So, it was one year ago to the day...

joe frady

Vile Refusenik
...that I saw Morrissey slay the National Stadium in Dublin :guitar:
The last time he played on European soil.
And one of the most glorious Morrissey shows I've ever seen.
Christ but it seems aeons ago!
A couple of weeks ago it suddenly struck me that I'd forgotten, completely, all the emotions and palpitations inherent in the Morrissey concert experience. I mean I could list them, coldly: from the panic/fear/paranoia/elation of the ticket-buying process, through the weeks and months of anticipation/obsession of the build-up to the concert, to the dry-mouth dread-joy of the hours prior and, hopefully, the sublimity of the show itself. But I could no longer, at this point, truly recall the actual feelings of those nights. I've been in a bit of a funk ever since.
Anyway, I thought a brief period of indulgent reminiscence of that wild night might hearten some of our Irish comrades who were there. In light of recent times in Eire, you may as well take hope from wherever you can find it.

A couple of weeks ago it suddenly struck me that I'd forgotten, completely, all the emotions and palpitations inherent in the Morrissey concert experience. I mean I could list them, coldly: from the panic/fear/paranoia/elation of the ticket-buying process, through the weeks and months of anticipation/obsession of the build-up to the concert, to the dry-mouth dread-joy of the hours prior and, hopefully, the sublimity of the show itself. But I could no longer, at this point, truly recall the actual feelings of those nights. I've been in a bit of a funk ever since.
Anyway, I thought a brief period of indulgent reminiscence of that wild night might hearten some of our Irish comrades who were there. In light of recent times in Eire, you may as well take hope from wherever you can find it.

Don't mention the war! Who'd have thought it'd come to this. :tears:

This memory has made my day, though. Thanks, Joe. Everyone was in happy form that night. Perhaps we could persuade Morrissey to come over very soon and do a benefit concert for the country?! His appearance would be benefit enough in any event. :guitar: He told us that, no matter what, we're all 'feckin' lovely' anyway, which is some consolation in these bleak days. :D

[youtube]naCpnL8gFmw&feature=related[/youtube]

Wow a full year!!!! "where does all the time go" A great night in the intimate stadium. Saw my first Moz concert there in 1991 hopefully I havent seen my last.

Goinghome that is the youtube clip we were discussing recently. You can clearly see him receiving your little gift which I am sure he treasures.

I am not going to comment on the shit our country is in. This song was released in 2003. It was as if the artist had a crystal ball. Vote DAMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rE01Ny1jGI

Celtic Tiger
Greedy, greedy, greedy, greedy, greedy
So greedy, greedy, greedy, greedy, greedy

Now they saw the Celtic Tiger in my home town
Brings jewels and crowns, picks you up off the ground
But the Celtic Tiger does two things
It brings you good luck or it eats you up for its supper
It’s the tale of the two cities on the shamrock shore
Please Sir can I have some more
Cos if you are poor you’ll be eaten for sure
And that’s how I know the poor have more taste than the rich

Hear the Celtic Tiger roar - I want more
Hear the Celtic Tiger roar - I want more, more, more

The fastest growing inflation rate in the world,
the cost of a run down house is absurd
This isn’t any age for a low income wage
Ask anyone who’s locked in a cage
A couple with kids can’t afford a place to live
Even if they have a good job
We’re bring robbed by the builders and the fat cat government
A league of greed and they don’t even need for a thing
It’s a sin
But it’s the nature of the beast
You’d better go and find a priest and confess
Because your greed is gonna leave you soulless

Where we gonna live, what we gonna do
We’ll have to move in with the woman in the shoe
They’re driving us onto the streets
While the fat cat in government cheats, and always
gets away with his crime
A kid steals a jacket and does time
Just look at the world around you
Tell why is there so much need
Because of greed

Wow a full year!!!! "where does all the time go" A great night in the intimate stadium. Saw my first Moz concert there in 1991 hopefully I havent seen my last.

Goinghome that is the youtube clip we were discussing recently. You can clearly see him receiving your little gift which I am sure he treasures.

I am not going to comment on the shit our country is in. This song was released in 2003. It was as if the artist had a crystal ball. Vote DAMO

Celtic Tiger

It’s a sin

gets away with his crime
Because of greed

That's the clip, cossy, go raibh maith agat.

Spot-on lyric from Damo, a man with his feet on the ground. Remember Morrissey's story about meeting him after the NS show?

Knock, knock
Brian Cowen: Who's there?
The IMF
Brian Cowen: No, it's not! :(

Go mbeannaí Dia dúinn.

That's the exact song I thought of when I first heard the news about Ireland the other day.

Celtic Tiger

It’s a sin

gets away with his crime
Because of greed

That's the clip, cossy, go raibh maith agat.

