Radio Ulster: Give The Smiths Back To The Irish (November 26, 2023)

p0gt7xm7.jpg

Give The Smiths Back to the Irish
Music fanatics Steven Cockcroft and Jason Carty are joined by author Sean Campbell to explore the Irish roots of legendary Manchester indie icons The Smiths.

Only on iPlayer currently - was going to make this a separate post, but until I have time to rip the audio, it'll keep.
Part of a series of give X back to the Irish.
30 minutes long.
FWD.

Edit:
Audio rip:

And download:

That's not even a picture of the Smiths. That, if I'm not mistaken, is Morrissey on TOTP doing Last of the Famous International Playboys, backed by Craig Gannon, Andy and Mike...
GIVE JOHNNY MARR BACK TO THE SMITHS
Johnny Marr Dont Take It Personally GIF by AbsoluteRadio

Dan, I don't think it's just the bbc, it's also itv, c4, probably others too. Along with neglecting THE important news, it's what they view as news (e.g. a pop group reunion, a movie review) that riles me. It's doing a great job in keeping people in the dark.
Absolutely, but if you switch on GB news which was meant to be the alternative and honest news, its just as bad really, an odd bunch of presenters with the complete opposite views which i still dont really trust.
Now who was it who advised us to stop watching the news, because the news contrives to frighten you?

Absolutely, but if you switch on GB news which was meant to be the alternative and honest news, its just as bad really, an odd bunch of presenters with the complete opposite views which i still dont really trust.
Now who was it who advised us to stop watching the news, because the news contrives to frighten you?
Bad as RTE might be, they did spin Spent the Day in Bed a couple of hours ago. Still getting in the pure drops under the radar :shootingstar:

dan iv been watching gbnews for about 18 months,it does have its faults but my god its refreshing not to see naga munchetty and charlie stayt on my tv.gb news is also the channel of choice in downing street.

dan iv been watching gbnews for about 18 months,it does have its faults but my god its refreshing not to see naga munchetty and charlie stayt on my tv.gb news is also the channel of choice in downing street.
Ive got to agree with you about Naga and Charlie Gordy, my other half cant watch em, condescending and patronising to a T.
Naga and Charlie i mean, not my other half .

Ive got to agree with you about Naga and Charlie Gordy, my other half cant watch em, condescending and patronising to a T.
Naga and Charlie i mean, not my other half .
well said dan,and your other half.

The sad thing about the distorted freakshow mirror of Irish journalism, (especially in the case of the 100% pro government and morally bankrupt RTE) is that there was very little coverage about the young victims. Instead the news focused on a few skumbags out to steal a free pair of Adidas runners. There's been zero follow up on how the severly injured five year old girl is, and zero mention of the well-known fact that the psychotic perpetrator was not Irish. Oh but you can't mention something like that. RTE turns my stomach with their deliberate dismal disregard for honest coverage of what really happens. Yesterday Paul Lynch won the prestigious Booker Prize for his novel Prophet Song - a dystopian vision of Ireland in the grips of totalitarianism. The way things are going it is hard to categorise that novel as fiction. Morrissey is right about the agenda of news media. Everyone has an angle that serves their twisted views best.
In the interview I watched of Matthew Collins, the former neo Nazi turned anti-racist spy activist, Collins commented that when he was arrested or being reported for his past criminal associations, the press often described him as Irish, despite him having been born and growing up in London. His father was Irish and had abandoned the family; one cause of his displaced resentment. He's not the only one with an Irish association to notice changes in public assignation of nationality depending on circumstances. I think it was similar for Oscar Wilde and others.

The Collins interview featured on the Tommy Tiernan RTE TV chat-show. It occurred to me that Morrissey could well fit into the type of quirky roster of guests thrown unsuspectingly into Tiernan's lap (the premise of the show being that the host is confronted by people of greater or lesser fame whose identity is kept from him until the interview, for the surprise live element.) I like the down-to-earth tone a lot, ranging from sensitive to playful. Patrick Kielty, now hosting RTE's long-running Late Late Show, is also an amenable person. Both Kielty and Tiernan are comedians, another plus, in my book anyway.

John Kelly included a couple of Smiths tunes in his set yesterday on RTE Lyric FM radio-
https://www.rte.ie/radio/lyricfm/my...418822-mystery-train-monday-27-november-2023/

That's not even a picture of the Smiths. That, if I'm not mistaken, is Morrissey on TOTP doing Last of the Famous International Playboys, backed by Craig Gannon, Andy and Mike...
yes, but this was pointed out much earlier and further up the thread.

Listen, what's with the "even"? Why the weird emphasis? Are you making a qualitive judgment on the entire documentary like a fool would?

Don't be a fool Lamplighter. Don't dance with destiny.

Moz and his 'big mouth'. There was indeed panic on the streets of Dublin last week. His ma and da were Dubliners so I can imagine Morrissey having a strong opinion about ordinary Dubliners being labelled 'far right' for not lighting candles and singing Don't Look in Anger following an attack on children. Maybe just as well he's in Tokyo.
Much more to the point, though, where is Bonfire? Has he bought it back yet?
You "can imagine Morrissey ..."
Straight out of the Malarkey playbook of madness.

Back
Top Bottom