How Has Morrissey Influenced Your Life?

What's the biggest influence he's had on your life?

• Sexuality.

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Vegetarianism.

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • Lyrics.

Votes: 12 28.6%
  • Poetry/more delicate things in life.

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Hair.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Clothes/Image.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Humour/Persona.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • He hasn't whatsoever - I am my own person.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.8%

• Total voters

mjp

Retired Mozerator
For me, he heightened my appreciation of lyrics more than anything else but I understand that some may have been more significantly than I.

Just wondered, that's all.

Interesting poll. But hard to answer. I think he changed the whole of my way of life (from Bona drag to Meat is murder and Will never marry). Because of his immense sensibility, i went into veg, and was a pashernate celibate for long. The more I dive into Moz the more i learn. He made me discover great artists i would never have heard of (Jobriath or Pessoa). But no way, my haircut is all but morrisseylike.

he made being single really really REALLY ok.

hard to say, a lot...i started hearing hear him when i was fourteen and thats two years ago. I would have been a complete different person if i havent heard This Charming Man, but i owe him so much. (i know, so cliche)

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by some of these options. Could you expand please?

Suzanne said:
he made being single really really REALLY ok.
Yes. this. Not REALLY ok, but better.

It's been a short time, but I think I became more open and radical in my opinions.

And more acceptable of who I am, although I'm not completely sure that's a good thing. It's probably easier to say - I'm a f***ed up freak, so leave me alone. Or maybe it's actually better to try to change something about you, get some help and become happier. :confused: I don't know the answer.

On a positive note, he (and you) made me feel less isolated and alienated. More included. For which I am grateful.

Sister said:
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by some of these options. Could you expand please?

I did try amending the options yesterday without any joy so here goes:
  • Sexuality - made you more comfortable with whatever you are.
  • Vegetarianism - have you given up meat as a direct affect of being a fan of Moz?
  • Lyrics - did you once enjoy crap, hollow, meaningess songs, whereas now, if the words don't sound like something from TS Elliott are you reaching for the shot-gun? (that's me because of Moz!).
  • Hair - do you style your hair like Moz?
  • Clothes/Image - do you dress like Moz?
  • Humour/persona - do you find yourself conciously trying to be like Moz (or at least the person he comes across as)? Do you use his wit for your own gags?
Does that help?

Sister said:
And more acceptable of who I am, although I'm not completely sure that's a good thing. It's probably easier to say - I'm a f***ed up freak, so leave me alone. Or maybe it's actually better to try to change something about you, get some help and become happier. :confused: I don't know the answer.

For me, that came with age, the older you get the more self accepting you will become. (I'm not that old so don't worry - you don't have long to wait!)

Sister said:
On a positive note, he (and you) made me feel less isolated and alienated. More included. For which I am grateful.

"He" = Morrissey.
"(and you)" = who?

• Sexuality - made you more comfortable with whatever you are. Perhaps - if being single is counted as a sexuality issue
  • Vegetarianism - have you given up meat as a direct affect of being a fan of Moz? Gave up meat long before getting into moz.
  • Lyrics - did you once enjoy crap, hollow, meaningless songs, whereas now, if the words don't sound like something from TS Elliott are you reaching for the shot-gun? (that's me because of Moz!). Always payed a lot of attention to the lyrics.
  • Hair - do you style your hair like Moz? n/a
  • Clothes/Image - do you dress like Moz? n/a
  • Humour/persona - do you find yourself consciously trying to be like Moz (or at least the person he comes across as)? Do you use his wit for your own gags?
    Don't have to do it really. I was actually shocked to see that someone can be so similar to me in so many ways, or at least I perceive him to be.
Does that help?
Thanks, i see what you mean, I still voted "other".

For me, that came with age, the older you get the more self accepting you will become. (I'm not that old so don't worry - you don't have long to wait!)
I already came to that. But not sure that self acceptance is a good thing in my case. Moz' example doesn't really inspire me as it doesn't look like he succeeded in happiology. I kind of hope to do better, although looking at how similar I am to him in many ways, it's quite scary that I'll end up like him.:rolleyes:
"He" = Morrissey.
"(and you)" = who?
People, who are attracted to him - fans.:)

This poll is somewhat unfair. I need to answer with more than one choice. Morrissey has influenced me in so many ways. I can hardly begin to explain. Of course, his wit and his outlook. It's always refreshing to find someone else whothinks along the same lines as yourself. His sexuality;he's not willing to restrict himself to any one thing and yet he is graceful beyond anyone I've ever seen and a total enigma to me, besides being someone I have nothing but complete respect and admiration for. And hell, yeh I really admire how he is private because why should people know what he does privately. his humour is great. I'm well impressed by anyone who believes in animal rights as we all should. And the whole 'I have forgive Jesus' stuff, well I had to laugh although some people I know thought he'd lost the plot. Hopefully he will keep surprising us! I better go to sleep now.....

trying to imitate anyone is sad. if reading Morrissey interviews or listening to his songs has given you some ideas that's one thing but it seems a lot of people go overboard. I think the only people that will be impressed are others who are also trying their best to be like Morrissey and I can't see it lasting very long as a way of life without becoming a parody very quickly. For one thing Morrissey rejects so many things that trying to be like him really would limit your options I would think. also trying to like all of the music he likes, good luck, and if you discover something new there that's great, but reading off your list of bands that you like that are Morrissey approved doesn't make you smart or aware or whatever.

that's why I try to be like Tupac. :D

If only more people had the Moz outlook and all the aggressive and non-aggressive homophobes could be transported safely away to a place where they'd be happy but the rest of us could be safe, even on Clapham.

Back
Top Bottom