Sandie Shaw On The Smiths

• Thread starter Deleted member 6305
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6305

Q. Tell us about that legendary performance of Hand In Glove on Top Of The Pops with The Smiths in the Eighties.

We just turned up and did it. Morrissey was in front of the stage watching us and, just enjoying himself. I just decided to go with the flow. There was no rehearsal, which is what I really liked about it, that it smacked of the sixties where you just walked off the street and just did it how you were. It captured that feeling and that’s why it worked with The Smiths. It was a great bridge between the sixties and the 80s, this huge leap in one less than three-minute song.

I also enjoyed doing Jeane with them. It was really emotional. I never knew what Jeane was about. I remember asking Johnny about it. He just said, "I dunno. I think it’s about his mum!"

The other song we did was "I don’t owe you anything", but I used to change the lyrics – instead of ‘too freely on your lips’ I would sing, ‘two freckles on your lips’…which amused Morrissey no end. Everybody thinks that Morrissey is really miserable. My experience of him was always rolling about laughing because he has such an incredible sense of humour. It’s easy to muck around with him. So my knowledge of him is as someone with whom you can have a good laff!

Q. So if you didn’t like the music at first why did you decide to do three songs with them?

I did "I Don’t Owe You Anything" first and I quite liked the sound of my voice and I actually enjoyed singing. I hadn’t sung for so long. I felt a great sense of freedom, liberation. We later did Hand In Glove in a completely different studio and then Jeane with just Johnny and Morrissey in another studio. Morrissey was not supposed to be on the tape but he did lots of wailing and moaning in the background (laughs). I don’t know what to say about that really!!! (more laughs).

Q. What do you think of Morrissey’s lyrics? Did you think they were offensive? Were you concerned about it before you met him?

I wasn’t concerned about that. Maybe he was selective in what he played to me. At that stage he was writing mostly homoerotic material. To actually admit to liking The Smiths was virtually coming out…. I remember George Michael saying to me that he always listened to The Smiths in the shower before he went on stage- and that was the first time I knew for sure about..(laughs) So that didn’t concern me, no. I just thought it strange that they would want to work with me, to ask me to do a spin on that.

:sick::D

Q. What was it like to be idolised by Morrissey?

Quite nice. I’m quite used to it (Sandie pulls a face - quite tongue in cheek). I’d recommend it for anybody – it’s very nice to be idolised by Morrissey. They should bottle it! (Laughs).

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't realise Georgios Panayiotou was a fan! Having said that Moz has started doing that clapping his hands thing that George Michael does when he performs live. The sort of thing your uncle does at wedding receptions when the dj plays a song with "a good beat". It's a recent addition to the Moz's live repatoire.

I didn't realise Georgios Panayiotou was a fan! Having said that Moz has started doing that clapping his hands thing that George Michael does when he performs live. The sort of thing your uncle does at wedding receptions when the dj plays a song with "a good beat". It's a recent addition to the Moz's live repatoire.

That is quite funny! Andrew Ridgeley always mentioned being a Smiths fan but in all my years of loving George and Moz I never heard George mention being a Smiths fan. Probably tried to keep that to himself knowing what Moz thinks of him!

Back
Top Bottom