Johnny Marr plays "Stop Me..." on "The Tonight Show"

Sorry Fred, Johnny sings as if he's in a bad high school/college cover band.

Disagree. The band on this tour (post-Alain, pre-Soloman leaving) have never sounded better. Yes, the This Charming Man live rendition was terrible, but there's a new fire in their belly and it's likely due to the fact that they actually made a unique and interesting record with WPINOYB.

Case in point, listen to any version of Hand in Glove from the beginning of the present European tour--miles better than Johnny's "Stop Me" cover.

No, Johnny's band is better.

Sorry to correct you.

Cheers.

I think anytime Johnny elects to play a Smiths song he is fair game the same as Morrissey is. Moz and his band have been slagged plenty of times on this site by a quote a few posters. That's OK if that's their opinion so be it. Certainly though the same rule extends to Johnny. Yeah he plays the tune nicely, not unexpected considering he is a great guitarist but he absolutely murders the vocal IMHO.

I guess to some extent it's what you prefer to hear more, a great vocal or fantastic music. Marr will never be able to recreate Morrissey's vocal and Morrissey's guitarists will never play as fluidly as Marr. Ultimately it comes down to who you think has created the greatest crimes against Smiths songs and for me it is Johnny hands down. I find his Smiths renditions unbearable. That new track I quite liked though :thumb:

yeah nicely said. i always use the word deft to describe how marr plays a smiths song but fluidly is a much better descriptor. more apt i think. ive seen both do both and didnt mind either and enjoyed both honestly. i dont think marr can sing but i dont care a lot of the time and just find other stuff to enjoy (its not painful or anything). seeing morrissey do still ill in pa was the bees knees and i about lost my sh!t though. the band wasnt as fluid but still, it sounded amazing.

Back
Top Bottom