Stereotypes In The Media - Good or Bad?

Well, as a Media Studies student I have studied stereotypes on a number of levels and under application of a range of critical theories. I think that stereotypes do more harm than good in the media but what do you think

By the way, I am not stating that there is nothing good about stereotypes; I just feel that there are more bad things associated with them. I think the best thing you can say about stereotypes is that the allow instant audience relation to a media text.

Love PTxx.

Could one not say that the question posed could itself be perceived as a form of stereotyping...? ;)

In general I would say that stereotypes are bad, at worse dangerous. It can alter the perception of a news story (for instance) in the same way as if it were presented with a political/personal bias.

Probably completely unhelpful but that's my 2 cents.

Could one not say that the question posed could itself be perceived as a form of stereotyping...? ;)

In general I would say that stereotypes are bad, at worse dangerous. It can alter the perception of a news story (for instance) in the same way as if it were presented with a political/personal bias.

Probably completely unhelpful but that's my 2 cents.

Some interesting insight!
I agree that they can be dangerous and perhaps fatal.

A potential danger that stereotypes carry with them is that they cause us to have simplified ideas of people and places whether positive or negative. The stereotype, as I see it, is a blockade in the human mind which prevents one from unlocking a human, issue or place; we merely accept and conform to what media has taught us, or more precisely, indoctrinated us with. It is human nature to label and stereotype people, “…stereotyping is a natural function of the human and cultural mindset”. The media is drug with no rehabilitation clinics; we are addicted constantly and it brain washes us into creating an idea of everyone we pass; we see them as a creation with no depth rather than a living being. It can therefore be argued that as a result of the media constantly stereotyping they prevent us from getting to know who somebody is as opposed to who we think they might be.

Love PTxx.

Back
Top Bottom