The Morrissey-solo Wiki is a continual work in progress, most of the data still needs to be populated. See the To Do page if you want to help.
Shoplifters Of The World Unite (single)
|THE SMITHS Single|
|Name||Shoplifters Of The World Unite|
2:58 (Instrumental outtake)
3:03 (Instrumental demo)
|Art work||Elvis Presley's first press picture.|
Taken by James R. Reid in 1955.
|Vinyl Etching||ALF RAMSEY'S REVENGE|
|Publisher||Rough Trade Records (UK)|
Sire Records (US)
|Format(s)||7" Vinyl, 12" Vinyl, CD|
|Chart position||UK #12|
Shoplifters Of The World Unite
→Sheila Take A Bow
- An instrumental demo of this song appears on The Smiths – Unreleased Demos & Instrumentals bootleg LP.
Learn to love me Assemble the ways Now, today, tomorrow and always My only weakness is a list of crime My only weakness is well, never mind, never mind
Oh, shoplifters of the world Unite and take over Shoplifters of the world Hand it over Hand it over Hand it over
Learn to love me And assemble the ways Now, today, tomorrow, and always My only weakness is a listed crime But last night the plans of a future war Was all I saw on Channel Four
Shoplifters of the world Unite and take over Shoplifters of the world Hand it over Hand it over Hand it over
A heartless hand on my shoulder A push and it's over Alabaster crashes down (Six months is a long time) Tried living in the real world Instead of a shell But before I began I was bored before I even began
Shoplifters of the world Unite and take over Shoplifters of the world Unite and take over Shoplifters of the world Unite and take over Shoplifters of the world Take over
- Directed by Tamra Davis
Play count (The Smiths concert): 1
The Smiths live history:
Play count (Morrissey concert): 219
Morrissey live history:
- Akron, Ohio 2000-02-14 (Morrissey concert)
- Albany, New York 2012-10-18 (Morrissey concert)
- Albuquerque, New Mexico 1997-10-24 (Morrissey concert)
- Ann Arbor, Michigan 1997-09-24 (Morrissey concert)
- Athens, Greece 2012-07-16 (Morrissey concert)
- Atlanta, Georgia 1997-11-15 (Morrissey concert)
- Atlanta, Georgia 2004-10-22 (Morrissey concert)
- Atlantic City, New Jersey 2013-01-12 (Morrissey concert)
- Auckland, New Zealand 2012-12-15 (Morrissey concert)
- Baltimore, Maryland 2007-10-31 (Morrissey concert)
- Live At Earls Court
- Louder Than Bombs
- The Complete Picture
- The World Won't Listen
- Who Put The 'M' In Manchester?
- Art Direction [Art Co-ordination] - Jo Slee
- Bass [The Bass Guitar] - Andy Rourke
- Drums [The Drums] - Mike Joyce
- Guitar [Guitars] - Johnny Marr
- Layout - Caryn Gough
- Lyrics By - Morrissey
- Mastered By - Tim Young
- Music By - Johnny Marr
- Other [Cover Star] - Elvis Presley
- Photography By [©] - James R. Reid
- Sleeve - Morrissey
- Voice, Words By - Morrissey
- Shoplifters Of The World Unite - Discogs master release: https://www.discogs.com/master/21113
- Shoplifters Of The World Unite (7" Single 45 RPM Solid Centre) - Discogs release: https://www.discogs.com/The-Smiths-Shoplifters-Of-The-World-Unite/release/4400294
Discogs information (additional release)
Custom pink inner sleeve with cat. no (RTT 195) written in white at top right-hand corner.
Cover star Elvis Presley © James R. Reid This record is dedicated to Ruth Polsky
© 1986 Warner Bros. Music Ltd. Made in England
Early UK copies were sold in a plastic carrier bag with "Shoplifter" printed on one side, and the cover art printed on the other side.
A [url=http://www.discogs.com/release/2335438]mispress of this 12"[/url] also exists with "You Just Haven't Earned It Yet, Baby" on the A-side.
- Shoplifters Of The World Unite (12" 45 RPM Single) - Discogs release: https://www.discogs.com/The-Smiths-Shoplifters-Of-The-World-Unite/release/385496
"Shoplifters of the World Unite" is a song by the English rock band the Smiths. Released in January 1987, it reached No. 12 in the UK Singles Chart. As with most of the Smiths' singles, it was not included on a studio album. It is featured on the compilation albums The World Won't Listen, Louder Than Bombs, Singles and The Sound of The Smiths. Another newly completed song, "You Just Haven't Earned It Yet, Baby", was originally intended to be the A-side of this single. It made it to the white label test pressing stage and approximately 900 stock copies of the single were manufactured. This aborted single mix can be heard on The World Won't Listen, while a remixed version is included in Louder Than Bombs.