That's How People Grow Up

the discussion, debate and critique of his music as well as news, information, and discussion related and in between the fan base.

I'm fine with people who dislike songs or albums and can justify themselves reasonably. There are many I myself do not like.

But do you honestly think "Well, it's shit, as is most of his stuff nowadays" counts as a contribution to a "discussion, debate and critique" of his music?

Why do so many people dislike this song? I love it. Please explain.

You shouldn't really make vague comments like this without backing them up.
There was a poll on the main Morrissey solo website two or three months ago asking us to vote for our favourite new song. 'That's how people' was revealed to be our favourite!
I think it's a good pice of music with some decent lyrics but the 'crashed my car' and 'sweetie' lines do put me off it.
I find that the case increasingly these days. When he does have a great piece of music to work with, he sometimes ruins it with a duff lyric.
Maybe he just needs a bit more time to get inspired enough to think up interesting things to say...

I'm fine with people who dislike songs or albums and can justify themselves reasonably. There are many I myself do not like.

But do you honestly think "Well, it's shit, as is most of his stuff nowadays" counts as a contribution to a "discussion, debate and critique" of his music?

Oh no... however it is more of a general observation as of late of what I have seen.

I agree that disagreement is more interesting on a forum. It would be nice, however, if people could express themselves in a less offensive way than the poster in question did.

As for the song: Even though I love it, I have to admit that the lyrics sound a bit commonplace. They are not as crisp and biting as they could be. The line "for a love that never comes from someone who does not exist" is the best line to me, and is something many can relate to. I certainly can. The song speaks to me about my life. Isn't that what makes a good song?? It's also about being self-involved. Many of us share this problem with Morrissey. How often do I have to remind myself that my life could be a lot worse? Many peoples' worst nightmare is to be paralyzed, and he alludes to this in the song. He says that look, you could be paralyzed, but yet it still hurts not to have someone to love. I feel, when I hear this song, that Morrissey got inside my head. I feel like I could have written this song myself, if I was talented as such. In conclusion, the song really speaks to me.

Back
Top Bottom