a child (played by Sam Esty Rayner, Morrissey's nephew, who went on to direct the video for "Kiss Me a Lot" in 2015) delivering to Morrissey a copy of Antoine de Saint-Exupéry's The Little Prince, Dean's favourite book.
Related Forum Threads
- Morrissey A-Z: "Hairdresser on Fire" - Morrissey-solo (Mar 16, 2021)