Spot-on lyric from Damo, a man with his feet on the ground. Remember Morrissey's story about meeting him after the NS show?

:D

Had to put Damo into a taxi after a few sherries.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDqzYP3ylLU

Funny clip. Where was it he said that the Taoiseach was (ugly)? Was it the same night? Can't find it in comments - http://tour.morrissey-solo.com/article.pl?sid=08/06/28/1552216

You going to Arcade Fire? They might do their Still Ill cover if we're good! Life Is a Pigsty, or Something is Squeezing My Skull, might be more apt! :)

The problems keep on piling up for Taoiseach Brian Cowen.

The economy is apparently hitting the skids, Irish voters said a definitive 'no' to the Lisbon Treaty and now, to add insult to injury, popstar Morrissey has said that he's ugly.

The cheeky swipe by the quiffed popstar came during an interview in the current issue of Hotpress magazine.

The Manchester singer had this to say of our beleaguered Taoiseach: "Look at Ireland's Taoiseach, Brian Cowen.

"He looks dreadful. He makes Gordon Brown look like Patrick Dempsey."

Apparently the outspoken star, who had mega hits like This Charming Man and How Soon is Now in the Eighties with legendary band The Smiths, thought that politicians are decided by looks rather than political merit.

"Could Ireland really not find someone better looking? Is it impossible? Even now in 2008?" he said.

This will probably be the last thing on Brian Cowen's mind while he deals with the fallout from the rejection of the Lisbon Treaty.

The problems keep on piling up for Taoiseach Brian Cowen.

The economy is apparently hitting the skids, Irish voters said a definitive 'no' to the Lisbon Treaty and now, to add insult to injury, popstar Morrissey has said that he's ugly.

The cheeky swipe by the quiffed popstar came during an interview in the current issue of Hotpress magazine.

The Manchester singer had this to say of our beleaguered Taoiseach: "Look at Ireland's Taoiseach, Brian Cowen.

"He looks dreadful. He makes Gordon Brown look like Patrick Dempsey."

Apparently the outspoken star, who had mega hits like This Charming Man and How Soon is Now in the Eighties with legendary band The Smiths, thought that politicians are decided by looks rather than political merit.

"Could Ireland really not find someone better looking? Is it impossible? Even now in 2008?" he said.

This will probably be the last thing on Brian Cowen's mind while he deals with the fallout from the rejection of the Lisbon Treaty.

Thanks for the cross-reference. This sort of comment is the least of Cowen's worries these days. To cap it all, the weather's come out in sympathy with all the lifestyle-freezing measures! Morrissey might care to comment on something for us soon though. He's been gone for some time... :pray:

Don't mention the war! Who'd have thought it'd come to this. :tears:

This memory has made my day, though. Thanks, Joe. Everyone was in happy form that night. Perhaps we could persuade Morrissey to come over very soon and do a benefit concert for the country?! His appearance would be benefit enough in any event. :guitar: He told us that, no matter what, we're all 'feckin' lovely' anyway, which is some consolation in these bleak days. :D

Looking at this clip reminds me how good it feels to be at a Morrissey concert.The National stadium was a great gig I was lucky enough to get a piece of Morrissey's shirt.

Only one word to say to the government...OUT OUT OUT

Jesus, I just got around to watching this clip. That person must have been right behind me, as that's exactly where I was standing. I think that's my windswept quiff bobbing up into shot, before he finds his zoom button!
Does anyone else recall a priest with an elderly blind man at the show? They were in front of me during the support, then headed into the moshpit :eek: I'm starting to think I may have dreamt this...

So IMF are coming to Eire...it's 'Unbelievable!' (A little early 90s pop humour there fur ya...)

Ahhh!! The memories, what an amazing gig.
Right now, feeling the pinch financially and freezing cold as more snow showers dump themselves on our crushed little island.
Please come back Morrissey, we need something to look forward to....

Jesus, I just got around to watching this clip. That person must have been right behind me, as that's exactly where I was standing. I think that's my windswept quiff bobbing up into shot, before he finds his zoom button!
Does anyone else recall a priest with an elderly blind man at the show? They were in front of me during the support, then headed into the moshpit :eek: I'm starting to think I may have dreamt this...

So IMF are coming to Eire...it's 'Unbelievable!' (A little early 90s pop humour there fur ya...)

The EMF song pun works well. :thumb:

Cool that you can see yourself in the clip.

I ddin't see a priest with an elderly blind man. Somehow it's perfect. :D

When These Charming Men play in Dublin, a little entourage, including daytrippers from across the water, congregate. You could be one. :guitar:

As luxgirl says, a dose of Morrissey would lift all our spirits. A toast to him (it's only tea) wherever he is, and midst brand-new broken fortunes, may we all be well and happy. :)

Back
Top Bottom